• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Birding (2 Viewers)

"Dave,I may be way off the mark but 20 seems a very very low number for buzzards nesting. I would of thought the number was probably 2/3 times as many."

Yes, I stand corrected on two counts. I had been thinking breeding yet wrote "nesting" pairs. I have also since looked up the EBR. 9 breeding pairs of Buzzards reported in 2008, 18 in 2010 -- my guess 30 in 2012. This will not be the complete total. I suspect, however, that members will be more inclined to report Buzzards than Kestrels. (Only 56 of the perhaps 1000 pairs were reported.) So the "at least 20" was a tad conservative.

These data, however, reinforce my point. The species is thriving. It requires no conservation support other than the prevention of persecution. Hobby is the Raptor in trouble and needs TLC PDQ.

Dave

Last edited:
Was going to remark about the orsett birds,I know of at least 3 pairs in that area and I suspect that there's probably one or two more.

At least 2 breeding pairs that I know plus the Orsett area birds. One pair I've been watching have fledged 2 chicks successfully in the last two weeks. Good to see.

blackbird secon brood

Our garden blackbird looks like they hatched a second brood last weekend. Nest is so well located I haven't got close enough to see how many. But it looks like they are up against it with the weather. Put the sprinkler on the grass for an hour to try and raise a few worms, but not sure it'll work. Dont have a large garden either with compost heaps or anything.

Anyone have any other ideas or had similar experience?

Steve

an evening out with bitter_bugger (Steve) ............
first at Phyllis currie reserve Gt Leighs yielded very little, 2 (and possibly a third which may have been one of the first 2) green woodpeckers, female mallard & young on lower lake, steve saw a sparrowhawk on his wander through the woods while I sat by the lower lake hoping a kingfisher or even anything would show (it didnt). plenty of song but also plenty of foliage so hard to spot anything.
Then on to the river Ter at Lt leighs (just below the reservoirs) and saw the hobby i.d. by Phil andrews in my request thread
And finally to Hartford End on the River Chelmer and almost immediately saw a kingfisher which flew back again a few minutes later, so finally saw one this evening.

Our garden blackbird looks like they hatched a second brood last weekend. close enough to see how many. But . Put the sprinkler on the grass for an hour to try and raise a few worms, but not sure it'll work. Dont have a large garden either with compost heaps or anything.

Anyone have any other ideas or had similar experience?

Steve

The birds will forage far beyond the confines of your garden and in most localities will find an adequate food supply. It you are concerned, an angling shop can supply live bait, which will be an excellent substitute. In the longer term, you could farm your own maggots using rotten food. Your wife may not, however, be keen on this approach.

Dave

What's the story with the Eleanora's Falcon at abberton 2 question marks on the latest sightings page of their website! it's on the map on here but no RBA alert on here?

What's the story with the Eleanora's Falcon at abberton 2 question marks on the latest sightings page of their website! it's on the map on here but no RBA alert on here?

The observer was Dave Bruce. His comment on the EBS website about the possible Eleanora's Falcon is: "(POSSIBLE NOT DEFINITE!!! Bird seen flying east south-east, while driving near Birch. First assumed to be an inland Peregrine, but more reminiscent of some Eleonora's Did not find bird again after stopping, and looking near Layer De la Haye. N.B. This cannot be taken as a primary observation but may support other independent observations.)"

Stewart

PS I've just noticed that Dave's records are timed at 16.00-16.20, whereas the Birdguides report says "this morning" (and is stated at being at Layer Breton causeway). So, it would appear that these sightings are separate. More information would be interesting!

Last edited:
I am the culprit responsible for the EWBS website entry. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY PRIOR REPORT. Reading this is my first knowledge of the Abberton report. I was not confident of the identification, so did not eport it here. I gave the county recorder, Les Steward a longer, rather rambling and unsatisfactory e-mail. The following is a copy:

"I posted an entry on the EBWS yesterday regarding a possible Eleonora's Falcon. Having composed the entry, I spent at least 10 minutes dithering about whether to send it. Having done so, I am behoven to explain the observation.

Time: Friday July 19, 2013: tea break at Lords so about 16:00.
Circumstances: Driving west along the Colchester to Maldon Road . I was not birding but had one eye open for Buzzards which I often see between Birch and Messing.
Weather: very hot., car windows opened.
Observation: A falcon flying towards me, initially about 100-150 yards away, passing about 40 yards on my left (ie south of me) travelling roughly ESE in a pretty straight line.

Most falcons seen here are Kestrels. This was not. My first thought was Peregrine. The bird was fairly large and was more grey than brown. As it passd I noticed the white "cheek", which supported the identification. The Dengie birds hunt over Old Hall and visit Abberton so Birch would be well within their range. Something, however, seemed wrong with this identification. I just did not look like the Peregrines I am used to seeing. It was the wings. They were too long and narrow, somewhat reminiscent of a Swift. I had seen birds rather like this before; the last time being on Lesvos. Those had been Eleonora's Falcons. After much deliberation I am in doubt as to whether this was such or another Peregrine.

I did not get a good sense either of the length of the body or an accurate assessment of the tail. I also did NOT notice the two tone underwing, which is diagnostic for Eleonora's. I had to keep one eye on the road. Fortunately I was confident that no car was following close behind.

