• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Better than Zeiss Conquest HD? (1 Viewer)

I would`nt worry, I`v bought a good few items from Steve Rogers and never had any issues.

I was in there a few years back and he asked me to look through a new pair of 7x42 FL`s he felt were a bit off, we both thought the collimation was wrong so he sent them back to Zeiss.

I`m confident he checks over every item.
That's good to know. Thanks.

The SLCs arrived today. Initial thoughts...

The connection and adjustment of the neck strap is so much better that the Conquest HD, which are a real faff (we are now thinking about buying an aftermarket strap to fit to the Conquests).

The carry bag is nicer, in my wife's opinion, although the Conquests have a fold over top and clip (rather than a zip) which prove to be more waterproof and less likely to fail?

The lens covers are much better, especially the objective lens covers. Setting the diopter adjustment is also much better with the SLC than the Conquests.

However, the focus wheel on the SLC is a bit viable with the the amount of effort to focus not being consistent. The Conquest is smooth and consistent all times. The thumb indents underneath on SLC are not useful for me as the barrels are so close together (short IPD), I can't get both thumbs in the indents.

We weighed the binoculars with neck strap and lens covers. The SLCs came in at 931g while the Conquests were 880g, so 50g lighter than the SLCs.

To our unsophisticated eyes, there's very little to choose between the views through the binoculars. Both offer very good bright and sharp views. However, the Conquests can focus closer than the SLCs.

So, are the SLCs (£1200) worth the extra £300 more than Conquests (£900)? Maybe, depending on the value you place on the better neck strap, objective lens covers and carry bag. Also, I'm expecting better customer service should something go wrong....and I'm a little worried about the focus wheel consistency issue, so that service may be tested sooner than I would like.

However, from a purely optical perspective, I would say the SLCs are not worth the extra money (although I reserve the right to change my mind). I am sure a more discerning binocular owner would disagree. Clearly, I bought my pair for same price as a new pair of Conquests so, assuming the focusing issue can be sorted, I will be pleased.

Wow I did not realize that the Conquest 8X42 cost 900 pounds? And why can't Swaro design a focus wheel like Nikon or Leica.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Wow I did not realize that the Conquest 8X42 cost 900 pounds? And why can't Swaro design a focus wheel like Nikon or Leica.

Andy W.

I think Swarovski finally has that focus wheel on their new CL Companion 8/10x30 B. The focus wheel on my 8x30 is smooth as silk!:t:

Bob

The SLC...
Just use it some. The focus adjustment DOES have a different feel to a Conquest HD. Optics of the SLC ARE very close to the best available. Seriously. The FOV will be greater with the SLC(8X42 vs. 8X42). The focused image will be all in focus closer to the edge of the FOV.

Spend some time with it, go birding, etc. I think you'll like it.

SW Optics have reassured me that mine were tested before dispatch and are fine. However, they also offered to take them back to submit them to Swarovski for a check over and service, specifically looking at the focus, if that's what I wanted.

PJ Chuck offers good advice, you may need time to adapt to the focus on the SLC, are you experiencing a bit more resistance clockwise than counter clockwise ?, if so this is perfectly normal with Swarovski, they put a spring in there to prevent the diopter creeping when turning the focus.

Swarovski have been using this integrated focus diopter wheel for many years now, and I`v never come across a single report of the diopter moving off its setting, which is more than can be said of competitors using the same idea.

If however its coarse or gritty it may need time to bed in, as I think it uses a greaseless system.

The Conquest's HD are very good but as Chuck says the SLC's are really about as good as binoculars get. It will take some glassing time to appreciate the differences but look for differences in contrast and lack of aberrations in the view. Meaning the SLC's will seem a little more like there is no glass between you and the bird and they will have a little better contrast.

I think indications are that Swarovski has the best customer service for premier glass, at least according to owners here on the forum, but between the bridge, the focus mechanism on the ones I have tried at Cabelas, and the price, I will stick to Leica, Zeiss and Nikon for now, they provide great optics, and for the extra $$$, the optics are not worth it to me.

Andy W.

My 8x32 EL's also have a different tension on the focus depending on the direction. Its a minor thing, but I do prefer the smoother, un-biased, focus of some other bins I own, including an 8x42 Conquest. These ergonomic factors, including weight, actually do contribute a great deal to one's personal preferences, if the optics are close in character/quality. I would spend a little time looking at the more hair splitting comparisons, such as FOV, CA, Glare suppression, etc. and really try to suss out whether you can really see a difference, and if so, does it necessarily tilt the scales one way or another. Only you can decide. And it doesn't have to be an either/or issue. You can just welcome another good/but slightly different binocular into your world. At a certain point, you just want to enjoy them, put them to work.
You're getting a very good binocular, but you already have a very good binocular.

Swarovski also stands by their product, answers the phone, and repairs the binoculars, which they've done for me. I'm not saying the others don't, as I've only had to repair the one.

At a certain level of quality its a ford/chevy or Gibson/Fender sort of issue regarding which one you might prefer, imho. The price is less of a factor, meaning that you might prefer something that costs less, for all sorts of reasons. There's no guarantee the most expensive one is the best fit for you, or that its 'measurable' optical superiority, if any, will be glaringly evident to your eyes. Put the new ones in the mix and see how they do after a few days in the field.

-Bill

Last edited:
"At a certain level of quality its a ford/chevy or Gibson/Fender sort of issue"

very true Bill, I do agree.

P.S. We need some sun here in the southeast Pa. and Northwest Delaware.

"At a certain level of quality its a ford/chevy or Gibson/Fender sort of issue"

very true Bill, I do agree.

P.S. We need some sun here in the southeast Pa. and Northwest Delaware.

I was going to go into some guitar nerd comparison lingo, but held back.

Its true, we've been hogging the sun for a few weeks, however, we're getting some high altitude clouds today, and rain is due soon, according to the forecast.

I hope you do get some sun soon. Less CA 'stress' on the optics/eyes, and the birds do look good with a cast shadow and some warm light on 'em.

-Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back