• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few more mystery nocturnal calls - 29th July (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
A few more mystery recordings from my nocmigging a few weeks ago.

One I'm almost certain is Common Sand, one sounds like House Martin (I think) but it's at 11pm which is an unusual time for House Martin to be calling as far as I know. 29-07-19_017 and 018 are Moorhen I think. If anyone can identify (or even hear) the bird in the other one well done to you!

Thanks,
Louis

Attachments

• 29-07-19_011.wav
    2.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 29-07-19_018.wav
    465.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 29-07-19_017.wav
    627 KB · Views: 29
  • 29-07-19_house_martin.wav
    237.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 29-07-19_common_sandpiper.wav
    485.6 KB · Views: 27
One more

One more from two days later. I'm pretty sure I've recorded this bird or some of its mates 4 times in 45 minutes (and I'm yet to analyse the rest of the recording). Any ideas? I think I thought Coot when I first researched this recording.

Thanks once again,
Louis

Attachments

• 31-07-19_002.wav
    465.4 KB · Views: 28
I'm sorry that some of you couldn't listen to the recordings. I've now attached all the files converted to mp3 files.

I agree, they are short recordings but all the 'good' stuff I've recorded so far have only called once. I wonder if it's because my house blocks some of the calls (that seems unlikely most of the sky can be seen from where my setup is) or because my parabolic microphone is too good at its job so it is only picking up sounds from a very small section of the sky. Of course, it could just be that so far the birds have only called once or some other reason. I can make out some distinctive calls on the one labelled Common Sand and the call in my second post though. It's a shame the first recording is so quiet, as what I can make out sounds 'interesting'.

Thanks once again,
Louis

Attachments

• 29-07-19_011.mp3
    209.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 29-07-19_017.mp3
    58 KB · Views: 5
  • 29-07-19_018.mp3
    43.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 29-07-19_common_sandpiper.mp3
    44.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 29-07-19_house_martin.mp3
    22.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the help! I was quite surprised when I came across what sounded like a House Martin at around 11pm but I guess it's not too surprising considering there's a nest across the road. It's interesting that you suggest Ruff for #2 and #3 as I agree, it does sound similar. However, when I look at the sonogram Moorhen looks like a much better fit. I say Coot for #6 because someone told me something along the lines of this the other day: "If you don't know what it is, it's probably a Coot".

Thanks once again,
Louis

However, when I look at the sonogram Moorhen looks like a much better fit. I say Coot for #6 because someone told me something along the lines of this the other day: "If you don't know what it is, it's probably a Coot".
Must admit, I didn't think of Moorhen - it's easy to forget they are often migratory, and migrate at night. Somehow one just doesn't expect Rallidae species to be going over calling in the dark.

The quote is from Bill Oddie, but he used it of Great Tits - "if you hear something, and you don't know what it is, it's a Great Tit". Could apply to Coot as well though!

Ah yes, I read/heard a quote linking into Bill Oddie's which went something along the lines of "a Coot is a nocmigger's Great Tit". I can't find the source though (maybe it was in conversation with someone recently). I certainly didn't know that Rallidae migrate at night until I looked at a call guide for nocmigging.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back