• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher of Ecuador (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this flycatcher? Taken near Cosanga, Ecuador in July.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A8754.jpg
    _A0A8754.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 30
To me it looks more like White-tailed Tyrannulet. The belly does show some yellow wash, but it is not really vivid yellow. The superciliary is not really strong in front of the eye, the wing bars are quite tawny/buffy toned. All that makes it look more like White-tailed, at least to my eye. White-tailed is also almost always somewhat to much more common than Sulphur-bellied, though both occur at San Isidro/Yanayacu. Much easier to do these guys on voice :)

To me it looks more like White-tailed Tyrannulet. The belly does show some yellow wash, but it is not really vivid yellow. The superciliary is not really strong in front of the eye, the wing bars are quite tawny/buffy toned. All that makes it look more like White-tailed, at least to my eye. White-tailed is also almost always somewhat to much more common than Sulphur-bellied, though both occur at San Isidro/Yanayacu. Much easier to do these guys on voice :)

You may well be right and clearly know the area better than me. My experience of white-tailed is of a generally more washed-out coloured bird giving a different feel to the OP picture and (indeed) fairly close to the pics here:

but I agree that the pic isn't great for sulphur-bellied either.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back