• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Muscovy ducks? (1 Viewer)

riverfish

Kernow bys vykken!
Hi all,

The pictured ducks turned up on campus here at Exeter Uni sometime recently. They remind me of the muscovy ducks we had at the farm I lived on when I was younger - but are lacking the wrinkly (for want of a better term) red patch surrounding the eyes, which made me uncertain. Are these just young ones or something else?

- David.

Attachments

• New Ducks - Pair.JPG
    New Ducks - Pair.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 175
I think these are domestic ducks descended from Mallards rather than Muscoveys. Might be a bit of Muscovey in them but definitely a lot of Mallard.

They're domestic Mallards.

I always wondered why Muscovies are so-called when they come from South America - I always thought 'Musco' referred to Moscow?!

Those are again domestic Muscovy x domestic (mallard) duck hybrids, so called mule ducks.
See the tail which is longer and more pointed than in Mallard; and also the pink bill in one bird...

As mule ducks are sterile , they are always 50% (domestic) muscovy /50% (domestic) Mallard. A mule duck can not produce offspring and therefore there can´t be a 3/4 muscovy/ 1/4 mallard.

Last edited:
How long have you been at the Uni? I ask cos I wondered if you had Nightingale on that campus list? I was informed that Nightingale used to frequent or breed in the wooded valley.

I'm six weeks into my third year at Uni. Nightingale is one of the few that I *think* I've seen but either didn't see for long enough to convince myself, or was too far away for me to be sure. As I rarely take the binoculars to campus, the list is probably quite a bit shorter than it should be.

Stonechat, Wood/Willow Warbler, and Meadow Pipit are others that I wasn't sure about, and I never saw the Tawny Owl that I occasionally heard in the first year.

Andrew said:
How long have you been at the Uni? I ask cos I wondered if you had Nightingale on that campus list? I was informed that Nightingale used to frequent or breed in the wooded valley.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back