• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Tin Fishponds (and beyond), Hong Kong (2 Viewers)

You're on a roll, Mike! An wonderful trip to Japan immediately followed by a great day back home in Hong Kong!

This thread is now tempting me to make my second trip to Hong Kong, this time with birding being the primary focus. Note to self: This time try not to visit during a typhoon. Maybe a winter trip - yeah, that would be a good excuse to get out of Manchuria in the winter. Of course more practical for tolerable weather would be Dalian but I really liked Hong Kong.

Wow - Panjin must be brutal for Dalian to be considered an improvement in terms of winter weather!

Hong Kong in winter is always birdy Owen - and certainly better than the hot, sticky, sometimes typhoony and much less birdy summer. Please let me know if you are heading this way.

Meanwhile, back at San Tin . . .

Having covered the northern ponds I headed off towards the east gate, picking up the second Common Pochard on the grass-filled pond that had hosted the Ferruginous Duck, Mandarin and Pallas's Reed Bunting earlier in the autumn. As I got to the far end I realised the fishpond operator had cut a path through the grass along the edge of the ditch that marked the edge of the fishponds. I have had a few bits and pieces here over autumn but nothing outstanding.

This turned out to be an inspired decision, as the first clear view into the ditch a small acrocephalus warbler without the regular black lateral crown stripe of the hundreds of Black-browed Reed Warblers i'd been checking all autumn! In fact it had a rather plain and uncontrasting face, a slender bill with a distinct pale cutting edge, and a supercilium that did not extend behind the eye. The two best contenders were Blyth's Reed Warbler and Blunt-winged Warbler. The other small acros - Paddyfield and Manchurian Reed Warbler both show a long super. Manchurian has a dark, but narrow lateral crown stripe and Paddyfield a dark shadow above the supercilium.

Deciding which of these two notoriously difficult species it was that had disappeared back into its clump of glass definitely required better views, which after a couple of hours completely failed to materialise. However the bird was calling, and I was able to use my iPhone to record three segments of a rather Dusky-like takking call, which included the regular, rather Dusky-like, takking call, and an angry buzzing call, which is known to be typical of Blyth's Reed Warbler. I would have been happy at that point, but when I checked the call of Blunt-winged Warbler that too turned out to be a Dusky-like takking!

I sent the call to John Allcock, who found a way forward, when he told me that Blunt-winged taks at a significantly lower frequency than Blyth's Reed. He was able to make a sonogram which showed a clearly lower-toned call, and Jonathan Martinez - who has posted two of the only three calls on Xeno Canto also replied that he thought it was good for Blunt-winged. This was especially welcome news as Blunt-winged Warbler is a Hong Kong tick for me and my first self-found tick for longer since a Black-throated Thrush the Records Committee are still pondering. I dipped on Blunt-winged at San Tin around 25 years ago, and have never had the opportunity to go for one since.

Despite staring in the channel for the next three hours I never got more that a naked eye view as it zipped across a gap or a disappearing shadow after following twitching grass stems. I also roasted the top of my head for as bad a sunburn as I've had for years - but totally worth it! I did also record it doing a different buzzing call, which I think is an alarm call - a long buzz on the same frequency as the typical call, which has not previously been uploaded on Xeno Canto. Other birds in the sam ditch included Dusky and Manchurian Bush Warblers and both Yellow-bellied and Plain Prinias - all making their own takking and rattling calls.

I've closed the pix with a shot of a female Greater Scaup and a Common Pochard among the monster flock of Tufties.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_7093 Blunt-winged Warbler @ San Tin 20 Jan 19 copy.jpg
    IMG_7093 Blunt-winged Warbler @ San Tin 20 Jan 19 copy.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7091 Blunt-winged Warbler alarm call sonogram copy.jpg
    IMG_7091 Blunt-winged Warbler alarm call sonogram copy.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Blunt-winged Warbler San Tin 20 Jan 2019.m4a
    603 KB · Views: 12
  • Blunt-winged San Tin 19Jan 2019 angry.m4a
    358.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC04088 Greater Scaup @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04088 Greater Scaup @ San Tin.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Hi Mike, Reliable birdy winter viewing - That decides it, I'm going to make another Hong Kong trip a priority. I already have my ticket for a trip back to the US in April for several months, so Hong Kong will have to wait until 2020. Probably December or January since birding is at its slowest and winter at its worst here at that time.

