• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 8x32 HD and 10x32 HD....thoughts? (1 Viewer)

PatR

Wales
I have been offered a brand new pair of x32 Trinivod HD's (either magnification) at a very attractive price and wondered if anyone with experience of them has any pro's and con's that I should be aware of.

I ask because I have never owned a pair of Leica's, understand that they are at the (not my words) entry level and the fact that they are made in Portugal is irrelevant. But I do appreciate the level of expertise on the forum and before I fire up the motor and drive to a shop to physically handle them I would be grateful for any thoughts.

The Ultravids are sadly out of budget, not on offer and, as this is a heart rather than a head purchase, off the radar.

The magnification differences are well understood. Either is fine

Thank you.

My take is that you are not going to see something with X10 that you are not going to see with X8. So, for me, stability, increased illumination, and ease of view with the X8 win the day, every time. YMMV, of course. Best of luck.

My take is that you are not going to see something with X10 that you are not going to see with X8. So, for me, stability, increased illumination, and ease of view with the X8 win the day, every time. YMMV, of course. Best of luck.
Thank you very much!

Totally agree regarding the magnification in such a small pair of bino's. My lovely 10x25 Nikon HGL's are too 'jumpy' for me now and I suspect that the x10 Trinivod's would be similar. I am off this weekend to try both but I am probably erring on the side of stability rather than magnification.

My 10x42 NL's are fine but I do have the forehead rest fitted which, combined with their size, steadies the view considerably.

Overall, I find the Trinovid HD models, and particularly the x32 ones, well finished and fine binoculars.
In my experience, CA (chromatic aberration) is bit on the high side in the 8x32, and I guess this would be even more the case with the 10x. But perhaps this does not bother you too much.

Minimal focus distance is outstanding (0.95 m).

I would characterize the Trinovid HD as mechanically excellent and optically good binoculars (see a bit more of my take on the 8x32 here: Leica Trinovid 8×32 HD – Binoculars Today)

Canip

Last edited:
Both very nice and have that Leica image quality that so many love. None of the HD’s are near the best in their class when it comes to CA, the 10’s are the worst. The 8x32 is better than the 10x32 for sure on CA. I feel the 8x42 is the best on CA in the lineup. I couldn’t tolerate the CA in the 10’s and I’m a Leica guy. Everything else about the Trinny HD‘s is first class, beautiful , sharp contrasty image and very nice build quality, best in its class in those areas.

I have been offered a brand new pair of x32 Trinivod HD's (either magnification) at a very attractive price and wondered if anyone with experience of them has any pro's and con's that I should be aware of.

I ask because I have never owned a pair of Leica's, understand that they are at the (not my words) entry level and the fact that they are made in Portugal is irrelevant. But I do appreciate the level of expertise on the forum and before I fire up the motor and drive to a shop to physically handle them I would be grateful for any thoughts.

The Ultravids are sadly out of budget, not on offer and, as this is a heart rather than a head purchase, off the radar.

The magnification differences are well understood. Either is fine

Thank you.
There is a much bigger difference imho in the viewing experience between 8x32 and 10x32 of the same brand / model, than the difference between 2 top 8x32 or 2 top 10x32.
If I would have to chose between 8x32 and 10x32, I would personally chose 8x32 as it's more comfortable to view through with more forgiving eye placement and eye relief (but I'm a glass-wearer). I like the aesthetics of the 8x32 Ultravid but unfortunately found them too small for my hands to hold comfortable. Same actually with the 8x32 Zeiss FL. I would much prefer the ergonomics of an 8x32 Zeiss SF or Swarovision due to the open bridge which works very well ergonomically in the x32 format. I haven't tried the SV in that format. So all in all, if the Ultravid feels good, I would go for the 8x32.

Both very nice and have that Leica image quality that so many love. None of the HD’s are near the best in their class when it comes to CA, the 10’s are the worst. The 8x32 is better than the 10x32 for sure on CA. I feel the 8x42 is the best on CA in the lineup. I couldn’t tolerate the CA in the 10’s and I’m a Leica guy. Everything else about the Trinny HD‘s is first class, beautiful , sharp contrasty image and very nice build quality, best in its class in those areas.
Thank you Paul, I will try both but suspect that the 8x will be more suitable. Unfortunately the x42 is not on offer so I am limited to the x32 models.

