• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 70-300mm? Or should I just save? (1 Viewer)

Tyler Vargo

[font=&quot]As it says over my av, I am a low budget birder. Currently I don't even have a telephoto for my D70 and that is why I'm asking this.

Is there a good 70-300mm lens out there (for Nikon cameras) that is relatively cheap (UNDER 200 USD)? I like the look of the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super II; does anybody here have experience with that lens? Is it any good? The reviews on all sites range from "best lens ever" type reviews to "worst lens ever" reviews...

I don't really want to wait until next year to have a telephoto lens and that's what I'm going to have to do if I just save my money for a Sigma 80-400mm OS. But is a 70-300 not worth it? Should I wait?

Thanks in advance for the help!
[/font]

Last edited:
Tyler Vargo said:
[font=&quot]As it says over my av, I am a low budget birder. Currently I don't even have a telephoto for my D70 and that is why I'm asking this.

Is there a good 70-300mm lens out there (for Nikon cameras) that is relatively cheap (UNDER 200 USD)? I like the look of the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super II; does anybody here have experience with that lens? Is it any good? The reviews on all sites range from "best lens ever" type reviews to "worst lens ever" reviews...

I don't really want to wait until next year to have a telephoto lens and that's what I'm going to have to do if I just save my money for a Sigma 80-400mm OS. But is a 70-300 not worth it? Should I wait?

Thanks in advance for the help!
[/font]
I have this lens, & i am very pleased with it. Autofocus is quick & relatively quiet. The macro facility gives 1:2 images & overall is a good cheap lens. I bought mine on ebay, secondhand for £100 in mint condition to go with my Tamron 200-500 & 18-70 nikon. No complaints for the money. If you can get one for similar money, you will not lose much ( if any!)if you decide to sell it on when you upgrade to the 80-400.

I wanted a smaller/shorter alternative for when my 135-400mm was just too big and looked at all the 70-300mm budget lenses. I've used the Tamron 70-300mm - which I believe is identical to the Nikon G lens - very cheap but prone to purple fringing when it's sunny - otherwise a great budget buy at about 50-60.00 on ebay. I ended up with the sigma APO Macro ll [about 100.00 second hand] based on the reviews and on my 135-400mm's performance, and I think it's probably the best cheapish lens you can get. Average AF speed etc. - not too heavy - and importantly for bird photographers it seems very good in respect of no CA - have'nt had any trouble with purple fringing so far.

Thanks for the replies, I still have to save even though the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super II is a cheap lens... But not as long as I will when I go to get the 80-400 OS.

I'd agree with Rob and Greypoint - the APO II (which I picked on the recommendation of "Yossi" on this forum) is probably as good as it gets at the cheaper end of the spectrum: very good colours, and - as long as you don't expect miracles from full zoom/low light - a very nice, usable lens.

More proof?

This gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/ccraft/sigma_70300

And in particular, what I consider the best wildlife image I've ever seen:
http://www.pbase.com/ccraft/image/34529964

I regularly surf back to that shot, just to say "wow!" again..!

Wow!

Again!

The Sigma is indeed the best inexpensive lens in this range. It is perfect for short and medium range hand held shots (in good lighting conditions) and most complaints about blurred images shot with lenses in this range are due to vibration. For the long range a tripod is recommended and closing to F:8.
Here are two samples taken with this lens hand held @300mm. Nice color rendition and good sharpness.

Attachments

• DSC_0021f.jpg
    DSC_0021f.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC_0013f.jpg
    DSC_0013f.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 435
Yes Yossi, very nice! Could you post a 100% crop of the bird in the 2nd photographs head or another hight-detail area? I'm interested to see the detail rendition. That is a make or break issue.

Here are two samples - the one with the bird had some USM applied to the original image (0.5, 100, 0) due to the fact it was not taken on a tripod and the aperture was set to F:7.1, not 8. The cat shot is "as is". The larger red rectangles are 100% crops of the smaller ones. Both pictures were taken @300mm f:7.1.

Attachments

• dsc77019f.jpg
    dsc77019f.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 346
  • DSC_0013F1.jpg
    DSC_0013F1.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Well, thank's for the replies all, I ordered a [font=&quot]Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro Super II and recieved it today. I haven't shot any birds yet but I went to the local international airport and got some nice photographs.

I have attached the best photograph I got in my half hour or so of using the lens today.
[/font]

Attachments

• DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
vjack said:
Is 300mm really enough reach for birding?

Not really, you'll still have to get close to the subject. If it will allow it.
I have the same lens and for the price I'm pretty happy with it.

I am planning on getting the Sigma 50-500 EX DG in the future.

JSI said:
I am planning on getting the Sigma 50-500 EX DG in the future.

I'm looking at that one too, although I find it hard to pass up the Canon 100-400L given the positive reviews I keep finding.

300mm is 450mm with the 1.5x crop factor, you seem to overlook that. It isn't always enough for birding but is for larger birds at moderate distances. I don't bird as much as I photograph aircraft either.

Don't rebuke it though, in the same position as me none of you could do better.

You'd have to be happy with what you have, a $200, 450mm lens that has to be stopped down to f8 for good sharpness instead of your fancy multi thousand dollar 600mm + lenses that are nearly perfect wide open.

So, to any big dollar professionals that have nothing but the best, and scoff at my equipment spend a while in my shoes. Take nothing but this with you when birding for a while.

Nikon D70, 256mb CF card, 18-70mm that is stuck between 24 and 44mm and going to be gone for 8+ weeks soon, sigma 70-300mm lens and a heavy aluminium tripod that is nearly impossible to carry around for longer than a half hour in the Florida heat.

Tyler, I don't think anyone was trying to criticize you. I'm in a similar situation as you in that money is limited. I'm just getting into birding, and I don't know enough to criticize anyone. I'm simply researching super telephoto lenses and hoping to learn something.

I managed to get a Sigma 135-400mm second hand and got my Sigma 70-300mm from Ebay second hand too. Bought the D70 when the price had dropped - so the whole kit is budget end. You work with what you've got.Budget Sigma APO lenses are'nt too speedy to AF and don't have the wide apertures of more expensive glass, but the 70-300mm with the 1.5x factor is lightweight, does'nt suffer from purple fringing, and on the D70 makes a great walkaround lens. In the past I had a little Olympus 770 ultra zoom - added a Tcon and used the 'superzoom' setting [it's better than digital zoom but please don't ask exactly how or why!] - this gave me a range of over 900mm. I still could'nt get big enough images of birds on the far side of the lake. So 450mm is pretty good for lots of bird stuff - otherwise it's probably down to digiscoping.

I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with the 70-300. I have the same lens and it is a great lens. And being only $200 makes it even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back