• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damaged ES80 (1 Viewer)

rabsi

Can anyone please help?
I have recently dropped my ES80 on the concrete floor of a bird hide. Amazingly the concrete floor won! The scope has a bent rim and a small half-inch crack in the main lens. Although it doesn’t seem to have made much difference to the image, I feel it must have had some detrimental effect.
Can anyone give me any advice on how to get the scope repaired? I have seen a few adverts in bird magazines for optic repairs but I am not sure which one to choose. Many thanks. Rabsi.

Hi Rabsi,sorry to hear of your misfortune.
We have a number of Members who have posted about that model of scope and so hopefully they'll have some advice on repairing options.

Damaged Opticron scope

At the risk of stating the obvious - have you contacted Opticron for their advice?

John Fleet

Hi Rabsi

I think your best bet is to contact opticron & arrange to send it back to them for them to inspect & give you a quote on a repair job.

Regards Steve.

stevo said:
Hi Rabsi

I think your best bet is to contact opticron & arrange to send it back to them for them to inspect & give you a quote on a repair job.

Regards Steve.
Rabsi

I agree with Steve

scampo said:
Yes - well, it was dropped in a kind of house... now there's a thought.

Why not sue the owners of the bird hide? (Just kidding, but the way things are going, someone is bound to do just that.)

Damaged scope

Just for info,
A few years ago, I dropped my Nikon Bins over a cliff, with the obvious results. Luckily I have "accidental damage cover" on my home insurance. They were replaced with no trouble, minus the £50 excess that is.

As has been suggested, try your domestic insurance, and if not covered for accidental damage, it's worth upgrading.

Malky @ Westhill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back