• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin-Mere. (1 Viewer)

pauco

Старлин&
A bit wet and windy to start with but still very warm. Went straight to NWW hide, to see if there were any raptors about. After about half an hour first sight of female marsh harrier, she stayed around for 10 min's and was gone. After that just one sparrowhawk. other sighting's as listed.

1. Pair of Avocet's with 3 young.

2. Oystercatcher 6.

3. 50+ blackheaded gull's.

4. 1 lesser blackbacked gull.

5. Shellduck's hundered's.

6. 1 Pheasant.

7. 1 pair Shoveler.

8. 1 pair reed-bunting's

9. 1 Whitethroat. (Lifer for me)

A walk along the nature trail, saw a good number of song thrush's, nice to see. ps. this mile long walk has been tarmacked, make's it a very pleasent walk.

Called in at Martin Mere today, there was a nice Curlew Sandpiper in breeding plumage (my first for this year) and a Greenshank. Allso good numbers of Black tailed Gods and Dunlin. The only raptors I saw there today were 4 Buzzards. thopugh I did see the Marsh Harrier last Saturday (22nd).

Andrew said:
Surprising to see Avocets breeding there. Are they annual?
Hi Andrew. This is a 1st for Martin-Mere, they have bred at Marshside-RSPB, before. Another 1st for the mere is the amount of Lapwing's breeding success this year. :t:

bert.

Johnny1 said:
Called in at Martin Mere today, there was a nice Curlew Sandpiper in breeding plumage (my first for this year) and a Greenshank. Allso good numbers of Black tailed Gods and Dunlin. The only raptors I saw there today were 4 Buzzards. thopugh I did see the Marsh Harrier last Saturday (22nd).
Nice one Jonny, were about's were you? missed em by the look's of it !!! The reason i ask is i tend to stick to the NWW hide. I just find it better for Raptor's, but by your sighting's today i should move around a bit more! just lazy. Was the exhibition, for amphibian's- reptile's on? it was cancelled yesterday, just my luck as that was my main reason for going.
bert.

bert said:
Hi Andrew. This is a 1st for Martin-Mere, they have bred at Marshside-RSPB, before. Another 1st for the mere is the amount of Lapwing's breeding success this year. :t:

bert.
Great Stuff! I was there the end of last winter and missed the Taiga Bean Geese, Ferruginous Duck and Red-breasted Goose by a whisker!

Hi Bert, sorry about the delay in replying I've been having a lot of trouble with my computer lately, getting a new one next week so hopefully will be able to catch up on everything. I was in Millers Bridge hide with my wife, I was there from about 9-30 to 12-00. I like to get there as early as possible before it gets too busy. I'm not sure if the exhibition was on I didn't see any signs etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back