• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another 'newbie' (1 Viewer)

c250td

Hello all, another newbie signing in- well two actually. We (the good lady and I) have recently moved from deepest S. Derbyshire to near Freiston Shore on the Wash. We've been casual birders for a while but are now in a position to spend more time at it, so here we are.
I've recently bought a new (to me) scope from a fellow birdfourum member who also pointed me your way, thank you Susan Mackenzie for both!
I've already put out a wanted call for an eyepiece- and had answer, so I'm getting my money's worth !
I'm in a wheelchair so that cramps my style a bit; marsh access is a bit more difficult, but hey, who said life was going to be easy anyway?
We've had a real treat already since we arrived; two different harriers using the net over the pond as a trampoline and bathing aid. To the best of our ability we identified them as a female and a juvenile Montague's- but you'll have to take our word for that.
As well as the TSN-4, Susan sold me an adaptor an release for my coolpix 4500; something else you'll be able to help me get to grips with!
Well, that's enough for now, we hope to learn a lot from this megasite. cheers!
dave & adi

Hi Dave and Adi,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators, welcome to Bird Forum :t:

I hope you like what you've seen of the site. You've certainly come to the right place for all aspects of bird watching and in particular for digiscoping advice once you combine your camera and scope. I've learnt lots from Andy Bright's Digiscoping Forum and have Andy to thank for getting me off to a good start in that direction earlier this year. If you're interested we may even have a weekend of expert guidance and tuition in the offing. We have a great bunch of people as members all willing to offer advice and assistance.

Congratulations on having the harriers visiting your garden. I'm sure that will leave many members green with envy, certainly this one at any rate.

I hope to see you around the site.

Hello Dave and Adi

Welcome to the BF. What part of Derbyshire did you live in? I live in Belper myself, a fantastic part of the country...as is where you've moved to.

Billy Boy

Where we lived

Hi Billy Boy, we lived in Shardlow, near the Dog and Duck if you know that neck of the woods. Not as pretty as Belper, but handy for the gravel pits.

dave

Hi Dave and Adi,welcome to the forum.weused to live in nottingham and spent many happy hours in eastwood at the bikers pub.I use a trike due to mobility probs,but can pack all my birding stuff in in the basket,Im' sure you will have a great time here.it is very addictive,and very very helpful.
Cheers,Christine.

Welcome, Dave and Adi! You've certainly come to the right place -- the forum is chock full of friendly and knowledgeable people willing to share.

And we were ALL newbies at one time or another! :)

We'd love to have the both of you join in the GGBC 2 -- our Great Global Bird Count. It's a fun event for BF members and non-members, and it's done on your own terms -- bird wherever you want, for as long as you want within a 96-hour period. Just submit a report -- and we'll even tell you exactly how to do that!

You can find full details on the Member's Notice Board.

Again, welcome!

Hello Dave & Adi

I don't know that neck of the woods that well but my partner does. She even knows the pub in question...mind you, I don't think there's a pub in Derbyshire she doesn't know. B :)

Billy Boy

hello Billy Boy, your better half will probably know that we had EIGHT pubs in that village! Now we have ONE and I CAN'T GET TO THE B***** TOILET IN IT. Useful or what?

dave:-C

Hi Dave and Adi,

Welcome to Bird Forum, I live in Boston and have been familiar with Freiston shore for more years that I care to remember, both for wildfowling and birdwatching. I am often at the reserve and hope to come accross you, I will wear my Bird Forum hat. Hope you enjoy your time on this addictive forum.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
I'll keep my eye out for the hat, John. You will recognise the wife- she's the one pushing the wheelchair!:t:
dave

Hi Dave and Adi. Great to have both of you join us on the best bird forum on the net. Enjoy yourselves. All the best John.:t:

Think we need you two in our BF pub, The Drunken Bustard!

... it's floating around on a thread or two somewhere here....

Now where'd I set my drink?.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back