• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cobalt-winged Parakeet or Blue-winged Parrotlet from Peru. (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
9 June 2019. Rio Amazonas, Iquitos, Peru.

There is a dispute about these birds. Are they Cobalt-winged Parakeets or Blue-winged Parrotlets? These are unedited crops. Shape seems more like a parrotlet, but I think I see an orange chin in some of these photos. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5366.jpg
    IMG_5366.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5372.jpg
    IMG_5372.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 16
Forpus for me too- the blocky head, no necked look, smaller bill, and shorter tail all give this impression over Brotogeris. Even though Cobalt-winged is very short tailed for a Brotogeris, Forpus are still shorter tailed, even more compact, and have a smaller bill that appears more buried in the face.

I checked some images online and I think the tail should be longer in the parakeet. Those images also showed a more prominent orange chin

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back