• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D700 replacement???? (1 Viewer)

Rich. It's all smoke n mirrors and I feel that what ever you shoot in the real world especially if you only stick images on the web. Very few people in these forums actually work as full time photographers. Most people will gravitate to the feelings of the pros or the press. I praise the photographer for reviewing it as a sports body but he does have a D4s in his pocket as well.
The original comment when I opened this thread was the rumour of a new action FX body. Nothing more.

I don't really care what people use as long as they get out there and take photographs. And I guess that most people will buy the best that they can afford at the time they buy.
If some one offers an opinion I will offer mine lol

I will seriously consider an FX action body as long as it's not a replacement for the D4s and is pitched above a D610

....poor light as we get in the UK for most of the year. This may have an impact of choice of body you may choose.
Yes, I can imagine this is true, and also that the "optimal" MP resolution for the DX area might vary depending on the prevailing light conditions.

IMHO there is still a mindset that believes to get the shot you can't loose the 1.5x benefit,...
It's a complex subject with lots of contributing factors and potential misconceptions. The use of the word "reach" is a good example. The DX or crop sensor doesn't really give you "more reach." Only your lens choices can do that.

As for "what Nikon will do," I'll make a bold prediction: The 7D Mk2 will be a huge success, selling quite well. Nikon will therefore announce either a D7300 or a D9300 by the end of the year. I hope it's a D9300, but as Rich said, Nikon won't give us any hint of its plans (some might call this cowardly).

The DX vs. FX discussion will continue, but it belongs in a different thread and I apologize if I derailed this thread too much.

Dave

Last edited:
My exact thoughts until I bought the 800e. I can shoot anywhere between full frame and DX with no loss of quality. The versatility is superb. Okay it's a little slow but I'm not a speed freak as I hate deleting images. Hand on heart since I bought a D700 and then the D800 I've never reached for my D300.

I've just put up an image on Flickr of a SEO that is about 1/10 of the original image taken on the D800e in 1.2 crop mode. I think it demonstrates why I don't consider a DX body as a necessity
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeleto/

Just looked at the shot on Flickr and it is a cracker but I am curious about one thing... Do you print your images often? Just wondering as I fave found that while a heavy drop can look great on the screen it won't print to a high enough quality (making biggish prints). I have never shot with the D800 so was wondering if this is the case for you or not?

The new D750 could indeed by a worthy D700 replacement, as 24mp is more than sufficient for most situations.
That said, I'm still tempted by the D810 - let's see what gives…..

Just looked at the shot on Flickr and it is a cracker but I am curious about one thing... Do you print your images often? Just wondering as I fave found that while a heavy drop can look great on the screen it won't print to a high enough quality (making biggish prints). I have never shot with the D800 so was wondering if this is the case for you or not?

Hi what size? On my website I posted 3 osprey images one full frame one 50% and the last 25% of the original. I've just had printed the 50% on canvas 60x40cms and it looks very nice and sharp. My home has a number of prints from varying crops and I have no complaints. As for the SEO I guess it would print as seen on the web at 8x10 with no concerns.

The new D750 could indeed by a worthy D700 replacement, as 24mp is more than sufficient for most situations.
That said, I'm still tempted by the D810 - let's see what gives…..

Yeah saw the rumour updated. The focussing and frame rate will be paramount. With a 24Mp FX sensor if they offer 8fps and the same focus module as the 810 and D4s it may be the one I've been waiting for.

Hi what size? On my website I posted 3 osprey images one full frame one 50% and the last 25% of the original. I've just had printed the 50% on canvas 60x40cms and it looks very nice and sharp. My home has a number of prints from varying crops and I have no complaints. As for the SEO I guess it would print as seen on the web at 8x10 with no concerns.

That's good to know that it would print well. I guess I might have to try printing from cropped images again - haven't done so for some time I am still stuck thinking hownit looked with older, lower res cameras.

My guess would be 8 fps with autofocus and a buffer as the D810. Metal alloy body and build resembling the D810 rather than the D610. Would love two CF slots but we're probably on for 1 CF and 1 SD. Hope it comes in around £2000 which would be midway between the D610 and the D810.

Don't think we'll see above 8 fps as then it would start to compete with Nikon's flagship the D4s.

Bet it'll have a new battery and grip so I could add to my ever increasing collection of Nikon chargers if I purchased one.

Just an example of the crop ability of my D800e, this image was taken through a 200-400vr they speak for themselves, the full image 7360x4912 and a wee crop, the crop has had a slight tweak in curves and a high pass run, the full image just converted to jpeg. Thats about the max you could crop before quality really takes a dive but at 800pixels along the longest edge useable for web work
Sorry I've derailed my own thread

Attachments

• full image crop test.jpg
    full image crop test.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 88
  • crop test.jpg
    crop test.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
After having given up hope for a D300 successor I decided to go for the D810. I don't own a 500mm lens but in crop mode the 300/2.8 VR preforms way better than the D300. It's a fantastic camera specially if one uses it for landscape photography too. The Cormorant and the Pond Heron are shot in Jpg<FX 300mm with a 1.2 crop, The Cisticola in Raw;DX mode (1.5 crop};300mm+1.4 converter.
The Dragon FX 24-70?2.8

Attachments

• BAA_0245.jpg
    BAA_0245.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 66
  • BAA_0249.jpg
    BAA_0249.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 85
  • BAA_1539.jpg
    BAA_1539.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 74
  • BAA_1552.jpg
    BAA_1552.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 82
  • BAA_1129_ed.jpg
    BAA_1129_ed.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 71
If the rumours are true it only supports what I have believed and mentioned in these forums for the past year. If it is an FX body I guess that the pro DX really has had its day in the Nikon empire.

If the rumours are true it only supports what I have believed and mentioned in these forums for the past year. If it is an FX body I guess that the pro DX really has had its day in the Nikon empire.

An incredible and very disappointing decision by Nikon if true.

Should soon see the D750 specs; hope is not just a revamped D610 with a flip screen.

Well the specs are out on NR, very disappointing IMO. Quite expensive too.

Canon must be happy.

New battery grip may increase fps?, plus Sandisk are making 512GB SD cards = 1 TB onboard D750 (2xSD card slots).

Last edited:
Looks like a re-vamped D610 with a flip screen. It's selling point I guess would be it's video capabilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back