I will be taking my 8x32 and 10x32 GPO's with me to compare. I am very impressed with them and it will be very interesting to see the differences if any. To be totally honest I think that the lure of the red badge at a very advantageous price is an itch that needs scratching.

There is a much bigger difference imho in the viewing experience between 8x32 and 10x32 of the same brand / model, than the difference between 2 top 8x32 or 2 top 10x32.
If I would have to chose between 8x32 and 10x32, I would personally chose 8x32 as it's more comfortable to view through with more forgiving eye placement and eye relief (but I'm a glass-wearer). I like the aesthetics of the 8x32 Ultravid but unfortunately found them too small for my hands to hold comfortable. Same actually with the 8x32 Zeiss FL. I would much prefer the ergonomics of an 8x32 Zeiss SF or Swarovision due to the open bridge which works very well ergonomically in the x32 format. I haven't tried the SV in that format. So all in all, if the Ultravid feels good, I would go for the 8x32.
Thank you for your reply, I totally agree regarding the differences in magnification. I have the 8 and 10x32 GPO's and much prefer the 8x. I suspect it will be the same with the Trinovids.

The Ultravids would be lovely but sadly they are out of my budget limit.

I tested these very binos recently.
I looked through the Trinovid HD's, Ultravid HD+, and the old Trinovid BN's, and Conquests.
The BN's were noticeably better than the new Trinovids for my eyes, and were surprisingly close to the Ultras.
I walked out with the BN's, which were the cheapest as it happened, although money was not a deciding factor.
The small improvement in the Ultras was not worth the huge increase in price, along with the better (for me) ergonomics of the BN, it sealed the deal.
Whilst I found the new Trinovids good, they lacked the special view that Leicas generally produce. I know others here disagree.
I actually also prefered the Conquests to the Trinnies.
All were 8x32.
Just an opinion.

Temmie, the OP , he was talking about the Trinovid HD, not the UV’s.

Paul

Thank you Paul, I will try both but suspect that the 8x will be more suitable. Unfortunately the x42 is not on offer so I am limited to the x32 models.

I will be taking my 8x32 and 10x32 GPO's with me to compare. I am very impressed with them and it will be very interesting to see the differences if any. To be totally honest I think that the lure of the red badge at a very advantageous price is an itch that needs scratching.
Hmm , the GPO ED’s are nice glass, and both of those may not be far off with CA. Of clurse the Leica entry level is an upper mid level optic and is superior to the GPO ED in most areas. I think you will really like the Trinny HD 8x32 if you like the GPO.

Thank you for your reply, I totally agree regarding the differences in magnification. I have the 8 and 10x32 GPO's and much prefer the 8x. I suspect it will be the same with the Trinovids.

The Ultravids would be lovely but sadly they are out of my budget limit.
yes, apologies for confusing but most of my post applies for the trinovid as well, even though I can’t remember if the trinovids were lacking a bit in the eye relief department (some x32, especially 10s, do so for me but strangely this doesn’t depend on price: some cheap x32 have more eye relief than some expensive ones).
and compared to x42 trinovids and ultravids where I found the trinovids to be very good optically, I found the x32 trinovids a bit lacking, compared to the x32 ultravids…

yes, apologies for confusing but most of my post applies for the trinovid as well, even though I can’t remember if the trinovids were lacking a bit in the eye relief department (some x32, especially 10s, do so for me but strangely this doesn’t depend on price: some cheap x32 have more eye relief than some expensive ones).
and compared to x42 trinovids and ultravids where I found the trinovids to be very good optically, I found the x32 trinovids a bit lacking, compared to the x32 ultravids…
Not at all Temmie, thank you for taking the time to reply. I am going with an open mind regarding the Trinivods and It may be that they will not suit me for various reasons, eye relief and CA being the two major stumbling blocks.

I see that you are in Belgium, I lived in Herentals and Mons and have a deep regard for the country and its glorious beers, especially Westvleteren. Thankfully there is a motorhome area close to the Abdij!

Salut!

Not at all Temmie, thank you for taking the time to reply. I am going with an open mind regarding the Trinivods and It may be that they will not suit me for various reasons, eye relief and CA being the two major stumbling blocks.

I see that you are in Belgium, I lived in Herentals and Mons and have a deep regard for the country and its glorious beers, especially Westvleteren. Thankfully there is a motorhome area close to the Abdij!

