• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latin Lovebird (1 Viewer)

janvanderbrugge

For a moment I did think of adding this to the thread "Most Beautiful Sounding Birdsong", but I realise hardly anyone of the readers there would agree (nor do I, for that matter).
Try to hum or whistle these music notes: mi-fa-fa. If it sounds familiar, you'll nearly automatically go on with: mi-mi-re-fa-fa, but that's out of order here. In "A Guide to the Birds of Venezuela" (Meyer de Schauensee & W.Phelps, Jr., 1978) I found this description for the sound of the Undulated Tinamou (Crypturellus undulatus): "Song: most frequently a melodious, melancholy whistle which sounds like the first 3 notes of the Barcarolle in Offenbach's opera, The Tales of Hoffmann." After reading of course I checked things in xenocanto. I would say: the plaintive song of this bird is pretty recognizable, but I heard only a series of three equal notes or a series which sounds mi-mi-fa.
The piece from Hoffmann's Tales is one of the most famous love duets in music. The text to it is: "Belle nuit, oh nuit d'amour, souris à notre ivresse", which means: Beautiful night, oh night of love, smile at our drunkenness. (Yes, souris is also the French word for: mouse, but that does not rhyme with the mood here . . ) It is easy to think of the Tinamou calling repeatedly "I love you" as a Latin lover pur-sang. If there would be a duet, it would be of two males; well, let them be, the female Tinamu's role is to listen and maybe respond without any music, or else to stay out of two males's affair (;^)
Enjoy the surprising music of nature, stay well and tuned,
Jan van der Brugge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back