• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

using a zoom lens for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Imace

I use a screw fit adapter on my scope to attach my nikon 995. I have bought a Canon 400D and want to try digiscoping with it. I have thought of using the lens that came with the camera 18-55mm but if i screw the whole lot to the scope surely the camera will turn when the AF focuses on subject. Even MF will mean you will need to turn the camera. What do you do to use a DSLR for digiscoping.
Thanks
Ian

Ian,
People digiscoping using a DSLR are using a 50 mm lens (or Pentax 43 mm ) switched to manual so the lens doesn't turn. They only focus the scope. I have managed to get some AF with my Nikon 18 - 55 mm on my D2x around the 25 mm mark (no vignetting) in bright light . I was hand holding the camera to the eyepiece.
Try a test in your garden . Setup the scope on the tripod next to a table and set the camera on the table, aligned to the eyepiece. Try AF at various zoom positions and see what you get. You will get better results though with a fixed 50 mm lens. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back