• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Fukuoka, Japan (1 Viewer)

Just a novice here.

Last year I remembered my father's binoculars from when we went camping some 25 years ago, and decided to get a pair for myself on a whim.
Since then I've used them to look at lots of different things over here in Japan, but I seem to be awakening to an interest in birds.
I hadn't seen too many very interesting birds in the first months since I purchased my binoculars (not actively birding, just having the binoculars with me all the time and using them when there were birds around). I then took a trip to New Zealand where I saw some lovely birds; oystercatchers, tuis, the eastern rosella, and some others, again, without actively birding, just during my trip. And my Kiwi friend over there borrowed my binoculars and has since purchased a pair of his own and started up his own birding hobby.

A few weeks ago my girlfriend and I randomly encountered a beautiful kingfisher in a canal near her house. We watched it dive, catch fish, return to its perch, and repeat the process several times. This brought me some real joy that made me think this could become a serious hobby for me (and I already have many hobbies). With that said, we were just on our way back from having lunch, so it was sheer luck and I was glad to have my binoculars (a small 8x20 pair) in my bag.

Last weekend we went to a hot spring and I spotted 2 grey wagtails and a brown dipper together in a nearby mountain stream. I was just as elated as with the kingfisher.

Anyway, although I am a rank novice, I hope to take advantage of the valuable resource this website provides. Thank you.

James

Welcome to BF.
Japan is a great place to see birds, I've visited 3 times. Great place to buy binoculars too, I got my Nikon HGLs there cheap.
Look out for Crested Kingfisher on those mountain streams, a very cool and special bird. 😃👍🐦🐦

Hi James and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of birding. This hobby sneaks up on you and then never lets go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back