• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who in your Garden makes you Laugh? (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

For me its either the Starlings or the Blackbird.

The starlings for their squabblings and facing up to each other and their ability to just about squeeze in anywhere for food. I caught a young one a few weeks back it squeezed and squeezed to get into a Suet barred holder (there was only Bread in it) and then could not get out!
I went to release it and it could not even flap as its wings where squeezed.
Do you no what? I filled it up again, his mates tried but gave up but not him back he came squeezing in. I took it down for a week and have not seen him since.
The other is the Blackbird. First up in the Morning, Last up at Night. Will run around in a Downpour and watching him try to take berries is so funny as he tries to balance on the berberis bush. I also love the way he sits behind you waiting for a tasty worm. I gave him a few but he tried to get them all in his mouth. The female came along and he chased her off. Only for a Robin to steal a couple ,he chased the Robin off and before he could return the Female came back and took the rest. When he returned he looked for them looked at me as if i had eaten them!!!. :-O
Very amusing.

It does not have to be your favourite bird but the one that makes you laugh. I am out there today Digging so i am sure he will turn up before i can get my spade out!

Whats your funny story?

Funny Sparrow Behaviour!

I'd have to say that I've actually laughed out loud, on several different occasions, watching a male house sparrow parading in front of the ladies. He turns up his tail, puffs out his chest, tilts up his head, and struts with huge exaggerated steps, or stays in one place tilting foward and back, lifting his tail up and spreading it. He sometimes holds his wings out a little way from his body, and I can almost imagine a smirk on his face, because he can tell it's working on his poor, defenseless victim ... or that other girl birdie who's inevitably nearby. Sure enough, when the current object of his affection decides to fly away, he turns around and there's another cute chick checking him out... and the dance starts again..

After awhile, the female realizes it's better not to fly away, and she instead darts towards her poor silly male and pecks at him. He flies around in a small circle, landing just behind his lady friend... and he keeps dancing, as if he didn't miss a beat. They play like this for awhile, and then disappear into the cedars .. I wonder what they're doing in there .... o:D

Several of my blackbirds are making me smile at the moment. They are looking out for me non-stop, and keep coming to look through the windows to see if they can spot me, they are begging for sultanas. So instead of keep opening the back door and scaring off a whole flock of siskins and greenfinches etc, I have made a little pot that sticks on the kitchen window frame and just have to open the window a piece and put some sultanas in it for them. They come up and fill their beaks, squeezing in around 7 before they fly off to feed the youngsters.

A baby blue tit is actually going inside the fatball holder to eat, thought that was funny, however, he had no trouble getting out again. He just hadnt got the idea of hanging on the outside and found it more comfortable I guess.

Another thing that makes me smile is watching the baby rooks begging for food on the overhead cable across my garden. They flap their wings and wobble so much, I think they are going to fall off, and you can see this huge bright pink mouth and tongue. Always makes me laugh, they are quite capable of feeding themselves too, bigger than their parents sometimes.

songbird said:
Several of my blackbirds are making me smile at the moment. They are looking out for me non-stop, and keep coming to look through the windows to see if they can spot me, they are begging for sultanas. So instead of keep opening the back door and scaring off a whole flock of siskins and greenfinches etc, I have made a little pot that sticks on the kitchen window frame and just have to open the window a piece and put some sultanas in it for them. They come up and fill their beaks, squeezing in around 7 before they fly off to feed the youngsters.

A baby blue tit is actually going inside the fatball holder to eat, thought that was funny, however, he had no trouble getting out again. He just hadnt got the idea of hanging on the outside and found it more comfortable I guess.

Another thing that makes me smile is watching the baby rooks begging for food on the overhead cable across my garden. They flap their wings and wobble so much, I think they are going to fall off, and you can see this huge bright pink mouth and tongue. Always makes me laugh, they are quite capable of feeding themselves too, bigger than their parents sometimes.

Yes the Blackbird in my new home (i did not have any at my old house) has now become my fauvorite bird its a funny bird , its quite tame and watching them take berries and stamp on the ground then finding a worm is amusing.
I don't think they treat their women good though his Mrs hardly gets a look in but maybe she is smarter than him(my post above) but then thats nothing new is it Girls :girl:

There's a very bedraggled crow that I sometimes see flying over with no tail and gaps in his wings where he's lost feathers. A crow without a tail is definitely a very silly sight.
Jackie

Must be the juvenile great spotted woodpecker - he is just thick. The adult male will flee the nut feeder at the slightest sign of danger, at any movement. He calls repeatedly and urgently from the trees for the juvenile to follow. The juvenile clings to the nut feeder, looking around gormlessly while I watch from a few feet away. If he doesn't get streetwise soon he's hawk fodder!

