• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inmature Redstart? (1 Viewer)

JLRamos

just a birder
Spain
Hello everyone

Today in Guadalajara (Spain) I observed this bird that I believe is a redstart. Could it be an immature male?

The greyish tone of the throat and shoulders (scapulars?) is a beginning of adult plumage.

Thanks in advance.

Colirrojo Real 1140369.JPG
Colirrojo Real 1140363.JPG
Colirrojo Real 1140358.JPG

Why 2nd year and not 1st, Ken?
I’m not too hot on ageing (personally and avian 🤣) however, I had an all grey bird in the garden early September a few years back and I was assured that it was a 1st year bird (hatch year). This bird looks somewhat more advanced than that Simon?

The bird shown in the OP's photos corresponds quite well with the description and image of a 1st winter male Common Redstart in Collins (Svensson et al).

I don't see many redstarts, but I have seen autumn males with variously obscured head markings and some that are hardly distinguishable to my eye from spring males (at least in the brief glimpses they tend to give). The field guides I have are not particularly consistent on this matter.

I’d be very interested to know as to when male Common Redstarts achieve “full” breeding plumage, as I’ve seen presumed 2nd calendar year Cyprus birds in April, with a “mostly”adult head and “tan uppers”.
Don’t know if this suggests 2 years or more, for full attainment?

I’m not too hot on ageing (personally and avian 🤣) however, I had an all grey bird in the garden early September a few years back and I was assured that it was a 1st year bird (hatch year). This bird looks somewhat more advanced than that Simon?

I remembered I have an id paper from Species Files – Guia Blasco Zumeta de Aves

As far as I can see it doesn't mention 2nd year birds after spring, from which I infer they are indistinguishable after the complete postbreeding moult.

OP's bird still looks like a 1cy male to me.

It’s ‘in the buff’ Ken! Well, underparts are. The upperparts, let’s go for grey/brown ( I wonder if Dulux are still recruiting for paint colour naming executives ;) ).

It’s ‘in the buff’ Ken! Well, underparts are. The upperparts, let’s go for grey/brown ( I wonder if Dulux are still recruiting for paint colour naming executives ;) ).
To my eye Richard, the upperpart colour is a concolourous grey, unfortunately it didn’t profile itself for “the camera” but it did to my eyes.
I never noted any buff to the upperparts when it was less than a metre from the window….try specsavers.😉

So as we have an ‘International special relationship’ I can safely call you a dopey twerp for not reading my post carefully enough Ken;): « It’s ‘in the buff’ Ken! Well, underparts are ». To spell it out without my attempted humour, on your bird the underparts look off white with buffish-brown flanks, upperparts grey/brown.
I think that the OP photos are of a 1st winter male, buffish fringed greater coverts and incomplete supercilium would suggest that.
Have a good Monday All.

So as we have an ‘International special relationship’ I can safely call you a dopey twerp for not reading my post carefully enough Ken;): « It’s ‘in the buff’ Ken! Well, underparts are ». To spell it out without my attempted humour, on your bird the underparts look off white with buffish-brown flanks, upperparts grey/brown.
I think that the OP photos are of a 1st winter male, buffish fringed greater coverts and incomplete supercilium would suggest that.
Have a good Monday All.
Richard, my understanding of “in the buff” refers to being naked? (don’t know if our non-English contributors would understand this?)
I was referring to the bird’s “uppers” not it’s “unders”.
Regarding the ageing of Redstarts!
I can only comment on what I’ve seen.
On a single occasion in Shropshire many years ago, I witnessed, what looked like an immature male Redstart assisting an adult female with the feeding of juveniles that were dispersed amongst the ferns on the ground!
Make of that as you will….left me somewhat perplexed😮
Don’t think they’re double brooded oop North?, so was it a 2nd calendar year unmated bird from the previous year helping out……I don’t know…..and never will.😮

Richard, my understanding of “in the buff” refers to being naked? (don’t know if our non-English contributors would understand this?)
I was referring to the bird’s “uppers” not it’s “unders”.
Maybe, in the World-of-Ken, this is how one a) acknowledges that one has publicly misrepresented someone's words and b) apologizes for it.
what looked like an immature male Redstart assisting an adult female with the feeding of juveniles
Take the simplest explanation: that (as is common in black redstart) it was a 1-year-old breeding in immature plumage. No mystery.
But... Salop? 'North'?! 🤣 - the view of the UK from London...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back