• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID. Central Texas. Heron? Babies. (1 Viewer)

graniteguy

These babies are in a tree above my driveway. They are dropping small fish down on to my driveway. I have not seen a momma and I have not seen a nest. They are significantly larger than a full grown whitewinged dove, yet it is obvious they are babies. There are three of them that I have seen. I am in Central Texas, no where near the ocean. Anyone up for the challenge?

This shows the back side as well as the beak. the beak is under the branch:

hpim1057.jpg

Here is another:
hpim1071.jpg

Hi, graniteguy! A warm welcome to you from all of us here on staff at BirdForum.

Can't help you with your ID but it looks like it could possibly be some kind of heron. Have to let the experts wrangle with this one. ;)

EDIT: Duh, I just saw "heron" in your post title. Jeez, must be too late to be on BF! LOL!

Last edited:
Thanks. I wonder if anyone else has had dead fish showing up on their driveway? I thought some neighborhood kids were pranking me. Then I had about a 4 ft diameter "dropzone" show up on the driveway. I looked up and saw these cute little critters up there. I sat outside off and on hoping momma would show up but no luck. The wife and I feel pretty special as this is not a normal bird for our yard.

Welcome to BF!

They look like some kind of small Bittern/Heron.Perhaps Green Heron.But I don't know much about US birds

Best of luck!

Dimitris

The green heron may be it. It definately is in my area according to the book I have. I may have seen momma fly off this morning. It was very brief and the tree canopies cut the view. A large bird (not great blue heron large) was flying off. It was kind of "not gracefull" as it flew off. I only saw it for a brief second.
I got some more pics. It shows neck fully extended, one perching, and one is out of the shade to show a hint of color:

hpim1072.jpg

hpim1073.jpg

hpim1074.jpg

hpim1075.jpg

hpim1076.jpg

Late breaking news. Momma came by just now. I didn't have time to get the camera but you guys were definately correct. Green Heron it is.

I also have a red headed woodpecker nesting in my backyard. She has a 3" hole in a half dead tree (glad I never cut it down). I can walk up and here the babies crying inside. Momma comes every few minutes with fresh bugs.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back