Liaoning has a lot of variety in climate. I grew up in the Allegheny mountains in Pennsylvania in the US and since have spent most of my life in Kansas so to me Dalian is quite mild year round actually. Winters rarely much below 0 C and a relief from the broiling heat of summer in the plains states of the US. Shenyang, however, can have brutal winters sometimes with considerable snow and always with temps hovering in the -15 to -20 area or lower. The short summers 35-40 C with high humidity. Panjin falls in-between the two. Surprisingly dry climate with little snow and rain despite being built on a huge marsh. Winters do vary widely between Dalian and Shenyang type temps. This winter more like Shenyang. When I complain my wife will remind me that it could be worse. She grew up in Heilongjiang with -50 C and meter deep snow not being unusual.

I had a very similar sounding angry buzz here this summer that I never managed to get anymore than a fleeting glance at as it flew from the other side of cover. It managed to frustrate me all summer with no ID.

Thanks Jeff - that one was definitely earned the hard way!

Interested to hear how different the weather can be up in different parts of Manchuria Owen.

Please drop me a line as and when you start to formulate a plan for HK. San Tin has swung between low 70s and and low 90s in species per visit. Add in Mai Po and/or a bit of early morning forest/farmland birding and a 100+ species is certainly possible in a day!

The third strike of lightning happened on the Sunday, when I was heading back in for my second attempt at the Blunt-winged Warbler. Walking alongside the N-S running drainage channel that bisect the fishponds I stopped to check out a calling Black-browed Reed Warbler (BBRW) and a second small acrocephalus that was definitely NOT Black-browed popped up on the fluffy head of a reed stem and began calling vigorously. It was as showy as the Blunt-winged was shy and for a good two minutes popped in and out of view allowing me to get some shots from 15-20 metres away.

Having got my shots I headed back over to the channel where the Blunt-winged Warbler had lurked un-co-operatively yesterday to confirm that there were indeed two good acros on site. It was still in exactly the same small clump of reeds and in a further couple of hours I had no better views than I'd managed the day before, but did get one more better-quality recording of the call - which is the first of the two recordings and sonograms I posted yesterday. This did require sliding down into the ditch and trying to walk on the vegetation covering the bottom of the ditch. What I could not see was the knee deep water. Since there's only one known case of successfully walking on water in the last couple of millennia, I ended up with my shoes filled with stinking ditchwater, which resulted in a rather self conscious visit to church and my in-laws that evening as I had no time to go home and change!

So I definitely had TWO good acrocephalus warblers on site! I even had a vague hint of a third - making very similar calls and being just as skulking as the Blunt-winged Warbler, but never really got enough - even of the call - to do anything with it.

Unlike the Blunt-winged Warbler, the second bird showed a prominent supercilium with a distinctive black lateral crown stripe that was thinner and more curved over the eye than BBRW. It also showed a pretty long-tailed and short-winged jizz like Blunt-winged, but the supercilium was simply too strong, leaving Paddyfield and Manchurian Reed Warbler as the option. Paddyfield has a less prominent lateral crown stripe, and a shorter bill with a dark tip to the lower mandible. This bird clearly had a long bill and an all-pale lower mandible which, taken together with the well-defined lateral crown stripe, left Manchurian Reed Warbler as the only possible option. While not a tick it is most definitely a patch tick - and hard-earned reward for all the BBRWs I'd tried unsuccessfully to turn into Manchurian all autumn. More details of the discussion in the ID forum can be found here: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=372298.

With lightning striking three times over two days within 300 metres on my patch I've spent much of the last week trying to not to grin ridiculously at the most inappropriate moments - and mostly failing miserably!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC04163 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04163 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC04166 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04166 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC04169 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04169 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04162 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04162 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04167 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04167 Manchurian Reed Warbler @ San Tin.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
That is about the best view that I ever get of the MRW. I've also found that the matted down vegetation isn't always firm under foot! Never went in that deep though and at least I am wearing waterproof ankle hiking boots.

I'll give you a shout via PM when I start actually planning for Hong Kong. Right now I'm working on planning birding excursions for when I'm back in the USA this spring and summer.

Just catching up on all your interesting birding Mike. My husband had a similar story walking on a lotus leaf covered path, that was suddenly not a path, and just lotus covered water. He faced a similar problem with inability to walk on water, but another foot of water than you had that killed his phone.

Anyway, congrats on the interesting accros!

My goodness Mike! What kind of patch are you running?! Blunt-winged and Manchurian Reed in one patch in such a short time? I'd be buying waders and shaking the reeds some more!

