• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 300mm 2.8 mk 1 or mk2 (1 Viewer)

I would not want to use a 500 f4 on a Manfrotto 055... It really isn't strong or stable enough.
I agree, I also used a 055 for years but when I got the 300/2.8 I changed to a Feisol 3372 CF Tripod and it was miles better even for the lightweight 300 - A decent gimbal head is also a must IMHO.

Ok So I bought the Gitzo 3530LS too but I made do with the Manfrotto for at least a year or so . You can't always just go out and buy everything at once and the 055 is quite a capable tripod ( will take 7KG) and which can be purchased at a budget price second hand.

I agree, I also used a 055 for years but when I got the 300/2.8 I changed to a Feisol 3372 CF Tripod and it was miles better even for the lightweight 300 - A decent gimbal head is also a must IMHO.

I've seen your Feisol Roy and it's a cracking tripod. I nearly got one myself but a friend found a cheap second hand Gitzo.

I think I've changed my mind and am gonna try and get a good 500mm f4. It seems to have a lot of advantages Reach, Weight and seems to be less expensive than going for a 400mm 2.8. That's it mind made up now for the hunt.

You won't be disappointed.The 500mm is the not the best in any one thing other than probably the best all rounder. Keep looking and you should find a very good example for around the £4k mark.

Have decided to go for the 300mm 2.8 ii as one came up second hand virtually brand new and I ain't getting any younger so easier to cart about. Now to get out and take some pics.

Have decided to go for the 300mm 2.8 ii as one came up second hand virtually brand new and I ain't getting any younger so easier to cart about. Now to get out and take some pics.
You did well to find a used 300/2.8 MkII, I have not seen a single one for sale yet - ENJOY:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back