• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mindo, Ecuador - what is this raptor? (date 22/2/16) (1 Viewer)

lockbreeze926

Scotland
This was years ago, but I found the photo today and remembered that I was never at all clear about this one.

Mindo, Ecuador - heading uphill towards the trails behind the well-known Yellow House accommodation, but not actually in the forest yet, just in the open paddocks with tree-lined margins.

I saw a medium-size raptor-ish bird across the paddock/field from the path I was on, maybe 200m away, but half-concealed in foliage. To my surprise, it left concealment and began to fly at hunting speed across the field in my direction...very much in my direction. As I tracked its flight in the bins, it flew directly towards me and kept going, going, going in a straight line, apparently destined for a collision, until the very last second, as I got into a defensive crouch, when it abruptly pulled out of its hunting path and passed a few feet above me.

I turned to see where it had gone and the answer was - not very far. In fact, it had landed in the trees behind me, just on the other side of the trail I was on. I quickly pointed the camera at what I could see of the perched bird and snapped two shots, both massively blurry and indistinct.

...which is a long-winded back-story as to why this photo is so poxy.

The closest I could get to an ID was Bicoloured Hawk. It's the rufous thighs I focus on.

When I mentioned this to a local guide we were travelling with, she was highly sceptical. On seeing the photo, she was non-committal.

Observations welcomed.
(As for why it flew directly at me from 200m away- weird behaviour for a raptor - I can only guess the baseball hat I was wearing triggered some response. It was forest green with a letter O on it, so might have resembled a parrot in some way?)

Attachments

• Bicoloured Hawk 1-DeNoiseAI-denoise.JPG
    Bicoloured Hawk 1-DeNoiseAI-denoise.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back