• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (49 Viewers)

Thinking of going to Cantley beet factory tomorrow for some Waders. Does anyone know if the reception is open on a Sunday; as I understand it birders are expected to obtain a pass before visiting the pools.
Cheers,
Jim.

I'd be interested to know access details for Cantley too. I'd heard about signing in, but I don't know whether that is to access the footpath past the pools shown on OS maps or for a different area.

After the rain stopped I made it down to Whitlingham, where I counted a whopping 94 Egyptian Geese. Also around were a few Common Terns (2 juveniles) and a Linnet. The presumed Red-breasted x Barnacle Goose hybrid is still present with a group of Canada Geese and is rather nice if you like that sort of thing.

A fantastic day for photography at Cley, even though it rained most of the day. Sat in Dauke's hide for 5 hours in the rain and got pictures of green sandpiper, right next to hide, swallow and sandmartin in the rain on the fence wire, a reed warbler on a post! Took a video of the 11 Spoonbills right in front of the hide! Later on at Dauke's again fab views and pics of 2 Arctic Skuas mobbing terns at 7.40pm!!!

Full update on blog with pictures to follow.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
To echo Penny's remarks re photographic opportunities yesterday, here's one of the dramatic cloud formations on offer over Blakeney Church (viewed from Cley).

I await her juvenile Sand Martin with interest (currently 0.5%, I believe).

In addition to birds already mentioned in various places, Curlews were passing through west in ones and twos and there was a dark (wet?) and smallish young (?) Whimbrel for a while.

The amount of rain that fell was prodigious. Does anyone know how to find out the total for the month, so far, and how this compares with other years ?

And here (http://www.weybourneweather.co.uk/), I answer my own question. It seems that we are not far off the average.

Attachments

• 010psesmsm.jpg
    010psesmsm.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 143
To echo Penny's remarks re photographic opportunities yesterday, here's one of the dramatic cloud formations on offer over Blakeney Church (viewed from Cley).

I await her juvenile Sand Martin with interest (currently 0.5%, I believe).

In addition to birds already mentioned in various places, Curlews were passing through west in ones and twos and there was a dark (wet?) and smallish young (?) Whimbrel for a while.

The amount of rain that fell was prodigious. Does anyone know how to find out the total for the month, so far, and how this compares with other years ?

And here (http://www.weybourneweather.co.uk/), I answer my own question. It seems that we are not far off the average.

Stunning photo John, once we moved into evening there really was some marvellous picture opportunities wasnt there.
I echo you point on the sand Martin and I hope it confirms I'm not going mad as I saw an individual that fits Pennys description just the other day but thought it was just a trick of the light.

Visited Cantley Beet factory this morning. Access straightforward. We parked just outside the gates, and obtained a security pass from reception before driving through the plant, to the furthest parking section. We continued on foot, a short hop to the pits. A public footpath does run alongside the river and around the largest pit; used by locals and dogwalkers. You do not need a pass to walk here, but I am guessing if you want to follow any of the smaller dirt tracks that intersect the smaller pits, this is private and you would need a pass. Looking at the signing in book in reception, I was the first person to sign in since early this month. Decent Wader counts have been coming out of Cantley as recently as earlier this week, so either people walk to and from the site, not bothering with a pass, or people who walk to the site see all the good birds on the large pit from the footpath. Quite feasible, as although the rain had increased water levels we did still manage a couple of Common Sandpiper here.
Surlingham was quiet, few juvenile Warblers about and a Moth I can't put a name to; it is on the blog if anyone would care to try.
Cheers,
Jim.

Does anyone know how to find out the total for the month, so far, and how this compares with other years ?

John, I've looked at this website before and wondered why the weather didn't seem to match what was happening here. I also wondered why it says Farnham, Surrey, UK under Weybourne Weather Website. I've just discovered why. Look at their 'About' page and it says "The location of the weather station, in my garden in Weybourne on the outskirts of Farnham ..."!!!

Try this page instead: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weat...=04&MONAT=07&JAHR=2008&ZUGRIFF=____&LEVEL=150

Nigel

Been at work all day, but went to Titchwell RSPB this evening briefly after visiting parents and watched 7 Spoonbills from Parrinder Hide at 8.30pm! and an Adult and a 1st sum. Med. Gull. Tons of waders including hundreds of Knot. Terrible rain and awful light, not like Cley was last night!

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
8 Marsh Harriers in the air at the same time this eve at Strumpshaw Fen plus lots of Swifts , Sedge & Reed Warblers showing well & 1 Grasshopper Warbler herd but not seen

8 Marsh Harriers in the air at the same time this eve at Strumpshaw Fen plus lots of Swifts , Sedge & Reed Warblers showing well & 1 Grasshopper Warbler herd but not seen

Grasshopper not down near the meadow trail by any chance Pete?
Fantastic news on the Harriers, juveniles? Sounds like this years brood have done very well if so!

Fine Norfolk wether

Re: #12389

Thank you, Nigel.

Bit sheepish about this: I'm Surrey !

I, too, wondered weather that might be the case, or why the whether only a few miles along the coast was so different !

Back to square one and on the horns of a dilemma: I can't seem to make this one easily show previous monthly averages (the 'Archive' isn't in user-friendly format).

Attachments

• Norfolk Horn wether.jpg
    Norfolk Horn wether.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Took the dog for a walk on the "carnival field" at Cromer this morning, had 2 guillemots diving close inshore, Sandwich Terns and juv Little Gull, and Curlew and Whimbrel flew by together (curlew looked twice the size) Excellent half hour set me up for my breakfast!!!!

I heard what I thought may be a rather distant 'Gropper' around there last week but couldn't convince myself, may be worth another look. What proportion of the eight birds in the air were from this year, as I was wondering if there is one male that has had two broods with two separate females on the go this year. Cue Les Dawson-type joke about the natural punishment for bigamy being two mother-in-laws....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back