• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mabel's UK Trip (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
I arrived in England in the morning. I was going to my cousin's Confirmation. Yeah, spend time with the family and my little cousins right? WRONG! You gotta do some sneaky birding wherever you can! Motorways, sightseeing, garden daydreams! Just don't make your family think you're ignoring them, and you'll do fine. And I did better than fine. I was only there for a few days. I will report on each birding day individually, and see what you think.

I stayed in Hertfordshire in a really old, small English village, which is just what I imagined such villages to be! Rural magic!

08/06/2007
Busy day today, but saw a few birds. First birds I saw were Skylarks. Always a treat! As I set out, I saw Magpies, Pied Wagtails, a flock of about 75 Rooks, Jackdaws, and a single, soaring Lesser Black-backed Gull. Woodpigeons are the most common bird I saw on the whole trip. Passing by a small lake, I saw a Mute Swan but little else. Swifts screeched overhead constantly, and were accompanied by Swallows and as I continued, I could see House Martins availing of the wonderfully steep English angles of the old village houses. Very common birds I know, but here's one that you don't really see in Ireland, but I saw over in England: Carrion Crow. The all black familiar crows were my taste of the truly British birds. As Rabbits ran from me walking, I hoped that I would see even more.
After the BEST DINNER EVER, I walked into an old Church for an evening stroll. I could hear very loud singers and I forgot my bins!! Never theless, I brushed up on my songs a bit before I left Ireland, so it wasn't a total loss. Turned out to be Chaffinches and Blackbirds! As Grey Squirrels leaped about on the old tombs of the graveyard, Blue Tits gave out yards to me as I walked past. Feral Pigerons also were present. Then I heard a really odd call. Repetitive and familiar from my recently studied recordings. GREEN WOODPECKER. I saw it fly off, cackling. And that, my friends, was my first ever woodpecker!
With this in my mind, I went onto the Confirmation itself! Brilliant!

09/06/2007

Nursing the after effects of drinking after the post-ceremony party should mean I would not be up and certainly not out before noon. Well how could I NOT go? I was in this wee village in the middle of the countryside. I got up at six and took a stroll through the farmer's fields and the surrounding woods. The place was ALIVE! As hunter's horses were exercising (like all the English I encountered, even the hunters were very polite), I took my camera and my bins to see what I could find.
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Collared Dove
Magpie
Chaffinch
Song Thrush
Mistle Thrush

Pheasant (nearly tripped over one as it ran in front of me)
Blue Tit
Great Tit (which followed me about for a bit)
Coal Tit
Woodpigeon
Feral Pigeon

Corn Bunting (found one calling. A sad moment.. I remember seeing one before they became extinct as Irish breeders)
Blackbird
So that was it, but I saw another lifer! A Great Spotted Woodpecker! My second woodpecker!
And that was my second day's birding.

But I saw a few mammals too. Including a few "lifers".
Field Vole (not in Ireland)
Roe Deer (not in Ireland)
Fox
Rabbits
everywhere.

10/06/2007
WHAT a day this was! THE BEST birding experience ever!
I started out on a normal walk. This time I walked towards the more upland parts. I passed through the usual woods and fields, and I pretty much saw what I saw the day before. However, as I neared the hill, I got my first ever Buzzard! I was so chuffed! Bit of a bogey for me. There was one near my home a few months ago, and I missed it. Not only that, but everyone says they are increasingly common, THEN HOW COME I'VE NEVER SEEN ONE!
So that was brilliant! Then I found out I had to go on a family trip. So that effectively ended my early start. Here's what I saw:
House Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Raven
Carrion Crow
Magpie

Buzzard (Lifer)
Woodpigeon
Stock Dove
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Starling
Herring Gull
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Blackbird
Skylark
Meadow Pipit
Wren
Sand Martin
Sparrowhawk

Also got a Grey Squirrel!
But after the Buzzard, I wanted to see if I could find Tawny Owls, yet another species you just don't get in Ireland. So a night walk I went on.
It was UNBELIEVABLE!
Got me wild Badgers so I did! They bolted, but I could clearly see them. I They went for a nearby bank, and I didn't know if there was a set or not, so I decided to leave them be. They never re-appeared. Also got Hedgehogs in the garden as I departed, which was nice. My second lifer of the day was about to arrive. I went to the woods, but before that, I had to go through a field. It was dusk. What did I see? Perched on the fence and then dipping and diving through the field? A Barn Owl! It was incredible. as the light faded, I could see it's ghostly forn dropping and rising into a sea of wheat! I saw no Tawnies (which were a target of mine), but I didn't care.
Badgers, Barnies and Buzzards! What a day. There were tears of happiness in my eyes!

