• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID by song (1 Viewer)

rkbirding

United States
I saw 3 of these birds tonight in southern california in a parking lot literally running around on the pavement looking for food. They kept crying out to eachother and appeared to have fairly long legs. The sun had just finnished setting so i couldn't see any colors on them and the picture i took is really dark but may help as a sillouette, i'm not sure at all but i think they were mostly white colored. I managed to capture them singing with my camera's video mode and converted the audio to mp3. Can anyone tell what kinda bird they are? http://rtfm.insomnia.org/~gt3/what-bird.mp3

Attachments

• nightbird.jpg
    nightbird.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Chris Benesh said:
Hi Rkulla,

Your birds are Killdeer. They get pretty active after dark.

Chris

You're right! That's so cool because the whole time i was looking at them i was thinking 'plover' even though i've never seen a plover except in my field guide and on tv, and I doubted why a plover would be in a parking lot and at night time. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back