• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (9 Viewers)

You could do a lot worse than Strumpshaw Fen then walking down to buckenham (ask the guys in the reception hide) you should get a really nice range from the two sites. If you get time Titchwell and Cley are the places for the seabirds and waders and if you have family a nice trip to Wells will keep everyone happy. I hope you enjoy our lovely county and let us know how you get on.

Lovely county it is too...

Was quite busy but spent an afternoon at Cley Marshes, highlights for me were...
Spoonbill
Marsh Harrier
Green Sandpiper
Spotted Redshank
Bar and Black tailed Godwits
Avocets (not many in Staffordshire).

A second afternoon was spent visiting some of the Broads hides like Ranworth and Cockshoots where I missed an Osprey by minutes apparently!

Thanks again for your advice
Dean.

Lovely county it is too...

Was quite busy but spent an afternoon at Cley Marshes, highlights for me were...
Spoonbill
Marsh Harrier
Green Sandpiper
Spotted Redshank
Bar and Black tailed Godwits
Avocets (not many in Staffordshire).

A second afternoon was spent visiting some of the Broads hides like Ranworth and Cockshoots where I missed an Osprey by minutes apparently!

Thanks again for your advice
Dean.

The Osprey has been at Ranworth on and off for a month now! Went down on 2nd July but no sign but had been seen 30th June and I think yesterday was most recent? Desperate to see it!

When I lived in Norfolk back in the eighties I don't think I saw a Hobby on more than a couple of occasions. How lucky now that this great bird has become a regular sighting for some in your neck of the woods.

However, I do get to see quite a few nowadays near my home in Lleida, and I would like to show this video to anyone who is not as fortunate as I am!

http://youtu.be/3yAZQexn2J0

Best! And may Norfolk continue prospering on the birding front!
Steve

Hi Steve, fantastic footage, thanks for sharing. My favourite Falcon and doing well in Derbyshire too.

Titchwell July 15th

Today’s highlights

Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh early morning
Knot – 1200 roosting on fresh marsh over high tide
Dunlin – 15 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh
Avocet – 112 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

A wonderful sunny day at Cley and round about!

A fabulous day in Cley and area included Ad. Yellow leg Gull, Med Gull, 10 Spoonbills at NWT hides. 23 Crossbills at Wiveton Downs. Loads of butterflies inc. dozens of Gatekeepers, ringlet, red admiral, comma. Two Silver-washed Fritilliaries and a White Admiral at an undisclosed site.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Sounds like a lovely day Penny!
In regard to your palm oil post, Have you heard of Norfolk soap company? Bit of a plug but my mum makes all the soap and its 100% palm oil free! Worth a look :)

In additional news was in a pretty brutal car crash on Wednesday night so just a heads up to birders travelling on the Holt to Norwich road (B1149) The roundabout at the B1145 (Cawston to Aylsham road) is LETHAL when its damp as its covered in oil, proximity to nearby garage won't help. Also has several hefty pot holes which caused my crash.
Just so all you guys know and can avoid what happened to me! :-C

Sounds like a lovely day Penny!
In regard to your palm oil post, Have you heard of Norfolk soap company? Bit of a plug but my mum makes all the soap and its 100% palm oil free! Worth a look :)

In additional news was in a pretty brutal car crash on Wednesday night so just a heads up to birders travelling on the Holt to Norwich road (B1149) The roundabout at the B1145 (Cawston to Aylsham road) is LETHAL when its damp as its covered in oil, proximity to nearby garage won't help. Also has several hefty pot holes which caused my crash.
Just so all you guys know and can avoid what happened to me! :-C

Sorry to here about your crash , I hope you are ok , how much damage to the car , is it driveable or a write off ,

Hi everyone

Im heading down to the north coast tomorrow and will be staying at Burnham Deepdale. Is there anything worth going to see in the county or any sites worth visiting other than cley and titchwell.

I presume the Honey Buzzards arent around and im sure another rare raptor cannot be mentioned on here.

Many thanks in advance :)

Sorry to here about your crash , I hope you are ok , how much damage to the car , is it driveable or a write off ,

Complete write off. Only had it 7 months as well, birthday present from my parents, absolutely gutted. Insurance company are playing hard ball in terms of its value as well but it will sort out.
Cheers for the support Pete :t:

Hi everyone

Im heading down to the north coast tomorrow and will be staying at Burnham Deepdale. Is there anything worth going to see in the county or any sites worth visiting other than cley and titchwell.

I presume the Honey Buzzards arent around and im sure another rare raptor cannot be mentioned on here.

Many thanks in advance :)

Sites: Strumshaw Fen, Holme, weeting heath, sculthorpe moor, buckingham marshes, hickling broad and many more.
Try all of these if you have time, they are all lovely spots :).
Enjoy your trip.

Titchwell July 16th

Today’s highlights

Black redstart – juv feeding on west bank path @ 08:45 before flying onto brackish marsh
Curlew sandpiper – summer plumage bird on fresh marsh
Green sandpiper – 2 on fresh marsh
Little gull – 1st summer on fresh marsh
Dunlin – 20 on fresh marsh including an early juv
Greenshank – 2 on fresh marsh
Garganey – 1 on fresh marsh
Little ringed plover – 3 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 3 on fresh marsh on and off all day
Crossbill – 4 east over visitor centre

Purple hairstreak - 1 by visitor centre, probably knocked out of the trees by the heavy rain, until the sun came out
Chinese water deer - 4 (3 young) feeding on the southern edge of the fresh marsh

Paul

Thinking of going to Cantley beet factory tomorrow for some Waders. Does anyone know if the reception is open on a Sunday; as I understand it birders are expected to obtain a pass before visiting the pools.
Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back