11/06/2007
My last days birding (yes, it's nearly over, you all can relax!)
You would think that this day's excitement would not be as good as it was previously. Well, you're right, but I did see some great birds!
Blue Tit
Turtle Dove(purring away, on its own-Lifer)
Little Owl (calling during the day, as expected-Lifer, and not in Ireland)
Great Tit
Robin (first one of the trip)
Chaffinch
Canada Goose (Lifer)
Mallard
Coot (saw a family, including one parent fighting a flock of Mallard, and the other pecking a begging youngster's head)
Moorhen (giving the Coots a wide berth)
House Sparrow
Carron Crow
Jackdaw
Rook
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Feral Pigeon
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Raven

Herring Gull
Collared Dove
Starling
Blackbird
Wren

Cuckoo (last one of the England trip, and it was calling too-how fitting!)

Also got a Rabbit lol!

So there it is folks! I would like to say that I did not get two of my targets:
Tawney Owl or Nuthatch, but it was the best birding I've ever had.
The people are lovely and I will be back again, that's for sure!

Lifers:
Buzzard
Green Woodpecker
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Barn Owl (yes!)
Little Owl
Canada Goose
Turtle Dove

Attachments

• Moorhen1.jpg
    Moorhen1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 18
  • TombSquirrel.jpg
    TombSquirrel.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Pheasants.jpg
    Pheasants.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Woodie2.jpg
    Woodie2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
You jammy devil, Mabel! I'd give a lot to see that selection in the space of four days, perhaps I don't get out often enough. :-C

Very interesting to see the birds that you don't get at home, especially the Buzzard, as they are so numerous in this part of England, also the woodpeckers which, although not regulars in viewing, are certainly not uncommon. Hardly a visit out birding for me fails to produce a Canada Goose, but it is a while since I've seen a Turtle Dove in these parts.

You must let us all know what is special to Ireland so that when we all come to visit, we'll know what to look out for!

So glad that you enjoyed your visit, come again soon!

Hiya Mabel,
Aw, what a brilliant report. I honestly forget sometimes that the Birds I see regularly are not common to all. I'm always grateful when members list all the birds in their report. Brian often list's localised Birds that I need to read up on, so it's a great way to learn (for me)

I'm so pleased you managed to see some lifers especially Owls. You are either very lucky or a very clever Birder! I'm still buzzing from seeing 1 Owl!! I'm impressed!

Your trip sounded wonderful Mabel & I pictured the scene in the village & the Church. How lovely to join up with family in such a great place.
I'm planning a trip to a graveyard after reading the article in the BTO about graveyards being a good place to go for birds, bees & butterflies.

Well done with the Turtle Dove, I got a whisper that one was flushed near a Golf course yesterday, so that's my next target Bird.

Great read Mabel

Hiya Dude

Been waiting for this one. Hey man I only got my first UK Turtle Dove this year in Suffolk and you pop over and get one!!!
Pleased you got your Woodpeckers. Shame about the Nuthatch, but there's always another time. You don't want everything in one visit or it's not worth coming back, although best not tell your family I said that.
I had the reverse when I was in Northern Ireland (have you read the report? I want everyone to read it as Ireland is such a great place ;-)) with regard the crows. I just love Hooded Crows and there were numbers about and no Carrion as you say. Manx Shearwaters and Black Guiliemots too.

I must tell you we had three of our party claiming Willow Tit which do not occur in Ireland or if they do they would be extremely rare. I put it down to the sun!;) Must admit it reminded me that Marsh and Willow Tit do not occur there.

Great report Mabel. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

take care

Last edited:
Fantastic Mabel! You obviously had a great time and managed to see many very good birds in those short few days. I have still never seen several of those you mention (and some of the mammals too) so I guess I must not be trying hard enough!

Really enjoyed reading your report and sharing your delight in seeing the lifers and so much more. Hope you see the Tawny and Nuthatch next time!

