• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (2 Viewers)

Hi occasional. I have not stayed in Balule although friends of mine love it. You may be able to answer this question by reading this dedicated Balule thread on the SANParks forum:

HERE

Hi, everybody,
Sorry to have been off the air for a while, but it was forced upon me for the best of reasons, namely the unexpected and early arrival of a beautiful granddaughter. This, of course, resulted in a period of temporary chaos during which the family did not know whether it was coming or going.
Now that the dust has settled, I can hopefully get back into the swing of things.
Best wishes,
Dave

Hi Dave
Congratulations on the new granddaughter, I hope she will bring the family a lot of delight. Have you started teaching her bird calls yet?

Hi Dave
Congratulations on the new granddaughter, I hope she will bring the family a lot of delight. Have you started teaching her bird calls yet?

Thanks,Sal.
As to the bird calls, she's not even home from the hospital yet. We're expecting her to come home around 13h00 today, so I'll get started on the bird calls around 15h00, after all the ooh's and aah's are finished.
Best wishes,
Dave

You may be able to answer this question by reading this dedicated Balule thread on the SANParks forum:

Thanks, Sal. I have been immersed in the amazing world of intercontinental air fares, and had not realised that there were so many threads available on the SANparks website.

Thanks, Sal. I have been immersed in the amazing world of intercontinental air fares, and had not realised that there were so many threads available on the SANparks website.

Now, having sorted out the air fares you can become immersed in the amazing world of the SANParks forum where all your questions will be answered! :-O

Hi, everybody,
Sorry to have been off the air for a while, but it was forced upon me for the best of reasons, namely the unexpected and early arrival of a beautiful granddaughter. This, of course, resulted in a period of temporary chaos during which the family did not know whether it was coming or going.
Now that the dust has settled, I can hopefully get back into the swing of things.
Best wishes,
Dave

Dave,
Many congratulations. Grandchildren must be great - you can hand them back when you have had enough ;)
Hopefully still some years before we are in that category.

Allan

In fact I was hoping to start with another park before the Kruger but I am having difficulty finding up-to-date information.
Does anyone know anything about the Hans Merensky Nature reserve in Limpopo ?

And a further question.

Would those with experience take anti-malaria pills in August in Chobe and Maun ?

If they are necessary it looks like that part of the trip will have to be abandoned.

And a further question.

Would those with experience take anti-malaria pills in August in Chobe and Maun ?

If they are necessary it looks like that part of the trip will have to be abandoned.

I would never advise someone that it is safe not to take malaria prophylactics in Botswana in August or any other month. It is very important that you take them. You do not necessarily see many mosquitos in the winter months, but to refrain from taking the prophylactics is to put yourselves at risk of a potentially fatal disease. I am sure there may be others who will tell you otherwise because some locals don't take them, but you refrain at your own risk. Sorry occasional, but that is my view.

Thanks, Sal.

Strangely it has happened on my last three forays to the southern hemisphere (Malaysia and South Africa) that we have gone in to the local chemists to purchase anti-malaria pills, and the chemist has simply commented, more or less, that "people round here do not use them, at least at this time of year".

On this basis we have been happy not to use them.

Unfortunately my other half reacts very badly to the pills (or at least to the two types she has taken in the past) and we have to plan round this. The question then becomes where to draw the line, rather than whether or not to take the pills.

I too react very badly to them and I use homeopathic pills - we have a local homeopath who puts them up for me - but many medics scorn them, so again, its at your own risk. I have great faith in them, but I also am careful to wear long sleeves and long pants at night, use citronella wipes, citronella soap, citronella candles, citronella lotion. I don't know if you're camping or staying in chalets in Botswana, but if camping there is a greater risk as you can shut yourselves into an insect-screened chalet at night and be excluded from them. If you tried to purchase the pills in, say Nelspruit when you were going into Kruger, you will get that response all the time. It is very wrong of the local pharmacists to take this attitude; you should probably try buying them far from the malarial areas. If you know what chemical it is that causes these bad reactions in your other half you might be able to discuss an alternative with a pharmacist?

if you do decide to go just remember that at the very first sign of cold or flu symptoms (eg heaache, sore throat, aching, temp, sinusy head)go straight to a Dr and tell him/her where you have been; the sooner malaria is diagnosed, the better it can be treated. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Thanks, Sal.

Unfortunately my other half reacts very badly to the pills (or at least to the two types she has taken in the past) and we have to plan round this. The question then becomes where to draw the line, rather than whether or not to take the pills.

You should contact your nearest Institute of Tropical Medicine, or the British Airways Travel Clinic for advice re sensitivity to anti-malarials. New products are appearing all the time, and I will try to find out what has been receiving favourable reports lately. It makes sense also to take a short course of the medication well before leaving, to test for adverse reaction. There is no point waiting until you are out here before finding out that there is a problem.
Dave

Last edited:
Dave,
Many congratulations. Grandchildren must be great - you can hand them back when you have had enough ;)
Hopefully still some years before we are in that category.

Allan

Thanks for the good wishes, Allan. And you're right, there's nothing like the sigh of relief when Mum and Dad return from whatever errand they may have been on.
Dave

Thanks, Sal.

Opinion here favours MALARONE as the best of the current range of anti-malarials. It is effective, with minimal side effects. It is expensive, but worth it for peace of mind and a trouble-free holiday. I suggest you investigate this product, and if at all possible, test it in advance.
Best wishes,
Dave

And a further question.

We always take malaria tablets. The locals will not take them, but the doctors are geared up for malaria and look for it as a matter of course so diagnosis and treatment is very quick.
Here in the UK it is different, as it is only on prompting that they even think to test for it. As the symptoms can be delayed, sometimes by quite a while, it can easily be missed, which as Dave says can be fatal. There have been several high profile cases lately - Cheryl Cole, George Clooney, Didier Drogba, all of whom did not take the medication.
See your doctor re adverse reactions - there are now several different types, so one should hopefully suit.

Allan

Opinion here favours MALARONE as the best of the current range of anti-malarials. It is effective, with minimal side effects. It is expensive, but worth it for peace of mind and a trouble-free holiday. I suggest you investigate this product, and if at all possible, test it in advance.
Best wishes,
Dave

Agreed - my wife takes Malarone due to problems with Larium. Being totally insensitive (as she describes me) I take Larium.

In fact we have just ordered our next batch as we are coming out again in three weeks :t: :t: :t:

Allan

Agreed - my wife takes Malarone due to problems with Larium. Being totally insensitive (as she describes me) I take Larium.

In fact we have just ordered our next batch as we are coming out again in three weeks :t: :t: :t:

Allan

Ooooh! And I bet you're going to Kruger!!! Have a great time and make sure you're back by the end of March! :-O

Not exactly a bird......but interesting nonetheless. A Rhombic Night Adder Causus rhombeatus enjoying a snack in our garden, yesterday around midday.
Dave

Attachments

• Rhombic-Night-Adder-2.jpg
    Rhombic-Night-Adder-2.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 63
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back