• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby Thread 2009 (1 Viewer)

This is the first time in many a year that I've got into May without seeing a Swift.....oh yeah and no Hobbies yet either.

May 7th.

Just got back from searching my patch. (Cool, strong wind, blue skies.)

No sign of any Hobbies. First Swift of the year (latest ever patch record), a singleton battling westwards against the gale. A dozen House martins hawking in the lea of a copse.

Went out briefly again. Wind not as strong, but squally showers. No Swifts. No Hobbies.
Some new Wheatears again as consolation.

If I get a chance I'll pop out again later.

May 9th.

Still cool, not as windy.
Positively crowded with Swifts - two together, then one more!
But no Hobby again. Will go again today, before the rain comes in.

Part two: Four Swifts, Buzzards, no Hobby.

Last edited:
'My' hobbies returned on the 5th and they seem to be remaining faithful to they're breeding site of at least the past two years. Perversely, the very strong winds we've been getting has made it easier for me to locate them everyday. The pair have favored sheltering spots, depending which direction the 'gale' is blowing. I can sit quietly and observe their interactions at leisure...unlike last year when 'they were all over the place'!
Yesterday had an amazing encounter which almost made me think i was on a sea-watch! One of my hobbies 'sprang' into action as i flushed a cuckcoo close by.
The sun had just broken thru the iron curtain of cloud as the hobby arched low over blooming hawthorn, glinting with rain from recent heavy showers. It carved it's way against the winds, fighting for every inch of air it seemed. I somehow imagined that the hedgerows were the tops of waves on a stormy sea and that my hobby was a jaeger, come shearwater, as it lifted above them. It was all very intense, that facial pattern of the 'summer hooded bandit' falcon emblazoned deep into my eyes...twas good!

Great stuff Username. Similar here today.

Just been back out there - winds stronger now.
Thought I could see a perched bird which turned out to be a broken branch-end - but as I looked a Hobby, which had just taken off from close by, sliced into the air!
It battled against the winds as it reached hunting height - lifting my spirits as it sprinted - then, distracted by a Swallow for a split second, I lost it.
But it seems to be remaining faithful to the general area of the old nest tree, which makes me hopefull of finding the new nest site later in the season.

Swifts were everywhere suddenly - too many to count, unlike earlier. Even better was a lovely sum. plum. ad. Mediterranean gull which quartered a bare field, picking off insects from the field's surface like a marsh tern over water.
Female Gadwall on the river again, several Yellow wagtails around and the constant serenade of Whitethroats: I even took my gloves off for a while!

Hopefully more news tomorrow - just off to Tamworth in an hour.

There were a number about at wixall moss last week. Not seen any as yet locally, there uncommon and elusive around my area. But they are inreasing. Good luck with your nest basket.

Let's face it Halftwo....Hobbies are just plain cool...always have been...always will be!

ps....will post more comments [if you're interested] on 'my' hobbies.....[i'm off to Rutland Water in a bit....to see a not so enigmatic bird...the cattle egret]! Even 'white plastic bags' on legs 'have they're moments'...tho not many!

There were a number about at wixall moss last week. Not seen any as yet locally, there uncommon and elusive around my area. But they are inreasing. Good luck with your nest basket.

Had 12 in the air at one time at Whixall/Fenn's Moss last Saturday.

Let's face it Halftwo....Hobbies are just plain cool...always have been...always will be!

ps....will post more comments [if you're interested] on 'my' hobbies...

Yes, very interested in anyone's sightings, keep them coming.

TJW, Whixall Moss is an amazing place - will try to fit a visit in this summer again.

May 10th.

Well, several hours of looking for, and hardly seeing, Hobbies today.

Two observations: one bird perched on a pylon at distance this morning, and, bizarrely, I heard a bird, but didn't see one, this afternoon.

The former was a thousand-yard-away bird from the far end of my patch. When I had made my way to a nearer viewpoint, it had, of course, disappeared.

The latter happened as I was getting ready to return home, after an hour and a half watching the skies. The distinctive wader-like call of a territory dispute "k-lip, k-lip" from a Hobby overhead - presumably chasing a second. But I couldn't get on them, which was very frustrating.

Swifts, carefree and unmolested, skimmed flies from skies throughout.

