• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (40 Viewers)

Good work Eco, although I admit to being a tad jealous! I dipped the Waxwing that have been present on Mill Road,and still need Firecrest for the patch. Where did you have these birds? There are plenty of goldcrest near the churchyard, I keep looking!

Kieran- top birding. Would be interested if anyone can recall the arrival time of this bird last year?
Cheers,
Jim.

Firecrest was along the river path between the new and old hides but it was slowly moving towards the ferry pub it was showing well at times though, waxwings and redwings and a goldcrest in the church yard

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the arrival of wild swans in Norfolk today. Several lots of Bewicks came in off the sea at dawn this morning on the North Coast and this afternoon in the Bure valley one lot of 6 whoopers and about 20 lots of bewicks , most very high came up the valley heading westwards continuing untill well after darkness. An amazing amount of shoveller about at dusk in the Bure Valley too, I must have seen three hundred dropping to a flooded fen. I would guess Holland is starting to freeze up and I would expect Welney to have plenty of swans in the morning.

I just had 30+ Bewick's over my house in Old Catton (north side of Norwich) not a bird I thought I'd get on my garden list !

Firecrest was along the river path between the new and old hides but it was slowly moving towards the ferry pub it was showing well at times though, waxwings and redwings and a goldcrest in the church yard

Thanks for that, 2 species I have missed there then!
A good day for self-finds, 2 good ducks at whitlingham James. I wonder if the Scoter could be the bird Daniel Watson had in the Summer?
Cheers,
Jim.

So after Hunstantons Sunfish I see via twitter another one(?) Has washed up along the North Norfolk coast recently and a Bill Fish species washed up at Heacham Sunday. Wondering what could be going on? Have these fish summered into the North Sea and perished due to temperatures going down?

Really wish I could get out and have a look at the timelines locally to see what I could turn up & to do some birding but stuck in bed with tooth ache with a lot of dental work heading my way :(

A good day for self-finds, 2 good ducks at whitlingham James. I wonder if the Scoter could be the bird Daniel Watson had in the Summer?
Cheers,
Jim.

Thanks. No, Daniel's summer bird was a drake, this one was probably a juvenile, if not then a female.

Attachments

• Common Scoter (800x603).jpg
    Common Scoter (800x603).jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 128
19th November I think, but it was on private land so news wasn't released until the spring when it was visible from the road.

Was also present winter of 10/11 according to a lady from Natural England who I met near the mill south of Marlingford while searching for the Great White Egret.

Male Bearded Tit away from traditional areas was a very nice surprise on a walk yesterday on the coast, as were 3 flypast Red-Breasted Merganser.

I went to look for these but despite spending two hours in the area only had two fly overs... On the way home I stumbled upon a flock of 32 in the Range car park at Longwater (2.15) unfortunately I only got to watch them for a couple of minutes before they flew off.

Here are a few photos of them, not the best shots to say the least but they are the first I've put camera on this winter. Having looked at the info on the photos it seems that I had the pleasure of watching them for a mere 69 seconds!

Thanks for posting your wonderful photos. I enjoyed them very much.

As I scanned Abraham’s Bosom (Wells Woods), a Kingfisher belted away up the creek (without a paddle), oblivious to the sign. It called frequently and piercingly. On my way back, I was able to get a poor shot, in the low light.

On Salthouse Heath, the fungus (pictured below) attracted my attention. It seems to resemble most closely Guepiniopsis buccina (looking in my newly-acquired ID guide), but that’s probably wrong- as it’s “very seldom recorded.” (James: to the rescue!)

Attachments

• 035pse.jpg
    035pse.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 132
  • 045pse.jpg
    045pse.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 015pse.jpg
    015pse.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 96
As I scanned Abraham’s Bosom (Wells Woods), a Kingfisher belted away up the creek (without a paddle), oblivious to the sign. It called frequently and piercingly. On my way back, I was able to get a poor shot, in the low light.

On Salthouse Heath, the fungus (pictured below) attracted my attention. It seems to resemble most closely Guepiniopsis buccina (looking in my newly-acquired ID guide), but that’s probably wrong- as it’s “very seldom recorded.” (James: to the rescue!)

Hi John.

To my knowledge Guepiniopsis buccina hasn't been found in Norfolk, although it does look similar to your picture. I'm pretty sure that this fungus is the Yellow Brain Fungus (Tremella mesenterica). It is starting to go over, hence the orange colour at the edges. It is typically found in late autumn on gorse, so that fits.

Titchwell December 10th

Today’s highlights

Waxwing – 15 on access road @ 14:30
Hen harrier – 3 (1 male) to roost this evening
Med gull – 3 adults on fresh marsh. Large numbers of gulls (3-5000) feeding on a razorshell wreck on the beach
Spotted redshank – 4 on Volunteer Marsh
Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed

Paul

I just had 30+ Bewick's over my house in Old Catton (north side of Norwich) not a bird I thought I'd get on my garden list !

I expect you already know Stuart but Bewick's Swans over Norwich occur much more regularly than people realise, particularly in late Feb / March when migrating herds depart from Welney bringing them in a direct easterly line over the city. When I worked in Hellesdon I noted these herds on several occassions, sometimes there were large numbers involved - as many as a couple of hundred at a time. Virtually all went over on lovely crisp, clear sunny mornings and always before 9.00am. In my book, the sight and sound of these birds is definately one of the highlights of late winter / early spring.

Hi John.

To my knowledge Guepiniopsis buccina hasn't been found in Norfolk, although it does look similar to your picture. I'm pretty sure that this fungus is the Yellow Brain Fungus (Tremella mesenterica). It is starting to go over, hence the orange colour at the edges. It is typically found in late autumn on gorse, so that fits.

Agree with yellow brain fungus.

I've now got a case of brain fungus !

FRANKLIN'S GULL - yesterday SW of eccles on sea at lessingham in morning but no sign today

It took me a couple of reads to understand this, I kept thinking "but Lessingham is inland". So in case anyone was thinking the same, I presume the bird was at Lessingham, which is SW of Eccles-on-sea, rather than 'on the sea at Lessingham' - this wouldn't make sense partly because Lessingham isn't by the coast, and partly because the coast runs NW/SE.

[Edit] It clearly wasn't just me that mis-read it to start with, I have just seen an email suggesting the bird was on the sea off Lessingham...

Last edited:
Heard rather belatedly that there was a sword fish washed up on Holkham Beach on November 6th, it looked quite a large specimen and in good order on the photo I was shown. Not sure if there have been any past Norfolk occurrences ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back