• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is "Leica" pronounced? (1 Viewer)

Minolta is (apparently) pronounced Mee-noh-roo-tah

Nikon (camera) is pronounced 'Brick' or 'Tank, built like a...'

A friend of a friend always mispronounced his Swift Audobon binoculars 'Orbydons' - we picked up on this to the extent of always calling them by this name, which can be a bit embarrassing when someone overhears you and doesn't know the 'joke'

One of the best uses of the correct pronunciation of Leica was in a famous review of the film I Am A Camera.

The reviewer simply wrote: "Me no Leica."

Could some German speakers give me a hand with Abbe-Koenig and Schmidt-Pechan? Most of the hunters I encounter around here pronounce Swarovski "Savorski".

"Leica" or "Zeiss" pronounced correctly will not arouse funny looks amongst English-speaking birders, but "nee-kon" might, notwithstanding that it is in fact correct. I've never quite understood why the Japanese adopted the romanized spelling "Minolta," since they have no actual "L" sound in their language, although their pronunciation of the syllables "ra," "ri," "ru," "re" and "ro" hint at an "L"-like sound. I always thought the pronunciation of "Swarovski" was fairly obvious, but, like others here, I've heard all kinds of mispronunciations. This is interesting, since the Swarovski name has fame beyond birding optics, but maybe those who covet crystal also mispronounce it.

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

I've always pronounced Leica as "Like-uh". The other day, as I was birding at a local park, a fellow asked if he could take a look through my "Leek-uh" binoculars. I was rather shocked... I had never heard this pronounciation before.

Just to settle the issue in my own mind, what is the correct way to say Leica?

Best wishes,
Bawko

pronounced 'go buy your own'

"Like ah" sounds better for german ears then other proposed pronunciations. "Ts-ice" is also correct and Swarovski should not be a problem for english speakers.
Abbe-Koenig would be Abbi Königg (ö like ea in learn) and Schmidt-Pechan something like Shmit-Pekhan (the ch is quite difficult for you, best equivalent would be the ch in Loch Ness).

Greetings from the german speaking part of Switzerland

André

Andre,

Thank you for the information and the link. Just to be sure, is the "A" in Abbe pronounced like the "a" in cat and the "e" like the "e" in Porsche? Is the "Pech" in Pechan pronounced similar to the English word peck? Is the first syllable in Pechan stressed?

Henry

wintibird said:
Schmidt-Pechan

In this case I imagined that maybe "Pechan" was French. Glad to have that one clarified.

Henry: The "A" in "cat" is not a common sound in standard European languages. Unless modified by a diacritical mark like an umlaut, it's usually what we would call a "broad A" sound. In the late 15th & early 16th Centuries, English underwent the "great vowel shift," giving us vowels that are used by nobody else. More recent history has caused vowel sounds in "network American" English and RP (or BBC) English to diverge in some instances.

Last edited:
What about 'EOS' and 'APO/Apochromatic?'

EOS stands for Electrical Optical System but do you pronounce it as a word or the individual letters and is Apo A-po or Appo?

henry link said:
Andre,

Thank you for the information and the link. Just to be sure, is the "A" in Abbe pronounced like the "a" in cat and the "e" like the "e" in Porsche? Is the "Pech" in Pechan pronounced similar to the English word peck? Is the first syllable in Pechan stressed?

Henry

Henry,

the A in this case is pronounced like the u in but, the e of Abbe like the first e in electricity. I think you are correct with your suggestion for Pech = peck. But I am not sure about which syllable is stressed, I don't think I have ever heared that name pronounced. I have only seen it written. I suppose, however, the second syllable is stressed, with the a again like the u in but, however drawn out. Thus more like in father.

André's suggestion for the ö in König is only an approximation. There is probably no comparable sound in English. I think the u in murder comes closer than the ea in learn. As ö is the same as oe, if you know how to pronounce Goethe, then you have it for König as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back