Both would be a first for me. I always hoped for Manchurian on my patch, it's seemed perfectly suited for one and I probably kept overlooking them with the Black-browed.

Huge congrats on some stellar patch work yet again sir!
Tom

It has indeed been an amazingly good autumn/winter at San Tin. It just got even better - and I didn't even need to get on-site to add to my haul.

Last night I was preparing my description of Pallas's Reed Bunitng for submission to the HKBWS Records Committee. As I was pulling out photos from sightings on three different days I thought I ought to take a close look to make sure they were all of the same bird. I found that the pix from October showed more broad-edged tertials than the pix from the end of November.

As my knowledge of moult in eastern palearctic passerines is similar to my expertise in gas chromatography handbooks written in Urdu I posted in the BF ID section and received a confirmation that young birds showed broader-edged tertials than adults. Since the later bird showed more broad-fringed tertials it could not have been the same bird - and two different birds must, logically, be involved. This unexpected good news - thanks to the value of an easily shared digital image and the expertise on BirdForum - increases the number of "description species" I've found to six and the total count for the patch (adding the Smew and Booted Warbler found by others) to an amazing eight since the middle of October! The pix and expert comments that sealed the deal can be found here:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=372898

Cheers
Mike

I posted in the BF ID section and received a confirmation that young birds showed broader-edged tertials than adults. Since the later bird showed more broad-fringed tertials it could not have been the same bird - and two different birds must, logically, be involved. This unexpected good news - thanks to the value of an easily shared digital image and the expertise on BirdForum -

I would like to add my two cents worth and say this is absolutely true! In my own case I have often used the ID forum as a learning tool and to train myself in making better IDs. It is especially helpful when an explanation is given as to the why and how of making the ID. Even being told, "No, that is not what your seeing, it is this because..." can be a valuable learning experience. If you are smart, you learn even more from your mistakes.

Yesterday I took part in the 35th edition of WWF Hong Kong's Big Bird Race. My team, the Jebsen Eagles, comprising Richard (captain), Ruy, Karen and wonder driver Mo Yung. We drove an all-time short distance of 125 km, and walked over 25km covering five woodland and wetland sites across the Central and North-eastern New Territories.

The race was preceded by two weeks of feverish reconnaissance by my team members (I was mostly stuck in the office) complete with a WhatsApp account and spreadsheets for each recce conducted to document which species were at which sites, and critically to save time, which sites were not productive. By Thursday we had a plan, and come 0430 on Saturday morning I was up and on the way to meet the team exactly on time at the entrance to Shek Kong Catchment at 5:30, so that we would be in position for the pre-dawn start of the 12 hour race at 0600.

Shek Kong Catchment runs roughly east to west though decent secondary forest that climbs to about 400m, but also provides access to more one grassland and farmland habitats through a couple of paths down onto the floor of the Kam Tin valley. As we walked to the start point we heard a rather early Large Hawk Cuckoo, which didn't call again during the race, and one of our key pre-dawn targets - Collared Scops Owl. As usual we had a few nervy minutes as the race started and the owl stopped calling. As the light brightened the chance it would restart diminished. Our fist bird was instead the grumbling chatter of Masked Laughingthrushes far down in the valley. Eventually the Collared Scops Owl put us out of misery, as did a Barred Owlet bubbling away on a spur away to our right. Most of us missed a Woodcock that Ruy saw as it zipped past, but we were soon adding species, including the sometimes tricky Blue Whistling Thrush, Oriental Magpie Robin, a barking Siberian Rubythroat, loads of very cheerful Black-throated Laughingthrushes, including one doing a decent impression of Great Barbet which created some swiftly dashed excitement, Silver-eared Mesias, and the first high pitched calls of Ashy Drongo.

As it grew lighter we started to actually see birds, with Grey Wagtail, Eastern Buzzard, a fine flock of around 50 Hair-crested Drongos in a wonderful flowering bombax, Crested Mynas and Black-collared Starlings on some farmland in the valley below, three White-rumped Munias - often tricky and sometimes missed during a bird race - that flew off from some tall grass - plus a Green Sandpiper and Chinese Pond Heron on a slurry pool, and Barn Swallow, Spotted Dove and Chinese Bulbul nearby. Two Large-billed Crows flew over and drew our attention to our bird of the day - a magnificent adult Bonelli's Eagle soaring above the forest - which they harassed for a while before wandering off.

