• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony FE 300mm f2.8 OSS G Master Lens (3 Viewers)

Andy Hall

Notts Birder
Has anyone considered buying this lens? I have been using the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS for over three years and while it's a good lens, I have been eyeing up an alternative but not able to justify the price tags for either the Sony 400mm or 600mm. The launch of the 300mm GM seems to be an opportunity to step up a level, when coupled with a converter. The 1.4 x converter would provide the equivalent of 420mm with a 3.9mm f stop. It's also an incredibly light lens at 1.4kg, making all day long hand held photography easy. Ideal for my birding point and shoot style. Though a chunk of change, the price of £5,700 is very tempting.

Thoughts?

I have the 400 and 600 and would love this to. The 400 is for work and the 600 mostly for fun. I would get some use from a 300mm mostly for indoor sports but they aren't usually paid jobs so I think I'll pass. If I was in your shoes and my main purpose was birding I would be looking at getting a second hand 400mm. I paid £7k for mine about two years ago and they do come up from time to time. They are fantastic lenses

I just bought the sony 300 f2.8 GM, delivery is end of March. I was a Nikon shooter (D500) and switched to Sony about two years ago. Since then Nikon has released wonderful and light lenses for wildlife. Too late for me.

My main lens now is the Sony 600 GM f4.0. It is amazing but heavy for long walks. I know that 300 is a little short for birds but there are no other options of great and light lenses in Sony mount. My plan is to use this 300mm with 1.4x tc as a lightweight option.

I just bought the sony 300 f2.8 GM, delivery is end of March. I was a Nikon shooter (D500) and switched to Sony about two years ago. Since then Nikon has released wonderful and light lenses for wildlife. Too late for me.

My main lens now is the Sony 600 GM f4.0. It is amazing but heavy for long walks. I know that 300 is a little short for birds but there are no other options of great and light lenses in Sony mount. My plan is to use this 300mm with 1.4x tc as a lightweight option.
Yes, I took the plunge and ordered mine just after the OP. I'm in the first wave of orders and am told it's due beginning of February. I too plan to use the 1.4 X TC.

It's just arrived from Sony. Gonna have a play tomorrow. However, Wex's promised lens coat doesn't fit. After much prevarication in their store they admitted the lens coat for the 300GM doesn't exist yet!

Yes, if 300 I would move up to the 2X. The 200-600 is a superb lens but huge... I travel and dayhike with camera rig, and not sure I want to take that hit.

If you are going to use it at 420mm it is a great choice because of the light weight. For birding though 420mm is rather short, and the new 300mm with 2x extender at 600mm is not as sharp as the 200-600mm at 600mm (Re: 2nd test - ISO 12233 test chart 200 % shots ( studio flash ): Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review). The 200-600mm moreover has the flexibility of internal zoom and a more affordable price point.
You know, I looked at the link - expecting to see significant diff - and was blown away at how good the 300/2x is! Pixel peeping there's a diff, but in reality... I can't imagine you'd see the difference unless printing poster size pro prints (and doing this for a living). ymmv of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back