• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning dove nest (1 Viewer)

KGarcia

My husband and I noticed a nest in our hanging pot. It is on our balcony of our second floor condo. We noticed the nest about a month ago. It was not until a week ago today that we noticed the baby in there, just 1. The reason my husband looked was because as we were sitting on our couch we saw a Hawk or Falcon fly on our balcony. My husband scared it away. The next morning same thing happen, but I scared it away. Now you will probably laugh but my husband has a 12 inch Godzilla figurine. So we put that on the table out there to keep the predator away. Which it has not been back.

Last night we noticed the mom left. I checked on it this morning and it was fine but still no mom in sight. Not even 10 minutes after I checked my cat was crouched down in the living room like she saw something on the balcony. I ran over and the twigs in the basket looked a little disturbed. So I go out and check and the nest is empty. I am so nervous something took the baby. I do not understand why the Mom left last night. My husband said maybe the mom moved the baby. We have had some crazy weather here and it has been very windy. We almost took the hanging pot down to avoid it falling off the balcony. I attached a picture of the baby bird, I know for a fact it was too small to leave the nest yet.

Is there ANY chance that the mom could have came back to grab the baby and take it to a safer nest? It also does not help that I am pregnant and my hormones are getting the best of me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am an animal lover and it just kills me to think something took that little baby.

Thanks,
Kelli

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 22
Hello and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and administrators. I’ve never heard of a mother dove carrying the nestling away. However, they do leave the nest after about 10-11 days so there is hope.
I’m not an expert, hopefully one will chime in.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back