• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2003 Year List. (1 Viewer)

203 last year, most of them in Vietnam. Not my best year (1994 = 512), didn't have nearly enough time to go birding.

Just added up my 2003 list and has reached 495. Not my best year, that was 2002 with 703. Not expecting as many this year, might reach the 300's, as I've no firm plans to go anywhere much outside UK except for 6 days on a non-birding trip in southern Spain in February. Might pop down to the Gambia for a couple of weeks in November on a birding photo trip.

Only 53 so far but that does include Bittern, Water Rail, Chiffchaff and Cetti's Warbler. Godd birding to everyone for 2004.

Andy

I managed 291 in 2003 which includes a trip to France in september, its about 230 odd just in the UK.
11 of those were lifers: Waxwing, Lesser White fronted Goose, Water Pipit, Lammergier, Crested Tit, Alpine Accentor, Alpine Chough, Citril Finch, Wallcreeper, Blue-winged Teal and Red-breasted Goose.

Managed 46 so far this year!

22 (count 'em, 22!) lifers in 2003... although that includes a couple promoted from my iffy list to my real list.

As follows...

Redwing, Meadow / Rock / Tree Pipits, Spotted Flycatcher, Tawny Owl, Arctic Tern, Great Skua, Long-eared Owl, Ring Ouzel, Sedge Warbler, Garden Warbler, Merlin, Peregrine, Red Kite, Chough, Bittern, Hawfinch, Redpoll, Great Northern Diver, Turtle Dove, Whitethroat.

Trips to SW Wales and Northumberland came up trumps, getting me 10 lifers between them.

(Gotta say, I don't know how the "Redpoll" sneaked in, I can see that getting relegated again.)

You beat me by 2 I only managed 20 lifers in 2003
Red Necked Grebe
Snow goose
White Fronted goose
Ring Necked Duck
Red Kite
Osprey
Black Grouse
Pomarine skua
Bairds Sandpiper
White Rumped Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Little Auk
Black Guillimot
Turtle Dove
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Shorelark
Hawfinch
Richards Pipit
Melodious Warbler

2004 target birds
Nightingale
woodlark
and possibly stone curlew but we rely on public transport and can,t find a Stone curlew site near a bus route
Good luck for 2004....Get yourself to the coast you know it makes sense!

I managed 23 Lifers in 2003 - (I reckon Black Scoter might be good for a split in the near future tho`)

Lesser White-fronted Goose
American Black Duck
Black Kite
White-tailed Eagle
Baird's Sandpiper
Pomarine Skua
Whiskered Tern
Great Spotted Cuckoo
Long-eared Owl
Alpine Swift
Tawny Pipit
Olive-backed Pipit
Pied Wheatear
Grey-cheeked Thrush
American Robin
Marsh Warbler
Melodious Warbler
Western Bonelli's Warbler
Pallas` Warbler
Isabelline Shrike
Lesser Grey Shrike
Little Bunting
Baltimore Oriole

I had six "lifers" in 2003 here in the USA.
Muscovy Duck - Texas
Groove-billed Ani - Texas
Verdin - Texas
Black Rail - Kansas
Cerulean Warbler - Missouri
Cape May Warbler - Missouri

And two "new for Missouri birds"
King Rail
Sabine's Gull

New birds for me in 2003 were

Melodious Warbler
Richards Pipit
Lesser Yellowlegs
&
Eleonoras Falcon on holiday

Jasonbirder- your Long eared Owl looks Very much out of place in That List...
i thought your home county was the English Leo capital?

Good Luck to all bird listers this year.
Steve

Ha - you`re not kinding Long-eared Owl was that "most embarassing miss" bird (as discussed on another thread) - once i`d seen one though there was no stopping me! Seen plenty since my first...

Black Lark...I`d forgotten about that (how could I?) was going to try and sound sober and say i`d not counted it until it was accepted by the BOU...but truth is I missed it out when I did a count back...

I so wanted to join y'all's club but just tallied up my year list and saw it was a good year, 234. I also had 99 lifers for the year which brought me up to 375.

Here's to more good birding in 2004.

Denis J said:
has anyone got any for 2004 yet..I saw my first ever Hooded Crow over the weekend:mad:) thats 1 to me
Hi Denis,

Where was the Hoodie?

Precious few of them in this area in recent years - so a very good find!

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Denis,

Where was the Hoodie?

Precious few of them in this area in recent years - so a very good find!

Michael

Near Dormans Pool on the Tees Marshes the land fill just south

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back