• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nearly zero activity (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

Until about six weeks ago, I had very high level of activity with a variety of birds. Then, as I mentioned in another post, some sort of bird of prey (might have been a kite) made some appearances; at that point the activity declined quite a bit, but not to zero. Three weeks ago, my wife and I went on a two week vacation; I filled the feeder before we left, but when we came back it was at exactly the same level as when we left. Until a few days ago, there wasn't a single bird. Now, we see a single finch a few times a day but it never stays long.

Can all this be attributed to the raptor -- who, by the way, hasn't been seen in a while? By coincidence, a few other things took place at about the same time

• I switched brands of seed. Had been using Wagner de-shelled sunflower seeds, switched to bulk Royal Wing...but still de-shelled sunflower.
  • We had a storm with 60 mile an hour winds. Maybe it blew apart nests?
  • It was September...maybe the birds just grew up and moved on?
They were a lot of fun to watch, trying to figure out what to do - if anything - that might bring them back.

Thanks!

We are in fall harvest time, and we are in the same area. Right now all the birds are eating the wild berries, nuts, seeds, fruits that freshly available to them. They always prefer food in the wild over our backyard buffets. Take this time to give your feeders a good soaking, and clean your feeding areas.

They will start coming back when the cold fronts start rolling thru the northern areas above us. What I've noticed in the past is that when the birds start coming back, I always get new stuff I havent seen before, or havent seen in a long time. Last fall I started getting a lot of Cedar Waxwings. I get a lot of Warblers too in the fall ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back