• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D - Official (at last) (1 Viewer)

Funny it came out on Amazon first. DPreview's owners stole the glory there!

I reckon if the 40d handles noise at high ISO's anything like the mkIII there will be a lot of 350/400/20/30d's for sale. It could add a couple of hours photography to a UK winters day!

There's a preview on DPReview. Looks similar to the rumours apart from the AF-On button, which I've not seen mentioned anywhere.

Looks very interesting and I'll be tempted to upgrade when the prices drop a bit (or I find myself in the US...). I particularly like the larger LCD, reduced noise, better AF, better buffer, faster fps and dust reduction. The latter is particularly relevenat as I have a problem with the damn stuff at the moment.

It looks like a good birding camera at 6.5 fp, better AF and the 1.6 crop factor.

I'll be interested to see what the 28-135 kit costs in the UK as it's $1500 on Amazon.com at launch ($1300 body only). I'll guess £900-1000 body only.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-Dig...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1187595486&sr=1-5

Richard

EDIT UK RRP £900 body only

Last edited:
Oh dear...

assumptions that the camera might come in for less than £800 are suddenly making my "I'm not really interested in a new camera at the moment..." stance rather difficult to maintain..!

;)

A New 1Ds MKIII too Launched today

Just in case it has slipped by unnoticed Canon have also launched the 1Ds MKIII today to and WE is also taking Pre-orders today

Get Ya Credit card out Nigel

Chris

If it has high ISO performance anywhere near as good as the 1D mk III then I think it will be a very popular camera.

It won't have high ISO performance anywhere near that of the 1D III. To expect anything else is quite absurd. High ISO quality is about, essentialy, two factors:

* (1) The base level of technology - sensor, micro-lenses, image processing engine & its firmware.

* (2) The size of the individual sensor elements.

No. (1) will, of course, be quite close - just as all Canon cameras within a given time frame tend to be similar to one another (consider, for example, 20D and 350D, or for that matter 5D - all around the same time, al about the same noise performance apart from .... well, that leads me to #2:

Bigger sensor elements collect more light. Basic physics; no way around it. This is why the 5D (using essentially the same sensor technology as the 20D and 350D and 30D) gives substantially better high ISO: the "pixel buckets" are bigger, so they collect more light. They generate the same amount of noise, but more signal. The result is simple: better quality images.

If you want the high ISO of the 1D III, you need similar base technology plus similar pixel size. Make a 40D with 6MP and you are in the ballpark. At 10MP in the 1.6 crop form, it is not reasonable to expect it to be much if any bette than the 20D/30D. Note that the 10MP 400D is clearly inferior to the 8MP 20D/30D at 800 ISO and above. So Canon have to improve quite a bit just to break even.

If you want the high ISO performance of a 1D III, you have a choice between two cameras: the 1D III or the 1D III.

It won't have high ISO performance anywhere near that of the 1D III.

If you want the high ISO performance of a 1D III, you have a choice between two cameras: the 1D III or the 1D III.

Well thank heaven for that. Didn't sleep a wink last night :bounce:

Hmmmm, now I just have to convince my SO that I need another Camera, when the 20D is still going fine. :-C :-C Any ideas out there - besides going out on my own???? ;)

too techie a response for me !

but from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40D-10-1MP-Digital-Camera/dp/B000V5P90K

"Although it is based on the image sensor used in the EOS Digital Rebel XTi, the EOS 40D Digital SLR's 10.1-megapixel CMOS APS-C size image sensor has been significantly improved thanks to the use of larger microlenses over each pixel to reduce noise and expand sensitivity up to ISO 3200.....

The EOS 40D also incorporates the optional Highlight Tone Priority and High-ISO Noise Reduction functions first introduced earlier this year with the EOS-1D Mark III Professional Digital SLR."

so hopefully there should be an improvement over 20D and 30D.

Richard

There's a preview on DPReview. Looks similar to the rumours apart from the AF-On button, which I've not seen mentioned anywhere.

From the press release, section New cross-type AF system: "In response to requests, the dedicated AF Start (AF-ON) button allows photographers to execute auto focus with their thumb."

Sounds like the AF should be better with all points now cross type (rather than just the centre on the 20/30D - if I remember correctly).

While the autofocus parameters seem to have been improved, I don't really understand the technical details. Can someone who understands these things confirm that it definitely still will not autofocus with a 2x converter on an f4 lens (without pin-taping)?

It won't have high ISO performance anywhere near that of the 1D III. To expect anything else is quite absurd.

I think Peter is just wishfully speculating about where in the middle it will sit - closer to the 30D or to the MKIII.

I've done it myself!

;)

It's worth bearing in mind that one of the reasons the MKIII is as dazzling as it seems to be at the noise thing is the very intelligent NR processing it contain over and above the basic capability of the sensor.

It looks (based on what we're seeing at the moment) like the 40D might have some of the same processing capability.

So - maybe - the new camera might put a bit more distance between it and the 30D than first impressions suggest.

Besides, given that I "happily" use 800 ISO when I need to on the 30D, I imagine it's safe to say that barring a real disaster on Canon's part the 40D is going to be both class leading (as per the 30D now) and will raise the bar for the class, even if it probably won't exactly compare with the Mk III.

I'm struggling to ignore the Devil whispering "buy one!" in my ear... and I was convinced I wouldn't be that interested!

;)

Last edited:
While the autofocus parameters seem to have been improved, I don't really understand the technical details. Can someone who understands these things confirm that it definitely still will not autofocus with a 2x converter on an f4 lens (without pin-taping)?

Based on what I have read in the specs - no it won't. The central point is optimised to operate faster/more acurate on lenses with max aperture of f2.8, and all 9 points will operate at apertures to f5.6.

I have only just noticed this bit of the dust cleaning system...

"The second part of the dust management system is a software solution that maps the location of any spots that may remain on the sensor. The mapped information is saved as Dust Delete Data and attached to the image file. Subsequently, the offending dust information is subtracted from the final image during post processing, using the supplied Digital Photo Professional software."

An automatic dust-bunny clone tool - just what I always wanted - shame it only works in DPP ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back