• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 7x35B Shoulder Strap (1 Viewer)

rewjr80

I have an older Leitz 7x35B Trinovid that is in excellent shape with the exception of the shoulder strap. The attachment method is unique. It has a spring clip that attaches to a small post on the binocular. Generic replacement straps don't work. Does anyone know where to get a Leitz strap?
Or a way to modify the rivet on the clip to attach a new piece of leather or nylon? Thanks for the help.

Hi rewjr80,

Firstly, a warm welcome to BirdForum

Secondly for others, a couple of images showing the proprietary strap connector system used on the early Leitz Trinovids
(the images are from a 2015 eBay listing by balou1847)
The system was discontinued in the early 1970’s, and from then on loops for standard 10 mm strap ends were used

As to a replacement, hopefully someone will have a suggestion?

John

(Hi Jerry, while you were posting . . . )

Attachments

• Leitz 8x32 a.jpg
    Leitz 8x32 a.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Leitz 8x32 b.jpg
    Leitz 8x32 b.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Or a way to modify the rivet on the clip to attach a new piece of leather or nylon? Thanks for the help.

You could drill out the rivet and either bolt in a new leather strap, or put in a split ring that would enable you to use almost any type of conventional strap.

Hi,

A split ring will not help as there is nothing on the binocular to attach it to.

I have replaced the leather on these in the past by drilling out the old rivets and reassembling with new leather and leather rivets - but it is fiddly and there are springs inside which have to be assembled correctly.

Leica stopped selling new ones about 10 years ago.

Gary

I wonder if two micro zip ties looped together, one cinched tight around the small post, the other to a modern strap, might work.

It looks like a strap made out of 550 paracord might work? The paracord could be tied around the posts and then the strap could be padded or weaved.

I sometimes amuse myself by making leather watch straps and recently made a leather loop to attach to a pair of binoculars. Having looked at this particular problem I think the following leather loop design may work. You'll need a bit of patience and 1 - 2 hours of your time:

Materials required:

Old leather belt;
Craft knife;
General purpose glue;
Very sharp bladed scraper;

1. Find a piece of leather to make a securing loop with. I buy old leather belts from charity shops for £1 – £2.

2. Cut a strip measuring I would guess about 8 – 10 cm in length and 1 cm wide. The leather will need to be “shaved” to a thickness of about 2 – 3 mm I would think. I use a special “skiving tool” for this but you could probably improvise with something like a ceramic hob scraper or scraper to clean paint spots off glass. The important thing is that it uses a very sharp blade.

3. Make a small slit at one end of the leather strip just long enough to force over the head of the strap securing bolt fixed to the side of the binoculars.

4. Make a small hole at the other end of the leather strip about the same size or perhaps very slightly smaller than the bolt head.

5. Force the slit end of the leather strip over the bolt head. Apply a thin layer of quick drying general purpose glue to both ends of the last 2 – 3 cm of the leather strip and force the hole end of the strip over the bolt head so that both ends of the strip are now glued together.

If you want to make absolutely certain that the loop is secured to the binoculars you could then glue a couple of further very thin bands of leather around the end of the loop – one band above the bolt head and another below.

You can then insert a split ring over the open end of the loop which will accept a strap of your choice.

Very rough sketch attached.

Attachments

• Binocular loop instructions.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 34
I have a pair of 7x42B's with the same posts. I was able to attach mine with one of the Op Tech Super Pro straps:

https://www.optechusa.com/super-pro-strap.html

I can't remember if I got the "A" or "B" style, however, as it was a while ago. But they show the measurements on the link. You'll also have to buy the strap that goes around your neck. They're typically used on old heavy cameras, and they hold on to my binoculars just fine.

Edit: I got the "A" style, and it fits fine.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back