Predictably and very sensibly....now that the winds have changed from west to east....my hobbies have 'moved' this afternoon, to a newly sheltered 'spot'!
I decided to 'take their lead' and bunker down out of the chilling air, as they watched me...and i them! It could have been my over active imagination, but i'm sure that one of the birds yawned in my direction. Maybe it was thinking...'ho-hum...it's only that guy again...ignore him...he means no harm'!
The hobbies moved little, save for they're shimmering motions in the heat haze, perhaps they had grown weary of the relentless winds...i know i have! After half an hour of playing 'tree stump'..[not moving]!...i decided to call it quits....i gave them one last look and remembered Arnie's immortal 'terminator' line...'I'll be back'.........and so i shall.........!

Well, Username, you had better luck than I. Did a complete circuit of the old territory, looking for sheltered spots - but saw nowt. There wasn't a great deal of shelter to be had anyway! Skies were very empty of almost everything, winds keeping the songsters quiet too.
Presumably they'd found some shelter elsewhere. I say "they" - but I haven't seen both birds yet. Not to worry - I had trouble finding them last year too.

It's amazing how elusive they can be at times.
Am hoping to see some 'display' activity in near future...[if i'm lucky]....after that...once they settle down....they will undoubtedly go very quiet! Last year i got very concerned for their welfare as a high summer wind threatened the nesting site. I need not have worried tho...great...stubborn fearless parents....they raised three healthy young-un's!!

ps...am trying J.A. Bakers 'trick' of always wearing the 'same' clothing....he did that to great effect with 'his' peregrines!

I

ps...am trying J.A. Bakers 'trick' of always wearing the 'same' clothing....he did that to great effect with 'his' peregrines!

LOL, I'm hoping, before season's end, I might be able to visit the site without my fleece!

Are your pair visiting a nest yet U?

May 12th.

Took a day off work to do some searching today. Six hours in the field. Wind wind wind. But sunny.
Searched in vain for my Hobbies. Traipsed around several leeward woods and sheltered trees. Walked the adjacent territories' boundary. Zilch. (Did find a little private nature reserve though - Great tits taking food to several nestboxes; a very nice bit of habitat.)

Found some fresh Roe deer dung. Swifts were mating. Sparrowhawks are taking prey to nests. Kestrels not hatched yet though: watched a male take food to a tree. Female out with same prey. Takes it to a barn to eat a little. Caches the rest in a hole in a barn. Returns to nest tree.

Plenty of butterflies: Green-veined whites aplenty - whereas last year there was none - where have they come from? Brimstone and Orange tips, Speckled woods and Peacocks.

Halftwo.....haven't seen my pair of birds visiting nest yet....but...they have used same nest for two years running and i noticed the other day that fresh 'green material' had been added! [So i'm guessing they've been to nest].
Tell you what...if this easterly wind doesn't abate soon i reckon 'the' tree will be falling down...! I didn't check on 'the site' today as i thought any 'action' might be minimal....waltzed over to Rutty Water instead....hobby activity seems to be slack there too because of high winds. The 'north arm' at RW was like a freezing wind tunnel...i stayed in car...wot a wimp! Enjoyed 'going thru' the hundreds of swifts tho....and at Eye Brook it was good to see well over a hundred house martins....they've been a bit 'thin' of late......

... and i noticed the other day that fresh 'green material' had been added! [So i'm guessing they've been to nest].

Hi Username,

Have been re-reading "The Hobby" which (like BWP) makes no mention of any nest building, nor adding to existing nests by Hobbies. Could it be occupied by another species at present?
The book also mentions continuing display over the nest site throughout May & into June, and the female spending increasing amounts of time sitting in the nest, even a month before laying.
So much for my pair then!

H

Half2.......funny you should mention that...[about nest being occupied by another species]...i had the same thoughts! This afternoon i made a point of asking a very knowledgeable friend of mine about my observation of 'added nest material'....and he informed me that...as it is a 'regular' nest...plus the fact that 'they' are in residence...it is very unlikely that another species would attempt a 'take-over'! [so to speak]! I told him that the nest had fresh 'greenery appearing'....and apparently this is not unusual. As my friend knows a lot about, in particular breeding, raptors...i am happy to take his word for it. This particular pair of hobbies are ferocious/fearless creatures and i think any 'other' species attempting to 'move in' would be given short shrift! About the 'displaying'....i have only ever witnessed this once...i think it 'all happens' and is perhaps over...within 10 minutes...i could be wrong about that. So do not despair about 'you're' hobbies.....you may think that nothing is happening....but remember...they can be almost invisible when they want to be! In the past i have been in area's where i thought, after much searching...'no hobbies here'...then weeks later....'hello!....where the heck did you come from'!! Amazing, if somewhat frustrating birds at times.....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back