• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat - White-tailed or Siberian? (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

It's not often I'm stumped for an ID, but female/immature Stonechats are tricky.

This little sweetie dropped in today on the ship off the coast of Myanmar.

I believe it is either a juvenile White-tailed Stonechat or 2nd cal yr Siberian Stonechat.

Any opinions gratefully received from people with experience of these closely related species

Cheers

Sean Minns

Attachments

• Stonechat 1.jpg
    Stonechat 1.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Stonechat 4.jpg
    Stonechat 4.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Stonechat2.jpg
    Stonechat2.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Stonechat 3.jpg
    Stonechat 3.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 61
IMO a female Siberian Stonechat on account of a combination of well-marked super, streaked upper parts, extensive peachy-buff rump/lower back and overall warm plumage tones. Also the pp too long for White-tailed.

Thanks Graham

I felt the super and the rump were better for Siberian. The pp is something I hadn't known.

Regards

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back