• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenses for my Lumix G3 or Save for a Scope? Oy Vey! (1 Viewer)

SeattleDan

I have enough for a scope (almost but not quite) but then with the adapters and tripod, etc... I would get the scope and watch Spring come and go while I'm saving my nickels, and admiring the scope I can't use.

OR

I can get a Lumix 300mm and Lumix 500mm, with a cheap little tripod, and the shutter cable that's on it's way with the 4/3rds to FD adapter... then I can play with my old lenses here.... and start right in with my new camera.

So, I'm totally torn. I'm having surgery Wednesday, and I'll be doped up pretty good, and lolling about the premises, wiggling my toes in the air for a few weeks. I have a lovely perch over the river, and plenty of bird activity without even leaving the house.

I'm leaning towards getting the lenses and tripod... then using this Season to just orient to my camera and train.... then perhaps later in the year, sneak up again on the idea of a scope.

I know... how did I survive to adulthood without Birdforum, eh?

Quandary in Seattle

I was leaning that way. I'm two days post op... and feeling like a hike actually. I'm bidding on some lenses as I type. Unless some stellar deal arises, I will probably purchase new lenses so I can share more than over saturated landscapes, and won't that be nice!? Thanks Geoff.

I decided to do both over time. I finally have a lens sufficient to take SOME bird photos. As I typed this, a Starling showed up on my deck to snitch food I put out for Woodpeckers, Bushtits and Chickadees... 10 feet from where I sit.

I have a Lumix 45-200 coming next Monday or Tuesday in the US Mail. Probably not next month (I have to get a tripod and software as well as a Manfrotto gizmo for balancing legacy lenses)... but hopefully by Midsummer, I'll be getting a scope. Then I'll have August to practice and be on time for the Fall Migrations in Washington State.

I'm as giddy as a school girl.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back