Salut!
haha, thanks, I am currently empty-ing St. Bernardus 12, which is technically not very different to Westvleteren (so cheers!).
Eye relief is the major stumbling block for me in almost any 10x32. The 8x32 trinovids should be OK but not the best (for me). As said, I would be very OK to have an 8x42 Trinovid as my only binocular, but I feel the difference between Ultravid and trinovid is a bit more noticeable in the x32 and I wasn't very enthusiastic about the x32 trinovid.

haha, thanks, I am currently empty-ing St. Bernardus 12, which is technically not very different to Westvleteren (so cheers!).
Eye relief is the major stumbling block for me in almost any 10x32. The 8x32 trinovids should be OK but not the best (for me). As said, I would be very OK to have an 8x42 Trinovid as my only binocular, but I feel the difference between Ultravid and trinovid is a bit more noticeable in the x32 and I wasn't very enthusiastic about the x32 trinovid.
Mr 10% eh?!

St B is a truly exceptional beer but a warning should be attached to each label…..”This beer stings and it will affect your ability to talk coherently and walk in a straight line.”

(My Sprinter based motorhome goes into ‘limp mode’ whenever we pass a Trappist Brewery and doesn’t recover for at least 24 hours. We have to park up, stay the night and it would be sacrilegious not to help the poor monks by buying some of their liquid products. At least that is what I tell my beloved).

Thank you to all who took the time to reply, I am very much obliged.

I tried both Trinivods yesterday and thought them lovely but not for me. And I stress the 'me' bit.

I could not get comfortable with the eye relief on both the 8x and the 10x and, as everyone has suggested, CA was evident and particularly so on pylon wires and high contrast roofs. I was a little suprised at the FOV which I thought was narrow on both, more so on the 10x, and it reminded me of my 7x42 Habicht's. But the view was sharp in the centre with a bit of fall off towards the edges but nothing to spoil a very nice view.

So I will not be joining the Red Badge Club......yet.

Some Ultravids were available for testing and they are clearly in a different ball park. The difference in price is, IMHO, worth every penny, cent or whatever. Very, very impressive.

What did strike me was the build quality of both the MIG and MIP models. No difference at all and both built to an exceptionaly high standard albeit the 8x hinge was looser than the 10x probably due to them being demo, and well used, models. Focus was smooth on both.

I took along my (much) cheaper GPO's to compare. Not even close to the Ultravids but, and again this is my eyes, they were neck and neck with the Trinivods optically and their CA control was markedly superior.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply, I am very much obliged.

I tried both Trinivods yesterday and thought them lovely but not for me. And I stress the 'me' bit.

I could not get comfortable with the eye relief on both the 8x and the 10x and, as everyone has suggested, CA was evident and particularly so on pylon wires and high contrast roofs. I was a little suprised at the FOV which I thought was narrow on both, more so on the 10x, and it reminded me of my 7x42 Habicht's. But the view was sharp in the centre with a bit of fall off towards the edges but nothing to spoil a very nice view.

So I will not be joining the Red Badge Club......yet.

Some Ultravids were available for testing and they are clearly in a different ball park. The difference in price is, IMHO, worth every penny, cent or whatever. Very, very impressive.

What did strike me was the build quality of both the MIG and MIP models. No difference at all and both built to an exceptionaly high standard albeit the 8x hinge was looser than the 10x probably due to them being demo, and well used, models. Focus was smooth on both.

I took along my (much) cheaper GPO's to compare. Not even close to the Ultravids but, and again this is my eyes, they were neck and neck with the Trinivods optically and their CA control was markedly superior.
Mate... try a late model 8x32 BN
I was VERY surprised at the performance. I bought them, and they are just superb, including the ergonomics even for my spade sized hands!!!
Build quality is as you would expect... awesome.
Having said that, these were the pinnacle of Leica back in the day. Mine are 18 years old, but when you think Conquests have been around 10 years, there is only an 8 year gap between the top tier (then) Leica BN's and the mid tier Conquests.... so perhaps it's not such a surprise after all.
£500 ish gets you a very nice pair, early £600 gets you mint.
Leica gave mine a full service and seal completely free of charge, with another 12 years warranty left.
Not sure on the eye relief, i don't wear glasses (apart from typing this:ROFLMAO:)
Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back