• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwell Valley (3 Viewers)

Common whitethroat (112) and a possible cuckoo in flight but it was all too brief between trees with no further sign per Mike Ixer
Good Birding YAMYAM

Common whitethroat (112) and a possible cuckoo in flight but it was all too brief between trees with no further sign per Mike Ixer
Good Birding YAMYAM

Lovely but frustrating ramble all over the Valley very early this morning. One of the first birds was a skulking but very vocal common whitethroat which surprised me a bit feeling somewhat early. But as I was watching the whitethroat, I saw a silhouette in the distance perched in a tree. The shape was spot on for cuckoo but the sun rising behind it and no call meant I couldn't be sure. I took a few steps to the side to get round a bush to get more favourable light but it went as soon as it knew it had been spotted. It flew/dropped straight into other thicker foliage a short distance away never to be seen again. Immensely frustrating because I've never seen (or heard) one in the Valley.

Other birds included steady numbers of sand martins when it clouded over, at least 3 oystercatchers, little ringed plover, peregrine, loads of blackcaps and willow warblers and 4 greylags on Forge Mill.

Lovely but frustrating ramble all over the Valley very early this morning. One of the first birds was a skulking but very vocal common whitethroat which surprised me a bit feeling somewhat early.

Last year's first returning bird was recorded on the 12th April, In 2015 it was the14th April and in 2014 it was the 15th April
Good Birding YAMYAM

Last edited:
Salter's Lane/ Sots Hole
Blackcap x3, Swallow x2, Willow Warbler x4, Chiffchaff x4 and Linnet per Hughie king
Good Birding YAMYAM

This evening Reed Warbler still singing in marsh. Mixed flock of c60 hirrundines mainly Sand Martins but also 5 House Martins and 10 Swallows on Forge Mill per Steve Roper
Good Birding YAMYAM

Whitethroat by Hughie King

Attachments

• IMG_20170411_080723.jpg
    IMG_20170411_080723.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20170411_080716.jpg
    IMG_20170411_080716.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170411_080706.jpg
    IMG_20170411_080706.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 19
White Wagtail on bund 8 am, Oystercatcher x6, Goosander x4, Common Sandpiper x2 on River and Peregrine Forge Mill Farm per Pete Hackett
Good Birding YAMYAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back