• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

S.Africa, Oct, 2018 - I've no idea what this is! (1 Viewer)

BobbyJim

Although photographed in South Africa the photo was taken at Birds of Eden.
Birds of Eden is the world's largest free flight aviary and bird sanctuary, located near Plettenberg Bay in the Western Cape, South Africa. The mesh dome of the sanctuary was built over 2.3 hectares of indigenous forest, and is up to 55 metres above ground level. A really good place to 'cheat'!
I did see birds there from South America and Indonesia so the location is no clue.
I think I have identified all the birds now with the exception of this one. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Attachments

• IMG_4240 (Copy).JPG
    IMG_4240 (Copy).JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 78
Thanks for that Mark. I photographed that species in breeding plumage and it looked completely different. I have, in the past, photographed Northern Red Bishops in Gambia in non-breeding plumage, completely different again.
I assume then that I have photographed a male in some form of transitional plumage. Thanks again for the help. I'd have never have identified it without help!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back