• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Snake Eagle: Brown or Black-chested Kenya Summer (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Good morning. This should be easy enough, but I am stuck and would love to know for sure. Anyone positive ?
Thank you in advance, Ugolino

Attachments

• Black-chested Snake Eagle (immature) KEN 0002.JPG
    Black-chested Snake Eagle (immature) KEN 0002.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 132
I agree with Tom, the new inner primary makes this bird a Black-chested.
Actually imm Brown snake-eagle is quite different and shouldn't cause any trouble. The real problem with those birds is to eliminate imm Short-toed/Beaudouin's.

If you have further images of this bird to propose, I would be very gratefull if you could post them on this thread.

Interesting indeed as everything you all said send me back to my original conclusion at the time....It's only recently that I had started doubting it.

I am posting for TIB a photo of same bird after and before take off. I had chosen the "flying off" one as one could see the bird better

I also post a different bird (Photo 3) which I saw this April in Ouganda and that I have identified as Short-toed but now the old thread which you kindly indicated made me have doubt..... if they are so rare...

Finally, I post a photo of a 3rd troublesome bird (Photo 4, also taken this April in Ouganda) which I have called Western Banded after days of being undecided...and probably am wrong about !

All comments appreciated... Apologies for poor quality as I do not seem to get the compression to the max allowed... Is there a trick I am unfamiliar with as it seems to cut in half further any compression already made on Outlook ?

thanks, Ugolino

Attachments

• Black-chested Snake Eagle (immature) KEN 0005.JPG
    Black-chested Snake Eagle (immature) KEN 0005.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Black-chested Snake Eagle (immature) KEN 9993.JPG
    Black-chested Snake Eagle (immature) KEN 9993.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Short-toed Eagle UGA.JPG
    Short-toed Eagle UGA.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Western banded Snake Eagle UGA 2746.JPG
    Western banded Snake Eagle UGA 2746.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 65
@ picture 3: the very fine barring on the chest and belly makes this a Beaudouin's Snake Eagle
@ picture 4: good luck for that one! Any other picture available, are there any feathered tarsi visible here?
I am using photoshop, first crop as much as possible only leaving the bird and by saving it using the appropriate jpeg-compression

Thank you Tconzemi, but my East African guide does not list Beaudouin's, and it appears that Beaudouin's is mostly West Afriacan.
could i have seen a vagrant ?

Re the 4th photo, which I call temporarily Western banded, here are 2 close up of same bird...could not make it move and could not get in better position, so they alla re 3/4 views, apologies, but THANK you for your opinion...trying to get them right.

Ugolino

Attachments

• Western banded Snake Eagle UGA 2746.JPG
    Western banded Snake Eagle UGA 2746.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Western banded Snake Eagle UGA 2755.JPG
    Western banded Snake Eagle UGA 2755.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 67
Thank you Tconzemi, but my East African guide does not list Beaudouin's, and it appears that Beaudouin's is mostly West Afriacan.
could i have seen a vagrant ?

Re the 4th photo, which I call temporarily Western banded, here are 2 close up of same bird...could not make it move and could not get in better position, so they alla re 3/4 views, apologies, but THANK you for your opinion...trying to get them right.

Ugolino

Africanbirdclub lists BSE as migrant and STE as vagrant
@4 definitely a Snake Eagle with these talons, looks good for Western banded but I am not familiar with that one

Many thanks for the extra images! They will help me in the future.

And Tom is right about your 2 last birds: Beaudouin's (once lumped with Short-toed eagle, that's probably why it's not listed in your field guide) which is indeed a good bird for Uganda; and Western banded snake-eagle (note the very short tarsi and toes, typical of the Banded snake-eagles).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back