As we headed back along the catchment we added Scarlet and Grey-chinned Minivets, Olive-backed Pipits, calling Streak-breasted Scimitar Babbler, Rufous-capped Babbler, an Orange-bellied Leafbird, Cinereous Tit, Mountain Tailorbird, Asian Stubtail, Velvet-fronted Nuthatch, Scarlet-backed Flowerpecker and Yellow-browed Warblers, singing Pallas's Warblers, a very showy pair of Yellow-cheeked Tits and a Speckled Piculet which Richard picked up on call and was then seen on a stump by Ruy and Karen, for whom it was a lifer. It was also my first since my finding one at Ng Tung Chai in September 2006. That bird was just the third Hong Kong record, but they have prospered in the interim, and are now found in many woodland sites across Hong Kong.

Having watched rain falling just a short distance away and seeing the sky not quite darkening above us we headed east to Tai Po Kau for a second round of forest birding. The one steep climb of the day was fine in the cooler weather and even gave us a few birds - calling Blue-winged Minlas, Striated Yuhinas, and a Buff-bellied Flowerpecker, several Chestnut Bulbuls, Pygmy Wren Babbler and a distant but distinctively singing Lesser Shortwing.

Passing the dam and walking along the stream the darkness from the overhead clouds became almost stygian, but a as we pushed on a bird wave from the tree tops we picked up two good birds - a Grey-haired Canary Flycatcher and a Sulphur-breasted Warbler - one of a quartet of rare warblers which have been showing on and off in Tai Po Kau over the last few weeks. Huet's Fulvetta and Fork-tailed Sunbirds also called, as did a couple of Great Barbets from the ridge above before a short quiet patch was ended by the excellent but personally frustrating experience of hearing a Chinese Barbet "trook-a-rook"-ing up on the same ridge as they Great Barbet had called from. This is a bird I've never seen in Hong Kong, but under our team bird race rules every species counts as one, and once its on the list we don't linger. Oh well ... another day.

On the way back past the stream another flock come through which held Goodson's Leaf Warbler, a female Verditer, and just before a Rufous-tailed Robin sang softly from the undergrowth. Ruy and Karen both got onto a second Speckled Piculet found by the HKUST team.

And that was it for our forest birding. We were delighted to have picked up 63 species between 0600- 10:15, and then we zoomed off to Mai Po for the rising tide. Another benefit of the recces was that we knew the rising tide would be better, especially for the smaller waders, than the falling tide.

From the Mai Po access road we added Tufty, Dabchick, Great Cormorant, Black Kite, Great Egret, Collared Crow, Osprey, White-throated Kingfisher, Black Drongo, Silky Starling and Common Myna, plus Azure-winged Magpies feeding in some dead branches in the Mai Po carpark. Pied Kingfisher, Pied Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Garganey, Intermediate Egret, Black-crowned Night Heron and Shoveler were along the casuarinas, and the recently split Oriental Magpie and a calling Daurian Redstart kept he score ticking over as we headed across the centre of the reserve to the boardwalk.

In order to reduce overcrowding in the hide just two team members are allowed seats in the hide, but only two need to see each bird. Ruy and Karen stayed at the gate while Richard and I headed down to the new hide, adding a Common Kingfisher that zipped away off the boardwalk and our first Dusky Warblers.

We were just the second team in the new hide, and the exposed mud was carpeted with waders! We quickly picked up Dunlin, Temminck's Stint, Pacific Golden, Grey Little Ringed, and Kentish Plovers plus the trickier Greater and Lesser Sandplovers. There were a few Great Knot and lots of both Eurasian Curlews and Black-tailed Godwits as well as usual thousands of Avocets and Black-headed Gulls. I enjoyed the Saunders Gulls - several in handsome black hoods - searching for crabs on the mud - as waves of Marsh Sandpipers, Common Redshanks and Common Greenshanks flew in and fed busily as the tide slowly rose.

There was no sign of the Caspian and Gull-billed Terns seen on the recces, but the gull flock did hold Heuglin's, Caspian and Pallas's Gulls, the latter a solitary juvenile rather than the much sexier adults seen a couple of days earlier.

Out in the bay large flocks of Wigeon, Pintail, and Shoveler were easily found, with a few Eurasian Teals amongst them. Richard picked out a very distant Eurasian Spoonbill in a group of five Black-faced Spoonbills on the far side fo the mudflat and then a solitary Great Crested Grebe that was even further away - close to the Tsim Bei Tsui Ferry Pier.

