• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hedgehog house (1 Viewer)

wayne1983

Having recently taken to feeding and watching the birds, and feeling good knowing im helping the birds, ive seen these hedgehog houses.
I never even knew they existed! (the houses, not hedgehogs):-O, so i was thinking as anyone ever had one of these and how was it, thanksB :)

I recently built a hedgehog house and secreted it in a corner under the bushes in my garden. As it gets closer to hibernation time I will leave a handy supply of nesting materials and hopefully my box will be adopted.

I know we have a hedgehog visiting the garden, it's been seen semi regularly and it leaves other little signs behind. :eek!:

There's no sign of anything having been in the box but I wouldn't really expect it to be occupied until hibernation time.

DW

I recently built a hedgehog house and secreted it in a corner under the bushes in my garden. As it gets closer to hibernation time I will leave a handy supply of nesting materials and hopefully my box will be adopted.

I know we have a hedgehog visiting the garden, it's been seen semi regularly and it leaves other little signs behind. :eek!:

There's no sign of anything having been in the box but I wouldn't really expect it to be occupied until hibernation time.

DW

Ive still not got a hog house, but intend to get one soon as it gets colder for them.
Im told they like cat or dog food, would they eat anything birds eat so i could buy more for them? cheersB :)

Im told they like cat or dog food,

There is a common held belief that they like cows milk soaked bread but this causes upset stomach and can lead to death.

If you want to try feeding them buy tins of puppy food and put the food out in a saucer or other shallow dish. To avoid feeding all the local cats/foxes place it under a sizeable board set on house bricks that are turned on their side, make sure the board is suitably weighted to prevent it being knocked of by curious cats etc. This protects the food from rain, cats and foxes but allows the hedgehog to feed and gives it a bit of cover while it is eating.

Experience tells me that the food can remain untouched for several days and half a tin of food will last for two or three visits by a single hedgehog.

Give it a try, it's fantastic when you are visited by one.

Derek

Last edited:
There is a common held belief that they like cows milk soaked bread but this causes upset stomach and can lead to death.

If you want to try feeding them buy tins of puppy food and put the food out in a saucer or other shallow dish. To avoid feeding all the local cats/foxes place it under a sizeable board set on house bricks that are turned on their side, make sure the board is suitably weighted to prevent it being knocked of by curious cats etc. This protects the food from rain, cats and foxes but allows the hedgehog to feed and gives it a bit of cover while it is eating.

Experience tells me that the food can remain untouched for several days and half a tin of food will last for two or three visits by a single hedgehog.

Give it a try, it's fantastic when you are visited by one.

Derek

Yeah im going to. I was going to put a plastic box out with the food in, however if the hog decided to hibernate there, im told it gets condensation inside and there betting gets damp which isnt good.
A wooden box im told is much better, but they would be good for the garden slugs etc.B :):t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back