Nice report Mabel, glad you enjoyed your visitB :)

Still waiting for my live Badger so you did a great job LOL

Matt

I am really pleased you enjoyed your trip to England, Mabel. I hope the weather was not too unkind to you.

Bridie

A wonderful report Mabel, but then again you never short change us with your reports:clap: :clap: As Kezza has said you have birds and mammals on your list that I too have yet to see! Well done! I am so pleased that the Woodpeckers were obliging for you too!

We shall have to have a BF & TS bash in Dublin and you can find a few of your birds for us Mabel....wouldn't that be great;)

Thanks for sharing your trip to England with us all Mabel, it has been a pleasure to read!:t:

There you go dude ! - Sounded like a truley magical experience. A fantastic account - I am gonna have to flip through my lame guide to British birds to gain an impression of what you saw . lol - I am glad you had such a great time dude !:cool: B :) :t:

That's *quite* the list you have in such a brief time. So many lifers too! Well done!!!! Wonderful photographs. Thanks for increasing the envy level on this end of the computer.

One question, please? Where did you stash your family while you got away for the birding adventures? LOL!

Lydia

Hi Mabel,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here in England. For a trip that wasn't a birding trip, you sure did see a great lot of birds!! and quite a few that I've yet to see! I'm particularly envious of the Owls, you lucky blighter!! Great report Mabel.
All the Best to You,

Thank you all for your replies!

Wendy, There's not a lot special over here. But you could try look for the four Irish "races" of Coal Tit, Jay, Red Grouse and Dipper. And I will be back soon!

Pie, Judo, Mary, Kezza, Matt, Bridie, thank you all so much.

Brian, I garuantee that was a Coal Tit! We never get Willow Tits... I think there's only one confirmed record...

Dave, I was truly blessed-cheers dude! B :)

Pam, I would so be up for that! It would be madness, could you just imagine!

Lydia, I was very, very sneaky, as I couldn't stash anyone away!

Great report Mabel.
Wonderful to hear you saw your first ever woodpeckers, such beautiful birds aren't they?
And quite a few other lifers there too - including a few birds I have yet to see myself! And Badgers too - you lucky thing. :t:
There are some lovely little rural areas in Hertfordshire, I'll be down that way later this week with my family, not specifically a birding trip but as always I'll be taking my bins with me. ;)

Really pleased you enjoyed your visit.

Take care,
Janay

Hi Mabel i have just found your post and what exelent stuff it is. It sounds like one of those clasic english villages. Buried in the country side like that. It makes me quite nostalgic for my stay in kent!. Arent Barn Owls great! I think they must be up there in my top ten of Brittish birds. I to have yet to see a nuthatch as well. But live in hope. Enjoyable report thanks for that.
Cheers for now
DAF

Hi Mabel,
I enjoyed reading your report of your trip to England. A great selection of birds (I'm like you ~ just where is this oh so common buzzard;) )
Sounds like you had a wonderful time and really enjoyed yourself. Thanks for sharing it with us

Best wishes

Fantastic report Mabel! Seems like you were really in the right place, at the right time! That list of yours is staggering!

Thanks,
Kristina

hi Mabel,
Sounds like you enjoyed your first ever trip across the Irish sea.
You have quite a few birds there that I've yet to see this year. Turtle dove would, corn bunting would be lifers for me. and I've yet to see a little owl this year.

As for buzzards, well, Here in Wales we have the greatest concentration of buzzards in Europe, no wonder they're so easy to see.

Thanks guys!

Dizzy, glad to see you're in the same boat as me! It's terrible when you read about something constantly, yet it never seems to materialise!

Ant, my new website is called envy.com. Check it out. :D

Dafi-I agree, Barn Owls ARE great. Twas a fluke I saw it though.

Janay, enjoy your trip! It really is a lovely place.

Kristina, it was incredible, but like I said, it really was a fluke.

Thanks for reading, folks.

Great list of Birds and Mammals there Mabel, well done.
If your finished with the study B :) there's a Spoonbill :eek!: hanging around Dublin area, seen at the weekend on Bull Island. Howth Head has some great birds at the moment, Kittiwake/Fulmar on eggs when I was there last so should be hatched now. Oh and the Merlin at the Sluice River while you were away, may be hanging around the estuary. As for Buzzard, check Malahide Estuary, Buzzard show most days..:t:

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back