A quick scoot round to the easternmost hide enabled us to confirm Bar-tailed Godwit and Red Knot as the tide rose and pushed the birds past the hide. We were disappointed not to connect with either the Long-billed Dowitcher or the Nordmann's Greenshank, which had been present earlier in the week , but did pick up another bonus on the way out as a Manchurian Bush Warbler sand in the mangroves just outside the hide. We also had our only rain of the day as we headed back to the gate through the fence, but this had all but stopped by the time we had reconnected with Ruy and Karen and headed towards the southern end of the reserve.

Ruy and Karen had watched large numbers of birds flighting onto the Scrape and a few minutes scoping delivered both the Long-billed Dowitcher and the helpfully pale Nordmann's Greenshank amongst the assembled tringas. This claw back of two species we thought we'd missed set the pattern for the rest of the day. We had seven targets at the southern end of the reserve - Rook, Purple Heron, Eastern Marsh Harrier, Imperial and Greater Spotted Eagles, Peregrine and Chinese Spotbill. We connected with all of them except the eagles and the harrier - and importantly for our timeline and energy levels, we did so without having to walk all the way around!

We instead walked along the path to the south of the Scrape, which has views over the reedbeds in various places. These delivered first a male Stejneger’s Stonechat and then the Rook, which was flushed up into the trees at the southern tip by the All Stars team (thank you!), then a flyby male adult Purple Heron, a couple of Chinese Spotbills that were called out by the All Stars as they walked past us having done the full circuit, and finally a few minutes after the All Stars had moved on the Peregrine showed hunting very low and disappeared out of sight before we could all get on it, but then climbed up and hung in the air enabling all four of us to nail it. Heading back to the car the Eastern Marsh Harrier that has been masquerading as a Hen Harrier appeared over the seedbed in front of the Education Centre and two Spotted Redshanks - a bird we had written off as it had only been seen away from our route during the week - appeared on the closest mudbank in Pond 11 - golden!

After a quick snack break we left Mai Po around 2:45 and headed for San Tin. We had high hopes, but again the weather darkened threateningly as we bumped our way over to the ponds. Collared Doves, Tree Sparrows, Richard's Pipits and Yellow Wagtails posed on the bunds, Red-rumped Swallows were hawking over the ponds and a Dusky Shrike lurked over the central drainage channel in a customary spot. Just a few yards further on my first Sooty-headed Bubul at San Tin for a couple of years was perched above some banana trees. where one Common Pochard and a couple of Moorhen were showing on the pond with submerged vegetation, a Zitting Cisticola sat up nicely, Plain Prinia called and showed on the edge of the emergent grass and a solitary Cattle Egret was sat on a wire overlooking its usual pond. We could not find the two Falcated Ducks and missed the Smew that the All Stars saw right next to the Pochard!

The northern edge produced the hoped-for Red and Oriental Turtle Doves, plus several White-cheeked Starlings as well as Imperial and Great Spotted Eagles - the latter lurking on a perch inside the Lok Ma Chau reserve. A Black-browed Reed Warbler responded nicely to pishing in the central ditch and a Eurasian Kestrel behaved almost exactly like the Peregrine, flying rapidly away close to the ground before soaring up so that everyone could nail it!

Two Red-throated Pipits (including the bird with the distinctive leucitic patch on the crown) appeared where they had not the previous Saturday and a Black-faced Bunting gave brief flush views as we approach the rickety bridge. Here we made our bold decision to go for our staked-out Eurasian Coot, and thankfully the fifteen minute diversion was rewarded as it emerged as if on cue from the reeds as we approached its pond. We also added Black-winged Stilt here. The Taiga Flycatcher at the Blue Bridge on San Tin Main Drainage Channel declined to co-operate, but only cost us three or four minutes as we headed for our final destination - Long Valley - arriving around 4:30, and just 90 minutes remaining in the race.

Long Valley started with a bang. Having driven in to the Ho Sheung Heung entrance a Chinese Francolin called from Crest Hill as we cross the bridge. Richard almost missed it as he had his head deep in a sandwich, but thankfully it called again adding a terrific bonus bird to our list. What it was doing calling on a dank February afternoon is anybody's guess!

A male Daurian Redstart was lurking in the bamboos by the first pond and Richard picked out another bonus bird - a Pacific Swift that was foraging with the House Swifts above the lychee trees on the bunds near the village. Our four main targets were Common Snipe, Swintail Snipe, Greater Painted-snipe and Bluethroat. The first three behaved beautifully, coming out of the wet agriculture and flying off into cover giving good views. The Bluethroat which had performed so well earlier in the week after Karen had found it decided it was not going to show for us, but irritatingly did show for the All Stars , even perching up on a wire, shortly after we had moved on!