I considered other species and ruled out:
Merlin: Can sometimes look like a large martin in flight but too small and has no white cheeks (also rare in July),
Hobby: Adults have the white cheeks and the dark wing colour but the red vent should have been visible. Juvenile? An outside possibility, if I had assessed the size wrongly.
Kestrel: Completely wrong colour and Jizz
Cuckoo: Reasonable for sizeand shape. The grey phase would be a lighter shade and the wing beats were falcon rather than cuckoo and the white cheeks again.

Sparrowhawk: Wrong colour and wing shape (not considered at the time).

I only saw the bird with the naked eye. Also, after turning the car around, I did not find it again. As I said, the evidence is very thin and, unless other observations come in, it would best be treated as a Peregrine. The reason I finally posted was in the hope of there being other observations. If there are none it is a discard."

The observation, on relection, was a few minutes earlier than the time given on the EBWS website -- using "Test Match Special" as my clock.

The combined obsevations are very far from conclusive. This is not helped by "Birdguides" observations never being attributed to any individual.

At least I do not feel like a complete idiot any more.

Dave

P.S.

Please note that I was trying to be cautious and NOT to send out an irresponsible potential false alarm.

There is another contradiction. My observation was of a bird flying in the approximatre direction of Abberton at 4 pm. Stewart wrote that the Abberton observation was mid-morning. The sequence seems wrong.

I hope the Birdguides observer will either provide his contribution here or by private message. A more detailed submission to Les is, however, the higher priority.

Dave

Dave

I think your report is very far from "long, rather rambling and unsatisfactory". It's very informative and I bet that it is far better than many that Les Steward receives!

Just to clarify: when you submitted your report, were you then aware of the earlier report at Abberton, or did you find out about that later? I'm not making any 'point' by this question - just interested to know.

I don't subscribe to the Essex Yahoo Group, but perhaps someone who is knows more about the earlier observation.

Thank again Dave for the information.

Stewart

Stewart,

Prudent questions. I was unaware of any prior report. I also have a solid alibi in Yorkshire for mid-morning. I did check Birdforum last night. There was no entry either on the map or in the text for rare bird sightings. Your message informed me of its existance.

I was concerned that auto-suggestion had influenced my identification. I have been trying to track down an observation of Eleonora's Falcon, which was supported by photgraphic evidence from the observer's garden in South Essex. I think it was in 2011.

Curiouser and curiouser ... I looked up the same sections a few minutes ago. There is now a red star for an Eleonora's Falcon claimed today but in Hampshire! No text entry so far as I can see. Perhaps a reader who takes the RBA service can check on this and advise the situation.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave - further to this:

The earlier, Layer Breton causeway, sighting was reported on the Abberton Reservoir website. (This was the report that Paul E was referring to when he mentioned the appended "??".) Perhaps, the person who sighted that bird reported it to Abberton Visitors' Centre, and then Birdguides picked it up from there. (Birdguides does 'fish' far and wide for sightings; that it then reports second hand.)

Detective work, eh? Stewart

Dave - further to this:

The earlier, Layer Breton causeway, sighting was reported on the Abberton Reservoir website. (This was the report that Paul E was referring to when he mentioned the appended "??".) Perhaps, the person who sighted that bird reported it to Abberton Visitors' Centre, and then Birdguides picked it up from there. (Birdguides does 'fish' far and wide for sightings; that it then reports second hand.)

Detective work, eh? Stewart

Thanks for the info guys an interesting set of circumstances would be interesting to know more about the abberton sighting!

Stewart/Sherlock,

I think Paul E may be an observer who submits records, including Abberton, to the EBR database each year. If so Liz Huxley can confirm the identity.

Regards,

Watson

Finally got myself down to Abberton this afternoon and caught up with the Osprey, the perch was checked by another birder but with no luck and around 5:15 was checked again with the sight of the Osprey eating a fish, no idea where it came from. Stood and watched it eating the fish for a while when it was joined by two Crows, sadly mum was telling me to hurry up, so I couldn't stay long. I was told that it's been fishing out on the estuary at low tide as well, could be the reason why it disappears for a while. Got a rubbish picture with my phone through someones scope

Attachments

• Camera360_2013_7_20_052421.jpg
    Camera360_2013_7_20_052421.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 85
I think Paul E may be an observer who submits records, including Abberton, to the EBR database each year. If so Liz Huxley can confirm the identity.

I take it that you mean the identity of the person who reported the bird to Abberton Visitor's Centre, not the identity of Paul E! It may be that the people at Abberton do know, but often birders just call in and report sightings (or even just write them on the board). If the latter, the observer may remain anonymous.

As you said earlier, what we need most is not really the identity of the person, but more details of the sighting (description, direction, etc).

Two unconnected sightings in the same day, does begin to suggest that there is an Eleonora's-type Falcon out there. Of course, what can't be ruled out at this stage is that it is not some falconer's hybrid on the loose!

Stewart

While I'm on a roll with this Eleonora's Falcon thing, here are a few things that have emerged from a bit of easy web-based research:

1. Eleonora's Falcon on not at all popular with falconers: perceived as too slow!; and have proclivity for hunting insects (which isn't falconers' 'thing')

2. Of the 54 reports of Eleonora's Falcon on Birdguides since 2000, around 43 are only 'reports of possible', etc. (Note, the remaining 11 sometimes include multiple reports of the same bird.) This must make it one of the least 'likely to be confirmed' species around.

3. A very interesting report of the first accepted record can be found here

Stewart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back