Attachments

• Juvenile GSWBFs.jpg
    Juvenile GSWBFs.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 95
My wife Likes a Dove that turns up. He sits in the Husk catching bowl packed in like a sardine pecking away at the left overs.
Then there is her mate who turns up and it has one feather stuck up in the air at all times. My Mrs wants to go out and give it a haircut as it really gets her back up.LOL

for us it must also be the blackbird. the attached photos show why. one shows him sunbathing with his beak open, it wasnt a lucky shot he was like that for a while and the other shows him after his bath later the same day. scrawny or what!

Attachments

• Resize Wizard-6.jpg
    Resize Wizard-6.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 141
  • Resize Wizard-5.jpg
    Resize Wizard-5.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 135
A few years ago, in my job as a coach driver I parked in York. As soon as the passengers had gone 4 or 5 Sparrows descended onto the coach on the windscreen wipers pecking off the dead flies. Another coach arrived and the same thing happened to that one, but now viewing from the out side, I now saw the birds flying in through the grill to get to the radiator. Is this "Meals on Wheels"
I have never seen this since that one day.

Clarence street car/coach park?

have a squirel that sits in the bird table, bounces away when I open the door - the bounces back while I'm stood there. Stalings clinging to the fat ball holder - doing acrobatics

I went to fill my sunflower hearts feeder earlier. It is a sort of lantern shape, to which I have attached a 9" plastic tray to catch the strays. Put my hand on the hanger to lift it off and there was a baby blue tit sitting in the tray! I said, oh hello, and he said cheep cheep cheep, and just looked at me, all appealing, and flapped his little wings. Must be very short-sighted if he thought I looked like his mummy!

A young magpie had me in stitches at lunchtime today - oops, yesterday now, I just realised its after midnight. I have a paving slab under where my feeders used to hang on the back fence, before the cat decided to keep leaping up from behind and killing the birds. Well, I guess I'd better come clean and admit that I have rats here. They don't bother me, I don't bother them, so anyhow, they have tunnelled under the fence from the garden behind where they are living under their decking and the 6 foot high grass. There are little pop holes on either side of the two paving slabs. So this young magpie was pecking around on the slabs at some grain that I scatter on there on dry days for the doves etc. when a rat popped his head out of the hole and made him jump. So the rat ducked back too, and then stuck his head out of the hole on the other side of the slab. This went on several times, and in the end, the magpie was peering down the hole looking, and the rat was appearing each time in the opposite hole. I laughed so much, I grabbed my video camera, but the best of the action was over unfortunately by then, and another magpie arrived, and the original one lost interest in the game then! Sorry if this description doesn't really justify the moment, but it was just one of the funniest things I have seen!

The blackbird in my garden has become completely obsessed with the Cherry spike. He protects it all day lond bouncing around and around it. On one occasion he flew off with a cherry, 1 minute later a starling came to eat one. My wife and i Thought 'You are in trouble there mate you better get in and out quick' just as we said it in swoops the Blackbird and lands on his back!
The starling flew off with the cherry and the blackbird chased him. It was like a Mugger on the streets as soon as he dropped the cherry the balackbird stopped picked up the cherry bought it back to the skewer and ate it whilst being vigilant.
But i know he has youngsters so he only gets some in the morning and some when i come home ...and i know he does leave from about 10-4 but then its back to Guard Duty!

Attachments

• blackbird 3.jpg
    blackbird 3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 95
  • blackbird 1.jpg
    blackbird 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 96
Yesterday teatime, the Magpie family were at it again. There was a rat feeding on spillage at the foot of my birdtable. Two young magpies were giving it a very hard time, and I was waiting for the rat to retaliate. They kept jumping around pecking at it, but the rat was taking no notice. Then one of the youngsters got hold of its tail and actually dragged it along a few inches, and the rat still carried on eating! Hahaha, unbelievable. :'D

Last edited:
Ahahha

thewhites said:
for us it must also be the blackbird. the attached photos show why. one shows him sunbathing with his beak open, it wasnt a lucky shot he was like that for a while and the other shows him after his bath later the same day. scrawny or what!

I just saw the second photo and burst out laughing. It's 1:30am and I woke up everyone in the house! I needed that though, I was having a bad day!
There's nothing funnier than skinny animals just out of the bath!!! o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back