With time running out we jumped onto the car at Yin Kong and zoomed down to Island House in Tai Po, where we failed to find the staked out Pacific Reef Egret, but did get lucky with a calling and then silhouetted Blue Magpie with two minutes to go before the race ended.

We finished with 158 species, which was not only the winning score, but a victory by ten species over our nearest rivals!

Should you wish to sponsor our team - all funds raised go to WWF for habitat management at Mai Po - please click on the link below - Thank you!

https://apps2.wwf.org.hk/BBR2019/page/profile/288

Last edited:
Many thanks Tom - it was a major surprise as we haven’t won for fifteen years and haven’t been competitive for more than five. This is not altogether surprising as I represent the team’s youth policy - aged 49! Much of the planning aims to minimise pressure on dodgy knees and backs, and having our driver meet us at key points loaded with high energy food and lots of liquids is great for morale as well as replenishment of blood sugars!

Strategically our big success was arriving at the boardwalk in time to catch the small waders on the rising tide. Most teams did not and this probably gave us a six to ten species advantage. This was no fluke - good recce work and unusually good time discipline on leaving Tai Po Kau meant we were not caught out by the tide coming up around 30 minutes early.

It was also one of those days when the birds just loved us. We’ve had several races where a decent strategy and good preparation were not rewarded as the birds simply did not show for us.

Since then I had a rather quiet visit to San Tin two weeks ago in which I struggled to muster 60 species. I was pleased to find that the Smew was still present, but it was otherwise pretty hard going. Never mind spring is fast arriving - I had up to 6 Oriental Pratincoles at the airport this week.

Cheers
Mike

On Wednesday two Glossy Ibises, a bird that has not been seen in Hong Kong for 25 years, appeared for five minutes on the Scrape at Mai Po. Amazing the same birder found them again a couple of hours later at Long Valley - just a few kilometres away. They stayed at Long valley for the next two days . . . and much to my disappointment failed to appear this morning. I very much wish I'd made the early morning dash, but having been sick on Wednesday and with big meeting on Friday the "sensible" course prevailed and the chance is gone.

When I arrived at Long Valley there were birders everywhere and it was clear they were not there and if they turned up I'd hear about it on the WhatsApp group. So I went off to try to find them. Of course I didn't, but while exploring the part of Long Valley across the river that no-one goes to I heard a snatch of song and looking down from the top of the bank I was delighted to see first one and then two stonking male Siberian Rubythroats singing and displaying furiously at each other in full view in the bare lower branches of a tree.

Now this just doesn't happen. Rubythroats are almost invariably major skulkers and it can take some serious pishing to get a flash of that almost unbelievable red throat through the undergrowth. But these guys were so worked up and intent on out-singing and out-displaying each other that all genetic predispositions to skulk were blown away by the surge and counter-surge of testosterone. I was able to get a couple of decent shots and (for me at least) some absolutely cracking video of one of the birds getting himself more and more worked-up until eventually he lost it and charged off after his rival. Just brilliant!

The Youtube clip clip is here: https://youtu.be/7ua3LQNA0Qw

Other birds around the patchwork of tree-lined ponds included a few each of Dusky and Yellow-browed Warblers, a gang of Olive-backed Pipits, rootling through the undergrowth, a male Daurian Redstart that piled in with the Rubythroats at one point, three or four Stejneger's Stonechats and an Asian Koel that was still cracking his notes and struggling to settle settle into the study repetitive song that is such a feature of early spring in Hong Kong.

Still hoping to find the Ibises I found a way to cross the river to check out the small area of fields on at Fu Tei Au. This required finding a way under the railway and through and around the huge pipes that bring water to Hong Kong from the East River in China. Eventually I beat the labyrinth and emerged on the banks of a pond that exploded with Kingfishers. What was obviously a family party of Pied Kingfishers shot off in all directions from some dead branches overhanging the water and one of a pair of White-throated Kingfishers flew up and landed on a telegraph pole. The fields around here looked a bit less manicured than the more intensively cultivated areas across the river and looked promising without really delivering much more than a flyover Peregrine a busy family party of Masked Laughingthrushes and a couple of Red-billed Blue Magpies.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC04336 Siberian Rubythroat @ LV.jpg
    DSC04336 Siberian Rubythroat @ LV.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC04340 Siberian Rubythroat @ LV.jpg
    DSC04340 Siberian Rubythroat @ LV.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC04351 Siberian Rubythroat @ LV.jpg
    DSC04351 Siberian Rubythroat @ LV.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC04329 Blue Magpie @ LV.jpg
    DSC04329 Blue Magpie @ LV.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04354 Water pipes from China @ LV.jpg
    DSC04354 Water pipes from China @ LV.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Tom and Owen - I keep going back to watch the clip again and enjoy how worked up he gets himself!

