• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

No need to apologise, you are entitled to an opinion. Following your suggestion I have taken another look at the photo, and still consider that (in my personal opinion) it looks like a Common Sandpiper.

Personally I don't agree. I fully agree with your point made here and elsewhere that Green Sandpiper can show a paler centre to the breast (although I would usually consider that it is not as clear-cut as on the subject bird). However, on Green Sandpiper the darker sides to the breast cut directly across to the flanks, rather than creating a 'bulge' on the sides of the breast as on the subject bird (reminiscent of eg a Sand Plover or Kentish Plover).

Please check carefully who you are responding to. You will see that the location given in my brief profile lists my location as Hong Kong, not the UK (I was originally from the UK but have lived here for 15 years). Both species are common migrants and winter visitors here, I easily see 10-15 per day when in the wetlands. I am referring solely to my personal experience, and personally I see very few Green Sandpipers perched (actually I don't remember seeing one perched, but I may be wrong) but see this regularly with Common Sandpipers.

The legs are easily visible because they are silhouetted against a pale background. The tail (if it is present) would be against a dark background. The two are therefore not comparable.

Overall I personally still think that the bird looks most like a Common Sandpiper, and others clearly agree with me. You are perfectly entitled to disagree, and the image is fairly poor for judging with absolute certainty either way. Personally if I were the observer, based on these comments, I would leave this as an unconfirmed 'sandpiper sp.', but that is their personal decision to make.

A few disagree with me for some reasons such the pleasure to go against me, I don't say that for you. It's a Green Sandpiper, but who cares finally ? That wouldn't be the first nor the last mis-identified bird on BF.

Valéry, so why didn't you just pull out before? You continued to insist that you are right in a very aggressive way. Don't know why this was necessary.

My last statement was certainly not intend to support your way of commenting here... If you have the feeling some are just opposing to your ID because of you it might be just the mocking tone you sometimes choose. Whether you feel like defending yourself or not in my opinion it would be good if you sometimes take a breath before letting it out. Just meant as a friendly advice...

Well said

Valéry, so why didn't you just pull out before? You continued to insist that you are right in a very aggressive way. Don't know why this was necessary.

My last statement was certainly not intend to support your way of commenting here... If you have the feeling some are just opposing to your ID because of you it might be just the mocking tone you sometimes choose. Whether you feel like defending yourself or not in my opinion it would be good if you sometimes take a breath before letting it out. Just meant as a friendly advice...

I just reviewed Sergio's original post - what must he be thinking. He posted a blurry photo of a sandpiper that he was unsure of, seen in January.
Given that he is familiar with C.S. he didn't observe any other behavioural features such as constant bobbing, flight or call which surely would have nailed the id. Being unsure of the image he sought other people's views, aware that Green. S. also occurs as a winter visitor.
What follows then started out as people's thoughts and supporting reasons but quickly degenerated into some sort of on line brawl.
I've also reminded myself of Birdforum's guidelines to posting and behaviour. Yes, good hearted and intense debate but to respect others ( not become personal ). This post has attracted a bit of interest but remains a very divided opinion on what the mystery bird was.
Where to next? Hopefully a bit of calm.

Actually, can we say for certain that the bird is perching and not standing in the water a few metres behind the branch? The size relations in picture might be distorted due to zooming effects.

Yep, then they will say that you show an abnormal psychology and complain to mods that you insulted them, paranoia is a common trait also it seems

Giving animal food to grass-eating cows led to Mad Cow disease. Giving meat to fruit-eating primate we are have led to Mad Human disease. Have look to what we are doing to the World, to ourselves and nature, wrong diet might be the explanation of our insane behaviour finally...

You should read this
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6392/987

And watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlTBC91L-x0

You might understand, unless your wrong diet destroyed your brains already... yes, vegan are much healthier than dead-bodies eaters. Proofs here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...-expectancy-eggs-dairy-research-a7168036.html

Giving animal food to grass-eating cows led to Mad Cow disease. Giving meat to fruit-eating primate we are have led to Mad Human disease. Have look to what we are doing to the World, to ourselves and nature, wrong diet might be the explanation of our insane behaviour finally...
I didn't really want to get involved in the mudslinging here, but you should really know better than to spread such misinformation. Our species evolved as an opportunistic omnivore and looking at other primates, most of them are similarly opportunistic. It's pretty safe to assume that our ancestors always ate meat of some kind or the other, if given the chance.
Also, the body of a dead animal is generally referred to as a carcass.

Can we now get back to my point? I feel it's kind of important to the interpretation of the picture.

Wow, so many messages :eek!: .

It is interesting to read all your different reasons to defend it is Common or Green sandpiper, but please, don't take it so seriously o:D ! I'd prefer you just to help me id. the bird and not to start arguing about personal topics or points of views.

Trying to lead this to a more or less pacific end of post, I would more likely say it is a Common one (it is the one I have always seen here, most people voted Common and, in my opinion, it shows a white mark going into the dark area at shoulders level).

Anyway, I would really love to hear new ideas and opinions. Answering to the question of where the bird is perched, I believe it is on the branch and not behind, in the water.

And remember...keep it polite please!

Thanks to all of you!

I didn't really want to get involved in the mudslinging here, but you should really know better than to spread such misinformation. Our species evolved as an opportunistic omnivore and looking at other primates, most of them are similarly opportunistic. It's pretty safe to assume that our ancestors always ate meat of some kind or the other, if given the chance.
Also, the body of a dead animal is generally referred to as a carcass.

Can we now get back to my point? I feel it's kind of important to the interpretation of the picture.

Well, may be you should read this before following the popular belief. :)

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back