• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two from Barbados (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

1. This is baffling me. Probably an easy ID but I am totally stuck. The closest I have got is Northern Mockingbird but (a) not found on Barbados and (b) don't think has an orange lower mandible.

2. Could you help with ID based on profile. From Wikipedia, there are only 3 raptors found on Barbados (apart from accidentals) - Osprey, Northern Harrier and Peregrine. Can discount Osprey (I think). My inclination is for Peregrine but has the straight tail of a Northern Harrier.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Cheers
John

Attachments

• BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 123
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 104
1. This is baffling me. Probably an easy ID but I am totally stuck. The closest I have got is Northern Mockingbird but (a) not found on Barbados and (b) don't think has an orange lower mandible.

How about Caribbean elaenia? Proportions look about right. Hint of double wingbars although the detail level isn't great. Any more images? Can you post the original image?

The stance looks mockingbird like (and in Barbados, that would have to be tropical mockingbird) rather than elaenia like, but I think that is one of the cases where a single picture shows something less common; I agree on C Elaenia as the most likely.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back