On Sunday - still in search of the Glossy Ibises I headed back to San Tin on the basis that it was as good a place to look as anywhere. It was another delightfully cool and overcast day with temperatures below 20 centigrade perhaps for the last time before November or December.

I deliberately started birding along the access road in the hope of adding some woodland species - and almost immediately picked up the sharp rattle of a Taiga Flycatcher across the back of the lotus pond. I also heard a Common Kingfisher and the day's only Grey Wagtail on the other side of the road. There was another one in the flood control pond along with 18 loafing Black-crowned Night Heronsplus Grey and Chinese Pond Herons.

On entering the ponds the first sign of spring was the first of several flocks of White-shouldered Starlings, the males with huge shining-white shoulder patches, that were shooting about and exploring possible nesting sites. Several flocks of House Swifts and Barn Swallows hunting low over the ponds had me scanning for non-existent needle tails - two Silver-backed Needletails showed over Mai Po during the morning - and I had to make do with a single Pacific Swift by way of variety. The first pond on the left held a single Intermediate Egret amongst a dozen Little Egrets foraging along the grassy edge, and nine Cattle Egrets squatting on the road in front of a couple of relaxed-looking dogs made for a nice photo op.

One of the birds of the day was an Eastern Marsh Harrier quartering the bunds with its legs hanging menacingly down, waiting to pounce. The photos I got showed it was replacing a central tail feather, identifying it as the same individual we saw on the bird race at Mai Po a few weeks earlier. These bunds held the first of four Black-browed Reed Warblers but were otherwise rather quiet, and I'm a bit surprised I'm yet to score an Oriental Pratincole here as they are usually an early arriver among the waders. the best I could manage among the usual wintering suspects was a pair of Temminck's Stints in their subfusc breeding plumage on a drained pond that had been cratered by big fish as the water dropped, and several noisy Common Greenshanks, which seem especially fond of San Tin.

The edge of Lok Ma Chau Reserve held a gang of ten Red Turtle Doves and 25 Oriental Turtle Doves, pus three White-cheeked Starlings, a couple of remaining Silky Starlings and a trio of Azure-winged Magpies sitting strangely quiet in the same fruiting trees.

The far northeast corner held my first patch tick of the day - a Rufous-tailed Robin singing away from deep cover - presumably a migrant brought down by the rainy weather and finding the tangle of scrub and trees a decent enough shelter for a day or so. Conversely the onset of spring had caused a major clearcut of Zitting Cisticolas - from a trial count of 20+ down to a single bird.

The ducks had also thinned out - I managed a mere 25 Tufties, a single Shoveler and a dozen Eurasian Teals on the drainage channel - and the Common Pochard seems finally to have departed after a stay of almost seven months. More positively the three Black-faced Spoonbills a female Eurasian Kestrel and a Buzzard were still about, and I was delighted to see a pristine adult Purple Heron (just my second of the winter) fly up from the edge of the grass-filled pond and settle in the far corner. And even better was to come as squelched my way through the wet grass at the far end and put up a Great Bittern that was also hiding among the submerged vegetation! Not only was this a patch tick but also my first in Hong Kong for a good ten years. It flew around a couple of times, allowing me to get some moderate shots - and add another great record to what is by far the best performing pond on the site.

That would have been great way to finish , but a Red-necked Phalarope with the discernment to prefer a stinky drainage channel, which also held several Fantail Snipe, a Marsh Sandpiper and a few Black-winged Stilts, to the thirty or so ponds added further icing to what had already been a pretty marvellous cake!

I logged a solid 78 species which, if nowhere near the record, was nonetheless a good rebound from the rather meagre sixty I recorded on my last visit.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC04359 Cattle Egret @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04359 Cattle Egret @ San Tin.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC04375 Eastern Marsh Harrier @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04375 Eastern Marsh Harrier @ San Tin.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC04389 Black-faced Spoonbill @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04389 Black-faced Spoonbill @ San Tin.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC04434 Great Bittern @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04434 Great Bittern @ San Tin.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC04462 RN Phalarope @ San Tin.jpg
    DSC04462 RN Phalarope @ San Tin.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Tom

Fantailed is an alternative name for Common Snipe.

