• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First dark-eyed Junco of the year. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
Well, first one this cold season, I kinda missed them over the spring and summer etc. With the cold for me comes juncos, woodpeckers and goldfinches, sadly we don't get to see the goldfinches when they are in breeding plumage, just dull colors.

Drake.

Nebraska USA

Cool I saw my first one EVER while sipping my morning coffee this morning (which turned into a mad rush for the camera and an empty memory card LOL ) GODS they are cute. I got to see the male and female YAY

Hi Drake

Had my first one of the season today as well. Now waiting on the Goldfinches and Fox Sparrows.

I get goldies all year (state bird) but they have gone so pale i almost don't recognise them. I am not sure if I have seen teh fox sparrow yet. I think so but I can't confirm it

First Junco

I saw my first of the season today as well. I was thrilled! Of course, they bring with them the cold weather, but I've lived here all my life. I know what to expect.

KCFoggin said:
Hi Drake

Had my first one of the season today as well. Now waiting on the Goldfinches and Fox Sparrows.
I'm waiting for the goldfinches and the American Tree Sparrow, I really think it is my favorite of all the tree sparrow. I love to watch them dig in the snow.

Drake.

I'll be in Lincoln (home in the 1970's) in a couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see some new critters. :D

It seems when the Junco arrive the snow is two weeks behind. However that really isn't the case at all. The little devils are here all year long, they just flock up now. I was walking along a ledge when one flittered out and acted hurt not to be fooled I looked very carefully and found the nest which I did not disturb. We used to call these guys snowbirds. I am sure if I got out some of my antique bird books they would have names like Artic Junco or slate colored juncos. I know there is some good scientific reason for changing names but I will always remember them as snowbirds in my heart.

Had one pair of the juncos all summer. But now over the last couple weeks they are everywhere, taking the place of the flock of chipping sparrows.

Also have 1 pair of white-throated sparrows hanging around that feed with the juncos.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back