• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2024 (3 Viewers)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Just got back home so thought I’d get this started.

Thanks again to Ollie for setting this up. And good luck to everyone keeping a list this year.

Jan 1st

1. Rook
2. Carrion Crow
3. Jackdaw
4. Collared Dove
5. Wood Pigeon
6. Feral Pigeon/ Rock
7. Goldeneye
8. Blue Tit
9. Robin
10. Starling
11. House Sparrow
12. Dunnock
13. Gadwall
14. Pink footed Goose
15. Greylag Goose
16. Reed Bunting
17. Green Winged Teal
18. Smew
19. Pintail
20. Eurasian Teal
21. Mallard
22. Tufted Duck
23. Mute Swan
24. Wigeon
25. Greater Scaup.
26. Slavonian Grebe
27. Great Crested Grebe
28. Great Tit
29. Long-tailed Tit
30. Coal Tit
31. Blackbird
32. Redwing
33. Fieldfare
34. Song Thrush
35. Long Tailed Duck
36. Common Scoter
37. Dunlin
38. Oystercatcher
39. Common Redshank
40. Purple Sandpiper
41. Turnstone
42. Common Buzzard
43. Yellowhammer
44. Herring Gull
45. Greater Black Backed Gull
46. Black Headed Gull
47. Common Gull
48. Tree Sparrow
49. Pheasant
50. Red Legged Partridge
51. Red Grouse
52. Black Grouse
53. Shag
54. Cormorant
55. Goosander
56. Chaffinch
57. Goldfinch
58. Eider
59. Coot
60. Bullfinch

January 2nd

61. Meadow Pipit
62. Grey Heron
63. Hooded Crow
64. Raven
65. Tystie
66. Great Northern Diver
67. Black Throated Diver
68. Curlew
69. Red Breasted Merganser
70. Tawny Owl
71. Red Kite

Jan 3rd

72. Kestrel
73. Wren
74. Crested Tit
75. Great Grey Shrike
76. Waxwing
77. Siskin
78. Greenfinch

Jan 4th

79. Magpie
80. Nuthatch

Mammals: Roe Deer, Red Deer, Red Squirrel, Grey Squirrel, Bunny, Mountain Hare, Otter, Common Seal. (8)

Herps: 0

Herbs: Rosemary and Thyme😉

A very quiet and sort of relaxing day today. As a result only 4 species added.

81. Jay
82. Lesser Black Backed Gull
83. Canada Goose
84. Stock Dave.

Off out with Owen tomorrow which will hopefully boost the list. We briefly toyed with heading to Essex but the Thrush thread has really put us off. So it looks like Somerset is on the cards.

Brilliant day with Owen. Started at Portbury Wharf before heading to Battery Point, Burnham on Sea, Westhay, Chew Valley Lake and finishing at Cardiff Bay.

Dipped on the Black Redstarts at the bay and Lesser Scaup at Chew. We did find a Greater Scaup there though. Added the following:

85. Black Necked Grebe
86. Lapwing
87. Linnet
88. Northern Shoveller
89. Moorhen
90. Glossy Ibis
91. Great White Egret
92. Little Egret
93. Cettis Warbler
94. Pied Wagtail
95. Avocet
96. Kentish Plover
97. Avocet
98. Grey Plover
99. Ringed Plover
100. Knot
101. Goldcrest
102. Pochard
103. Common Sandpiper
104. Common Snipe
105. Shelduck

107. Dabchick

Attachments

• IMG_6527.jpeg
    IMG_6527.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Quiet day today. Had to get some shopping so took a “little” detour via Cilsan Bridge. Good numbers of Whooper Swans were a couple of fields away downstream. And a Great White Egret flew down the river.

Then this evening Bud and I went over the field. Had a nice view of a Woodcock.

108. Whooper Swan
109. Woodcock

Stopped off on my way to work today and picked up a couple of year ticks.

112. Grey Wagtail
113. Dipper

Had lunch with a colleague at the Bunch of Grapes in Pontypridd. Vegan burger. I’m not vegan, just trying to eat a bit more of a balanced diet. For the first time ever I thought it could pass for the real thing. Absolutely delicious. In fact, I had to check to see they hadn’t made a mistake.

Rich

Went with OH to Gloucester to view a car today. A Renault Zoe. Really quite liked it so might be my primary birding car going forward. I’m no longer on Ruffled Feathers so will post here about its efficiency, or lack of. Charging at public chargers should be interesting.

Anyway. Stopped at Parkend on the way and had great views of Hawfinches. Next it was up to Cannop to year tick Marsh Tit and Mandarin. Now breakfast at Overhill Farm Market - lovely. Can also recommend the veggie samosas and the Stinking Bishop.

After test driving the car the OH didn’t fancy Slimbridge so we went for the Fudge Duck at CWP. Picked up Mistle Thrush (at last!!) on the way over. Dipped on the duck but did pick up 50 or so RCP. CWP has to be one of my least favourite places to go birding. Rubbish views of the ponds and parking can be very difficult. A couple of local birders were good company though.

116. Hawfinch
117. Marsh Tit
118. Mandarin
119. Mistle Thrush
120. Red-crested Pochard

Felt like I neglected the pup a bit yesterday so took him for a walk down the beach and up the lane. The lane really was quite good for birds today. GSW drumming. Nuthatch, Siskin, Jays, good numbers of Redwings, Mistle Thrush, Treecreeper and a Green Woodpecker.

121. Green Woodpecker.

Been looking at a few tariffs for electric cars. Octopus seems a good bet. And we’ve been looking at PodPoint for a home charger. The 5 year guarantee is quite appealing. Also trying to talk my youngest into a trip to Cornwall for the Golden Oriole. Failing miserably at the moment. 😂

Ahhhh. One off the list. Whilst watching the “Lesser” Scaup on Saturday I thought it had a green tinge to its head. I also thought it might be with 2 females. But, infinitely better birders than me had identified it as a Lesser. So down it went as a Lesser. Of course it now appears there was a male Lesser and Greater there. So I strongly believe I was on the Greater.

So I missed the Pallid by 30 minutes this afternoon. And Mrs Griswold has said no chance to going again next weekend. Does she not know there’s a competition this year!!!😂

Did see Peregrine, Great White Egrets, Red Kite, Merlin and Hen Harrier though.

On a different note I picked up the new birding mobile yesterday. Henceforth known as The Electric Mayhem. Averaged 3.9 miles p/kwh yesterday coming home from Gloucester. And over half of that on 70 mph roads. So think that’s ok??? The test will be when I take it to Norfolk. Not that many chargers around North Norfolk according to Zap Map. Certainly not fast chargers.

132. Hen Harrier
133. Merlin

Attachments

• IMG_6572.jpeg
    IMG_6572.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 7
Have lost my voice after the Welsh game. Congratulations to the Scots. Amazing game.

The Zoe went well. Topped up at an InstaVolt charger. Very straightforward but also very expensive. 85p p/kwh. Looking forward to having the home charger fitted.

Went to Penclacwydd. Good to bump into Bernie and Rob. Added the following:

134. Spoonbill
135. Spotted Redshank
136. Ruff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back