I've not been to San Tin for a while as I've been out chasing Hong Kong lifers. This three part series takes me to three different parts of Hong Kong in pursuit of three absolute mega birds. Last year, despite my autumn at San Tin being so good, it took me until November to land a Hong Kong tick –the European Golden Plover that spent a few days at Mai Po.

This year has been a very different story – the Blunt-winged Warbler I found in January at San Tin kicked off proceedings, and was shortly followed by the Fire-capped Tit at Kadoorie Farm in February, and in nine short days I’ve pursued three more absolute megas – Hong Kong’s third Glossy Ibises, its first Western Yellow Wagtail, and its first(ish) Wood Warbler. All three of these turned up in the middle of the week, giving me several days of “will I, won’t I” stressing about whether I should make an early morning dash or keep my cool and hope it stays until the weekend – welcome to the world of the Weekday Worrier.

The ibises were the worst. They first appeared on a Wednesday at Mai Po, showed on Thursday and Friday at Long Valley - but were nowhere to be found on either Saturday or Sunday. Grabbing a video clip of two oversexed Siberian Rubythroats winding each other up to such an extent that they sang and displayed in full view for well over five minutes provided some compensation for missing them. But despite this amazing moment I the worried that the next appearance of Glossy Ibis could be another 25 years down the track, which is the gap since the last Glossy Ibis appeared in Hong Kong.

For no logical reason I held a lingering hope that they might have hung about somewhere in Deep Bay. So a renewed surge of optimism – and Weekday Worry - ensued when they were discovered flying towards Nam Sang Wai on the Monday evening. It emerged that they had been going to roost in the trees next to the sewage treatment works opposite the northern tip of Nam Sang Wai. They were seen again coming out of the roost and feeding on the mud the next day, although they moved away to feed shortly before 7:00am. The next morning Wednesday 27th March - I cracked, and agreed to meet Ruy Barretto at Kam Sheung Road station at 7:00am in an attempt to see them and get back to the airport for work at 0900. I was 20 minutes early for Ruy, which was about the time that Graham Talbot sent through a message that one ibis had appeared and was showing well, if distantly. The minutes before Ruy arrived and we headed off to Nam Sang Wai were as twitchy as I’ve been for a very long time.

As he arrived Ruy told me he’d photographed a night heron on his driveway as he was heading out. With the twitches turning into spasms and assuming it would be a Black-crowned Night Heron I calmly (ok, not calmly) suggested we get underway as there was no telling when the ibises might move off for the day. Having got underway I looked at the screen on the back of Ruy's camera - and was astonished to see a superb adult Malayan Night Heron staring back at me! Thankfully MNH is a bird I’ve seen a few times in Hong Kong, so It did not change our plan, but if we did connect with the ibises, Ruy would scored have an incredible double!

When we arrived Graham Talbot and the Woodwards had a Glossy Ibis lined up in their scopes, quickly allaying any fears of a nightmare dip and allowing me to enjoy it feeding along the edge of the mangrove-lined mudflat with a fine pair of Garganey, Black-headed Gulls, Black-winged Stilts, Marsh and Wood Sandpiper, plus a Chinese Pond Herons in pristine spring plumage, Great and Little Egrets, and a few Black-faced Spoonbills.

I was surprised how small they looked – a bit bigger than the Chinese Pond Heron but not as tall as tall as the Black-winged Stilts. After a few minutes it flew up and landed on the closest stretch of mud to where we were standing, and continued picking along the edge of the water. Shortly after it flew away low along the Shan Pui River, and almost as it disappeared round the corner the second bird flew out high and away up the Kam Tin River.

Needless to say it was an enjoyable trip back to the office - high on the ibises, but definitely running out of energy by the end of the day.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC04492 Glossy Ibis @ Nam Sang Wai.jpg
    DSC04492 Glossy Ibis @ Nam Sang Wai.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC04497 Glossy ibis @ Nam Sang Wai.jpg
    DSC04497 Glossy ibis @ Nam Sang Wai.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC04498 Glossy Ibis @ Nam Sang Wai.jpg
    DSC04498 Glossy Ibis @ Nam Sang Wai.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 16
Very well written Mike! I could sense the urgency and pressure you were under in your writing. Some quality species. Hong Kong must have quite a list. Congrats on successful mid week twitching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back