• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

City birding in Tallin, January 2016 (1 Viewer)

mustarastas

Hi all,

I spent the last week of January 2016 in Tallin. It was a time of my winter holidays at university and I was in a group of other dominican brothers who are not specially interested in birdwatching. So I generally did not have many occasions for any special birding trips.

When we came to the capital city of Estonia load of snow was melting and weather did not invite to longer walks. The Kadriorg park was empty and quiet (exluding loud flocks of Hooded Crows). Crows were also numerous on the beach stretching eastward from the ferry harbour. The boulevard along the beach was a good place to watch gulls (Black-headed, Common, Herring and individual Greater Black-Backed), Mallards, Goosanders, Goldeneys, Mute Swans and Black Cormorants passing bye. Jays, Great Tits, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Blackbirds were present in a small park next to the boulevard.

On penultimate day of our stay I left my group and went to see Paljassaare Protected Area. I got there by bus and later walked some 20 minutes to Katarina bulwark. The place seemed for me as a good to check for Maritime Sandpiper, but there was none. Some Goldeneys close to the shore, a flock of Mallards and Goosanders in a small bay. Among group of Mute Swans two nice Whoper Swans showed up. Later I went along the path and for just a glimpse I saw some bird of prey flying among trees and disappearing. I suspect it was Common Buzzard, but could be anything, it fact.
I heard a call of Black Woodpecker. Later I reached first observation platform, but lake, overgrown with reedbed, was empty and quiet. I turned to Vaike-Paljassaare peninsula. Soon I saw nice White-tailed Eagle chased by some gulls. Short visit on the next tower did not bring anything new. I spent some time on the tip of the peninsula, seawatching (just with binoculars). Goldeneyes, Goosanders, gulls, Black Cormorants and, from time to time, Long-tailed Ducks far away. Nevertheless it was really nice time (in Poland I live now in friary in southern part of the country, so I seldom have occasions to visit coast of Baltic Sea).

Summing up, it was short visit in Estonia and without any especially great sightings, but I was really satisfied and I hope to visit that lovely state again in the future.

PS. I found a lot of very usefull information on a website prepared by Tallin Bird Club: http://www.tallinna-linnuklubi.ee/?page_id=1470

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back