• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What nest and what bird does it belong too? UK (1 Viewer)

What nest and what bird does it belong to? UK

Hi all

I know about the rules for uploading photos of nests, but trust me I didn't get a look inside or trouble the birds ;)

This was a massive nest in woodland/grassland area. I didn't see any birds arrive at the nest but whilst standing there watching it I noticed some movement so quickly snapped a few photos (montages attached).

Any help appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• nest-001.jpg
    nest-001.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 158
  • nest-002.jpg
    nest-002.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 181
  • nest-003.jpg
    nest-003.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 144
  • nest-004.jpg
    nest-004.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 68
  • nest-005.jpg
    nest-005.jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I see what looks like a Kestrel.

Thanks Gaz :t:

Though it doesn't seem to be enforced, posting guidelines state 'no nests or eggs'.

A

I do understand Andy, but as you see I wasn't interfering with the nest at all. I wasn't looking into it, I didn't take any photos of any eggs or chicks or upsetting any adult birds, and I didn't pinpoint its location.

I just wanted to be able to identify birds nests in the wild :t:

I'm new here, so forgive me but... Isn't that just when you upload to the gallery?? I thought if we uploaded to the forum directly or in a thread, it didn't apply?

What would be the point if this were so, the idea I think, is to prevent disturbance to birds and possibly the promotion of egg collecting.

A

Thanks Gaz :t:

I do understand Andy, but as you see I wasn't interfering with the nest at all. I wasn't looking into it, I didn't take any photos of any eggs or chicks or upsetting any adult birds, and I didn't pinpoint its location.

I just wanted to be able to identify birds nests in the wild :t:

Personally I don't see any problem posting these photos here. They are obviously taken with a long lens...

I'd say it's a Magpie nest with subsequent inhabiting Common Kestrels - shortly before fledging.

Personally I don't see any problem posting these photos here. They are obviously taken with a long lens...

I'd say it's a Magpie nest with subsequent inhabiting Common Kestrels - shortly before fledging.

Well you either stick to posting guidelines which were drawn up for a reason, or you don't.

The problem with photos of nests/eggs is that there are thousands of so-called “wildlife photographers” at loose out there. Some are well-meaning, some are not, most don’t know or care the first thing about nature conservation, and too often nests are abandoned because they get too close. On all websites seriously concerned with wildlife conservation photos of nests and eggs are not allowed. For one photographer who abides to the rules and causes no damage there are ten who don’t care. Posting one photo, even if taken with care and at a distance may pass on the message that spending time around birds’ nests is a legitimate activity. And you can't have a rule saying "all photos taken with a lens shorter than 200mm....". The rule can't be based on an individual's judgement of what causes disturbance and what doesn't, or of what species may be more sensitive. It's just NO pics of nests and eggs full stop. Sorry about the rant. ;)
(any moderators out there who could clarify the issue for all concerned?)

The problem with photos of nests/eggs is that there are thousands of so-called “wildlife photographers” at loose out there. Some are well-meaning, some are not, most don’t know or care the first thing about nature conservation, and too often nests are abandoned because they get too close. On all websites seriously concerned with wildlife conservation photos of nests and eggs are not allowed. For one photographer who abides to the rules and causes no damage there are ten who don’t care. Posting one photo, even if taken with care and at a distance may pass on the message that spending time around birds’ nests is a legitimate activity. And you can't have a rule saying "all photos taken with a lens shorter than 200mm....". The rule can't be based on an individual's judgement of what causes disturbance and what doesn't, or of what species may be more sensitive. It's just NO pics of nests and eggs full stop. Sorry about the rant. ;)
(any moderators out there who could clarify the issue for all concerned?)

You are absolutely correct! I even had one member brag that he climbed a tree to get a closeup pic of a nest and its contents. You could clearly see from the picture that the parent bird was taking off in a blur leaving the youngsters. Not good to encourage and nest images although the ones above seem to be taken from a safe distance, posting them makes a new birder think that it is okay.

Well you either stick to posting guidelines which were drawn up for a reason, or you don't.

You are right Andy and also the others! It's impossible to draw a line which photos of nests are OK and which not. So better stick to the guidelines - NO nests. It is irrelevant whether in this particular case the photos were taken with care. I believe they were that's why I answered but wouldn't do so in the future.

I have read all your comments and decide that - even though I didn't disturb the nest, the birds nor take any intrusive shots of eggs or chicks, and did it all from a fair and safe distance - I will not upload any further images of nests in the future.

If the mods wish to delete this thread then do so as I have no problem with that.

Thanks again for all your input and with help, identification and advice everyone :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back