• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens and monopod supports (1 Viewer)

i321587

Hi

I use a Canon 7d attached to a Sigma 150-500 lens. I normally carry it using a Blackrapid shoulder support attached to the tripod bush of the Sigma collar which balances nicely when hanging by my side when not in use and leaves my hands free to use binoculars.

I would also like to be able to have the option of attaching a monopod. Obviously I could use the camera's own tripod bush but I'm a bit worried about the unsupported weight of the lens on the camera mount (I seem to remember this being discussed on the form in the past). Ideally I would like to attach the monopod to the Sigma collar but keep the Blackrapid support in place for added security just in case I dropped everything.

Does anyone know of an adaptor which could be attached to the Sigma collar bush and then allow the monopod and Blackrapid to be attached.

Any other suggestions to solve the problem would be welcome.

Thanks.

Tony

Did something along that line Tony. Used a large, substantial perforated washer or shim with a hole drilled at edge. 3/8 stud of monopod then engages tripod foot of lens with shim "screwed" between. Use a stainless D-ring slipped through drilled hole to attach shoulder strap. Carries very nice, cross-belt style over shoulder with rig at hip. Entire rig inverted, monopod collapsed, is held verticle snuggly against back where snagging trailside hazards is at minimum.

Dont trust 1/4-20 studs to begin with. Adding above could increase moment of inertia with jostling of movment enough to shear off smaller stud, leading to disaster.

When using (relatively) lighter lenses I simply screw my Gitzo GM 2541 to the tripod foot and just sling it over my shoulder when moving about. This is quite secure enough for my 300 F4 IS + 1D4 - about 2.6 Kilo. With my 600 F4 IS + 1 D4 (nearly 7 kilos!) I use a Sirui 424 monopod in similar fashion but my shoulder hurts a LOT more! I tried camera, Lens and foot mounted straps but they were causing more problems than they solved for me. The straps generally got in the way and on occasion almost caused me to drop my gear - not fun with a 600 attached to your neck!
I have not tried the BlackRapid system yet but, so far, I prefer no straps for the big stuff though I always use a camera strap when using my lighter lenses.
Just my 2p.

Some of the Black Rapid knock offs (i.e. Quick Rapid) available on ebay come with coupling plates that allow tripod mounting. They have a much larger footprint than the original BR connector, but I actually prefer this style on the larger lenses.
Another option would be to attach a miniature bean bag to the monopod head and only rest the lens on it while shooting, but I would look into the option of getting one of those plates mentioned above.

Ulli

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back