• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (2 Viewers)

The Crestie hasn't materialised today so looks like a false alarm. Thanks for alerting us to it tho Simon, you never know.
It keeps the juices flowing even if negative news.
I remember chasing an alleged "Accentor" round Pilsley gardens years ago and although it turned into a huge papier mâché hoax it was fun for a while.
This one just looks like a case of mistaken identity.

I think as we all expected Dan, but never count anything out is a lesson I have learned.

Male Blackcap still present at home this morning. Also, a male Blackbird appears to have teamed up with the Greater peckers! He follows them around the garden and sits under the suet feeders (I use 4 peanut cages and fill them with suet pellets from Wilkos) thus collecting all the stuff that they drop. There are 3 of them at the minute so he does pretty well out of them.

Would just like to say despite all the birding equipment available on the net, you can't beat going to a local place like Focus Optics trying out gear for yourself. At a little more than an hour down the motorway,you are more likely to make the right choice, and receive fantastic service, it's well worth the extra few quid you might pay. Possibly many of you have already used them, and continuing to support them ensure they are still about for birders of the future to benefit from. I post this out of appreciation of the service from Tim and his team.

They are going to be sold officially via One Stop Nature shop in Burnham Deepdale which is great if you've never stopped by.
Great cafe next door too.
Ollie Reville works there and is a good contact if you want one

Just in case anyone who reads this on here and was a regular on the DOS trips in the 90's and knew Tony Atkinson who ran them, I thought I'd let you know we just received an Email saying that he passed away Wednesday last. A very sad loss, I remember many fantastic days birding with Tony, Tonys Intrepid Tours will live forever in my memories as great days out with great company and great birds.

ATB

Sad news indeed, likewise great memories of the trips and Tony's emthusiasm.

Rob

Word of caution for anyone wanting to view the GW Teal at WGP. The water levels are very high and you will only get down the lane (from the fisherman's entrance) by wearing waders. Certainly yesterday morning the water level was above wellie height.

:C

Dear Mr Hallam

Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Town and Country Planning General Regulations 1992
Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2010

Application No: DER/12/13/01465/DCC

Proposal: Erection of a Closed Circuit Cycle Track (CCCT) and Mountain Bike
Skills area (MBS) together with associated fencing and landscaping.

Case Officer: Laura Neale Ward Alvaston

You will recall that you made written representations to me about the above mentioned proposal.

The City Council has now made a decision, taking into account your representations, on the application. I can inform you that the application was granted. You will be able to view this decision, including any conditions that may have been imposed on this approval, in the next few days at www.derby.gov.uk/eplanning. If you wish to do so, please enter the

application number: 12/13/01465 in the 'Quick Search' box.

Yours sincerely
Laura Neale
Major Projects Officer
Development Management --AnlSNOTREmail>
Neighbourhoods | The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS | www.derby.gov.uk

Thanks Clive,

Sad and the comments of people are really pathetic, as if they even know what a nature reserve is all about - from the BBC website:

Labour councillor Sara Boulton said the new facility would only take up a "slice of the land".
Ms Boulton, chair of Derby City Council's planning committee, said: "In actual fact it's only a slice of the land, it's 18% of the total area of The Sanctuary that will be made up of this close-circuit cycle track.
Peter Turner from Derby Mercury Cycling Club "Cycling is quiet, we're not noisy and I don't see that as being such a big issue for the birds as made out."

:C

Dear Mr Hallam

Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Town and Country Planning General Regulations 1992
Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2010

Application No: DER/12/13/01465/DCC

Proposal: Erection of a Closed Circuit Cycle Track (CCCT) and Mountain Bike
Skills area (MBS) together with associated fencing and landscaping.

Case Officer: Laura Neale Ward Alvaston

You will recall that you made written representations to me about the above mentioned proposal.

The City Council has now made a decision, taking into account your representations, on the application. I can inform you that the application was granted. You will be able to view this decision, including any conditions that may have been imposed on this approval, in the next few days at www.derby.gov.uk/eplanning. If you wish to do so, please enter the

application number: 12/13/01465 in the 'Quick Search' box.

Yours sincerely
Laura Neale
Major Projects Officer
Development Management --AnlSNOTREmail>
Neighbourhoods | The Council House, Corporation Street, Derby, DE1 2FS | www.derby.gov.uk

Thanks, I have had the same, maybe sign this?

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...on_created&utm_medium=email&utm_source=guides

Sorry this is late, but I was at Carsington yesterday and 90% certain had a Shag. Only had bins and I was looking off Stones Island towards Millfields. It was really difficult to watch on the water (surf was up, dudes!), but it then flew way off heading into Hopton Arm, though it might have landed, I just lost it. What more can I say? Not much.

Couldn't make much out on the water, but in flight it was a wee diddy little thing, neck was match stick thin and pinched in the middle, no Cormorant kink, but it was just so far off, and it was blowing a gale, and I had a 23lb infant strapped to my back. Had I been on the coast it was undoubtedly a Shag, in Derbyshire not so confident. Strange but true. But definitely worth keeping an eye out.

Also an adult Med Gull off Sheepwash car park (what's all this about pay+display? The robbing baxterds), and the Diver was close off Stones Island as well.

�� Come on?! Only me? Toms had a shag at Carsi on nearly valentines day!
Oh well, juvenile humour.....
It's a good shout with all this crap weather.
I remember a Shag I had in Dovedale midwinter with Sellors - steady! - it was bloody freezing.
Then what about that large flock of 30 odd in that little park at Sutton Lawns park that year? Quite a sight.

�� Come on?! Only me? Toms had a shag at Carsi on nearly valentines day!
Oh well, juvenile humour.....
It's a good shout with all this crap weather.
I remember a Shag I had in Dovedale midwinter with Sellors - steady! - it was bloody freezing.
Then what about that large flock of 30 odd in that little park at Sutton Lawns park that year? Quite a sight.

You and Sellors who whould have thought it! Best check Carsi tomorroow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back