• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (7 Viewers)

Barn Owl performing well this evening - a crow forced it to land in the reedbed.

Just seen it catch and eat a vole.

Last edited:
record photos of the Barn Owl this evening flying away from the screened area, couldn't believe how close it was at its first sighting.|:d|

Attachments

• IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 61
Male Firecrest just west of Salwarpe village in plantation along 'Monarch's Way' - follow canal from Salwarpe towards Ladywood for a couple of hundred yards then branch off to right opposite the brick wall on opposite side of canal. The bird is showing well and singing just off path by mature oak tree.

An excellent weekend. As well as the 3 year ticks of Barn Owl, Stonechat and Firecrest, other birds seen included:

Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Grey wagtails
Goldcrests
Yellowhammers (25+ still at Copcut Rise - though, sadly, not for much longer!)
Coal Tits
Meadow Pipits
Skylarks
Buzzards
2+ Kestrels
Sparrowhawk
Green and great Spotted Woodpeckers
Mistle Thrushes
Ravens displaying
Stock Doves
singing Redwings
Fieldfares
Reed Buntings
Water Rails
11 linnets
etc.

Will be interesting to see if the new cleared and bare scraped areas on Copcut attract any ground nesting species like lapwing, and dare I even suggest Little Ringed plover. The latter is proving to be a problem to a certain large car manufacturer who has a new engine plant on the M54, similar scenario - large expanses of bare land stripped for development.

Saw a large flock of fieldfare in trees down new Chawson Lane this morning.

Will be interesting to see if the new cleared and bare scraped areas on Copcut attract any ground nesting species like lapwing, and dare I even suggest Little Ringed plover. The latter is proving to be a problem to a certain large car manufacturer who has a new engine plant on the M54, similar scenario - large expanses of bare land stripped for development.

I thought the same - LRP's and Lapwings nested on the Stonebridge Cross industrial estate (by Wiseman's Dairy) near Droitwich during the construction phase. I will be monitoring the Copcut area for evidence (although the public footpath is officially closed)

Last edited:
Very happy man reporting tonight, Firecrest around the same area as seen yesterday about the same time, took close to 50 photos just to get these 4,bird very active but showing well for 10 to 15 mins.
will try and close in on pics later

Attachments

• IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    783.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    586.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0519.JPG
    IMG_0519.JPG
    844.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0520.JPG
    IMG_0520.JPG
    879.9 KB · Views: 59
have closed in on photos that's all,you are right Dave it is a little BEAUTY

Attachments

• IMG_0517 (2).JPG
    IMG_0517 (2).JPG
    613.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0518 (2).JPG
    IMG_0518 (2).JPG
    440 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0519 (2).JPG
    IMG_0519 (2).JPG
    488.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0520 (2).JPG
    IMG_0520 (2).JPG
    556.2 KB · Views: 64

I reported hundreds of Lapwing around Four Ashes recently so hopefully some might stray over to the M54 site.......

Brian Stretch had a singing Chiffchaff yesterday near Salwarpe - almost definitely a fresh migrant as there have been no records on the patch since late December.

The Firecrest was reported again today in the same place (per Worcesterbirding).

I see on Worcestesterbirding that a Swallow was reported at Salwarpe yesterday (12th March) - something to look for tomorrow.

three interesting evenings,finishing with a female Tawny Owl calling tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG
    465.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0546.JPG
    IMG_0546.JPG
    506.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    604.1 KB · Views: 82
more interest

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0557.JPG
    IMG_0557.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    389.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0568.JPG
    IMG_0568.JPG
    274 KB · Views: 73
Signs of spring!

8 singing Chiffchaffs on the patch yesterday plus a couple of non-singers. Only 3 singing birds noted on Saturday morning.

A Greylag (patch year tick) was on Tapenhall fishing pool on Saturday - a Canada Goose was trying to drown it!

Other birds noted:

Tufted Duck at Porter's Mill
Snipe at Copcut rise
Kestrels
Mute Swans
Buzzards
Coot at Tapenhall
Herons
Kingfishers
Grey Wagtails
Several large flocks of Starlings
Yellowhammers at Copcut, Salwarpe and Tapenhall
20-odd Stock Doves at Copcut Rise
Goldcrests
Linnets
Meadow Pipits
Winter thrushes
Mistle Thrushes
Green and Great Spots
Nuthatch at Harford Hill Cottage
Coal Tits
Water Rails
Jays

Spent a while (about an hour or so in total) looking for the Firecrest but either it has moved on or I just wasn't lucky this time.

5 Lapwings over Salwarpe yesterday were a patch year tick.
12+ singing Chiffchaffs
2 singing Blackcaps

Other species noted this weekend included:

Yellowhammers
Linnets
Snipe
Kestrel
Sparrowhawk
Buzzard
Kingfisher
Grey Wagtails
Meadow Pipits
Skylarks
Grey Heron
Ravens
Goldcrests
singing Nuthatch
Fieldfares and Redwings
Coal Tits
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Cormorants

Bullfinch in Salwarpe village

I have spotted several times now a beautiful male bullfinch foraging at the top end of Salwarpe village.

He is generally spotted on the overgrown hedge on the right hand side of the road as you head past the village hall up to the first drive on the right (The Granary, Tithe Barn etc).

keep your eyes open.

I think this may be a regular spot as I have seen them in this area several times over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back